Format: DVD|Change

on 5 July 2002
This was the first Bollywood film I ever saw and I thought it was fantastic. Songs, dancing, scenary and story line.
It starts in London with a girl finding out that her father wants her to have an arranged marriage back in India. Despite reservations she agrees on the condition that he allows her a holiday around Europe with her friends first. Off she goes on her trip and of course, meets, hates and then falls in love with Khan.
He doesn't realise he's in love with her until after they both arrive back in London, by which time she is already on her way to the wedding in India. He decides to follow her and the story unfolds. Very sweet, very moving, a bit cheesy in parts but thoroughly entertaining with a wonderful feel good factor.
on 11 March 2007
Bought this movie after watching Fanaa. Impressed with intense acting & chemistry of the two lead actors, I browse Kajol (Fanaa's actress) and Ammir Khan (Fanaa's actor)'s movies. DDLJ came out first in the list under Kajol search in Amazon.

I prefer Fanaa in terms of acting & intensity of chemistry, but DDLJ has the innocence & liveliness of young lovers told in a simple but full of traditional values relevant to any cultured community.

I can't say I saw chemistry between the two leads as obviously as I did watching Fanaa, but then since this is about young lovers, it was fitting. But definitely I could feel the thrill & excitement of young love blooming the two lovers from beginning of the movie. Well casted and naturally acted nonetheless. After the two movies, I can safely say Kajol is a very good actor. Sharukh is also very good, though I thought his comic scenes & vocal were a bit (just)overdone. Else, they suited their characters very well.

The songs are very nice and soothing too, with Indian feel. The subtitles are very good as well.

Simply, I will encourage my young daughter to watch and absorb DDLJ for its family values and respect to the elders and the innocence of restrained love, but I will put parental guidance on the scorchingly hot Fanaa ....
on 19 January 2003
Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge focuses on the idea of an arranged marriage and trying to rebel against it, in order to marry a true love. Will the arranged marry be a success, or will the true loves break free and get together? This is a wonderful movie, with great locations, scenery and song sequences. Kajol and Sharukh Kahn look very young in this film and they exhibit great performances. An excellent bollywood classic, which you can't miss out on!
on 8 February 2005
What can i say? One of the best films ever!!!! if you love singing, dancing, romance, drama and action, this is the movie for you.
One of the longest running films in Indian cinima, DDLJ was a huge hit when it was relised, and is still going strong.
Sharuhk Khan and Kajol are now lendendary in the world of Hindi Cinima for being one of the alltime best romatic couples, there chemistry is amazing,and after wating this movie, if your not addicted to Bollywood theres something definatly wrong with you ! ;-)
on 12 March 2009
This is a classic Bollywood movie and I love it more every time I see it. I still think the pairing of Kajol with Shah-Rukh is classic. They are both very warm and dynamic actors who work well together, challenging old-fashioned ideas about how a hero and heroine should look and behave, as Shah-Rukh's personality is very warm and gentle which always comes across; and he has genuine charisma-rather than a macho front. Kajol is a beautiful dark skinned actress-something again which challenges old ideas. This film is also unusual because it is partly set in the UK and because it questioned the idea of a father knowing best for his daughter. I also love the song and dance numbers.
on 7 October 2013
Despite this being described as an "All Regions" compatible DVD, it will not play in any of the 3 DVD players in my home. Why sell a DVD on Amazon UK if it will not play in a UK DVD?! Especially when describing it as "All Regions"! Bad, bad, bad Amazon.
on 23 January 2009
I`ve seen it first when i was about 19.... i absolutely loved it...I`ve seen it about 5 times and now I`m 32 and I`d love to see it again... a softy!!! I love to cry at movies!!! and this one is beautiful and I`ve got nothing in common nor with indians, nor with hindus.... I love Shahrukh khan though!!! bless him if I spelled his name wrong!!!the movie is fascinating, please watch it and you`ll not be sorry!!!
on 1 May 2003
My wonderful assistant at my office recommended this movie for me to see, and I am forever in her debt. Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge is a timeless classic about love and spreads its appeal to all cultures all over the world. I can understand how it played in theaters in India for six years. A beautiful movie, and highly recommended.
on 1 September 2013
Really annoyed that it was a copy version and not an original! Because I was never informed otherwise on the actual site
on 4 July 2010
This is a classic Bollywood tale of love, with great chemistry between SRK and Kajol. Wonderful music, beautiful choreography and a wonderful story of love conquering all obstacles, I would reccomend it to any Bollywood fan. In fact, given the film's important place in the culture of Bollywood movies, it is practically required viewing!

The story is fairly simple, but perfectly told. Simran and Raj both live in London, but have never knowingly come into contact with one another. All this changes when they both go on a trip around Europe by train with their friends. For each of them, this is a last hurrah before settling into adult responsibilty - Raj is due to start working in his father's business, and Simran is all set for an arranged marriage to the son of one her father's friends in the Punjab - a man she has never met. At first, Raj's cheeky, never-serious attitude annoys Simran and she cannot stand to be around him. However, as the journey goes on, and a lucky accident forces them to spend time together, they grow closer and closer.

But, the trip comes to an end, and Simran is whisked off to the Punjab to be married as soon as her father catches wind of the romance she had whilst touring Europe. Raj decides to follow and win her back, but the task seems impossible. He doesn't want to elope with her, he will only be with her if he has her father's permission. Can he get it? Can the brave-hearted one win the bride? Well, you will have to watch to find out!

I can guarantee that you will be rooting for the couple all the way through. Shahrukh Khan is cheeky and immature at the beginning, but as the film goes on he becomes more and more charming, to the point of managing to woo most of Simran and her prospective husband's families! After watching this film, you will soon understand why most of India presumed that SRK and Kajol would end up married in real life - they are so good together, and I am sure their tale of love will stay with you long after the film is over.