Format: Audio CD|Change

on 17 December 2000
The Pretty Things were always one of the most underrated British bands of the sixties and seventies. They always suffered from being compared to the Stones. But let's face it - they were a lot better. Rage Before Beauty was worth waiting for. Proof that here is a band that can still do it. A band that does no go gently into that goodnight. The album is worth buying for 'Love Keeps Hanging On' alone. The most beautiful, haunting track the Pretty Things have ever recorded. Play it again and again and again.
on 15 May 2007
Actually I'm nearly the same age as the surviving Pretty Things but this is the best thing they've done since the first album, which I bought as a callow youth of fifteen back in the olden days. And can they still cut it!!!! I like their working title for the album - F**k Oasis - they prove that old rockers are still the best. No pretty production, no poncey album covers - just a bunch of old men doing what they do best. But this isn't revival music - Love Keeps Hanging On has got to be the most moving track of the century. If you've never bought a Pretty Things album, buy this - then buy everything else that a merciful God has allowed back into the catalogue.
on 5 December 1999
A true rock album by the band that is so underrated it's a crime. If you never buy another Pretties album, buy this one. They show their age, but only in their maturity - the sound and emotions are as raw as ever. I love them and they deserve to be loved.
on 1 December 2014
I don't very often post reviews for anything but I just wanted to share my experience of both this CD and The Pretty Things in general.
I am nearly 60 Years old and bizarrely enough have only just discovered this band. I am now trying to get hold of everything they have ever done and cannot believe they went under my radar for so long. I am playing all the CD's I have by them now on almost permanent rotation. Rage Before Beauty just arrived today and is playing now. It sounds almost like a Greatest Hits/ Best Of Album. In places it sounds quite like the Rolling Stones, on Track 4 you have a David Gilmour guitar solo (who has connections going back years with the band) and the album is dedicated to "the memory Peter Grant" (He signed them to his Swan Song label back in the day) Quite why this band are not absolutely HUGE is quite a mystery but all I can say is though I am quite p....d off with myself for missing out on them for so long I am hugely grateful I found out about them before I died! The Pretty Things are my new favourite old band.
on 12 October 2007
This is The Pretty Things' first studio album for nearly 20 years, and it's with the classic 1960s line-up. However, it is actually a bit of a mixed bag. This album was re-released a few years later and is much better, so I'd get that one if I was you. In fact the new version is GREAT.

Some tracks are brilliant - the biographical Vivian Prince about their wild original drummer - and Goin' Downhill in particular. Some are fillers - Everlasting Flame and Mony Mony. And some are, well, best put at the end of the album - st-john's God Give Me Strength.

Also, some tracks - such as Goin' Downhill and the cover of Eve Of Destruction - were made a decade before and by a completely different line-up.

Great to see them recording again, but buy the re-released version of this album.
on 30 November 2008
19 years in the making, during which time there had been a total meltdown in pretty world. But, far from being an embarrassing attempt by raddled old boozers to reclaim the limelight, this is a vital, powerful, edgy and superb body of work. A band that has hardly ever produced anything less than interesting in a 40+ year career here produce something close to remarkable. My only small gripe is that the couple of cover versions are completely surplus to requirements!
on 31 May 2016
really good late album from the quintessential sixties group. Standout track - Vivian Prince.
on 27 March 2016
Excellent collection of songs.