4.0 out of 5 stars If I could give halfs...
I'd give 3 and a half but I err on the side of whatever, coz it's Yes.
Published on 14 Aug 2002 by Lucas

2.0 out of 5 stars All style and no substance.
Published on 9 Aug 2002 by Graeme Stewart

4.0 out of 5 stars If I could give halfs..., 14 Aug 2002
This review is from: In A Word: Yes (1969 - ) (Audio CD)
I'd give 3 and a half but I err on the side of whatever, coz it's Yes.
I will admit that the unreleased material here is pretty throwaway stuff and I don't believe it's the reason to purchase this collection. I find it more encompassing than Yesyears but as ever, there's only so much material available so there's going to be some crossovers. Later years are covered well although the exclusion of certain tracks (in my case 'Silent Talking' from Union) will be puzzling but different strokes etc. etc.
I don't agree that the production is flat although there are slight differences with mixes to copies I already have on CD and vinyl. Generally I wasn't disappointed with the production quality and playback at high volume stood up well on my system.
The attached book does seem to restate the Chris Welch 'Close To The Edge' tome. I doubt we'll get the real story on departures/arrivals for some time if ever. To be fair I'd rather not read about my favourite musicians slagging each other to death anyway !
I'd rather concentrate on the music and the thought that these blokes are still performing/writing/recording is pretty incredible. The colour of the music here says it all for me personally. Yes are untouchable, unique and this collection, while not being all things to all fans, is pretty close to the potted history from then until now... and beyond.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Ultimate Yes Compilation?, 10 Aug 2002
Amazon Customer "matkudasai" (Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: In A Word: Yes (1969 - ) (Audio CD)
Well, given the price it should be be. As with with many box sets the packaging is terrific. There is a particularly interesting essay from Yes writer Bill Martin. In terms of the music there is a phenomenal amount of great music here but then if you're a fan of most phases of the band you'd expect that. As with any compilation there are minor criticisms that I have mainly along the lines of why is this song on rather than than this piece which is one of my favourites. For example I would have liked to see 'I See You' off the first album, 'And You and I' off Close to the Edge, 'Soundchaser' off Relayer and 'I'm Running' off Big Generator. These are minor criticisms really since even with a 5 CD set like this you'll never keep every one happy. Mostly the song selection is excellent. The sound quality also appears to have marginally improved over the 1994 reissues (apparently the entire back catalogue is going to be reissued again). A major criticism that I do have is that there isn't much new material - only about twenty minutes of new songs although some of these are very interesting. There are also some alternative versions of well known songs, eg 'The Revealing Science of God' has some atmospheric instrumental work at the beginning that I would say enhances the song. In general this a terrific box set - much better than the 1991 offering. You probably need to be a major fan of the band like me to appreciate it though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful..., 19 Feb 2003
Paul Ferguson "Gildermershina" (Glasgow, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: In A Word: Yes (1969 - ) (Audio CD)
Flat production? What is he gibbering about? I can't see anything dull, flat or lifeless in the production, in fact I actually find that other than the material up to but not including fragile (which always had quite bad sound quality) , the production has improved the sound quality quite noticably.
But enough about that. The spread of music here was desirable for me, because, being 16, i had only just started getting into Yes and other prog rock about a year and a half ago. I was quite surprised by a lot of the tracks i had never heard, most notably the Drama stuff (I always presumed Anderson-less Yes would be mostly irrelevant, however it is positively thrilling and fresh). Anyhoo, the tracks range from all the many crevices and corners of Yes' lifespan. Although most of the unreleased tracks are not that great, they are certainly nice enough to warrent release sooner or later.
The packaging and the booklet are sublime, and while the second half features some quite odd waffling and noodling, they certainly provided supremely entertaining reading.
So, despite some glaring ommisions ("Endless Dream" from Talk, "And You and I" from Close to the Edge, and perhaps a live track or two), this package is well worth the money it sells for. This sort of thing is a collectors item of unrivalled presentation. I love it to bits.
Oh and great artwork from Roger Dean.

5.0 out of 5 stars Living the Yes experience, 27 Nov 2002
R M PEARSON (GLASGOW, SCOTLAND United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: In A Word: Yes (1969 - ) (Audio CD)
For anyone wanting a definitive history of Yes then this box set is the place to start. Listening to each CD in order charts the ups and downs of a band who deserve a far greater place in the history of rock music than they have ever been given credit for. The problem Yes have always had is that like classical music their work requires an attention span of greater than three minutes which counts out most rock critics and casual buyers alike.
The songs from CD1 through to the tail end of CD3 show a band taking risks and yet continually coming up with strong songs and excellent playing. Is it just a co-incidence that the most dated sounding CD is the fourth one covering thier best selling eighties output. CD5 shows a band gradually working their way back to their true musical roots and ends with material from the latest album, the excellent ' Magnification '.
The five bonus tracks are what you would expect ie maybe not strong enough to have made a finished album but still interesting, 'Richard' in particular stands out. The packaging and booklet are superb and really add to the whole box set experience.
In summary, Although I already own most of the tracks on 'In a Word', getting this as a present allowed this Yes fan to re-live the whole experience again as well as reminding me why I enjoyed them so much in the first place. For those with only a passing interest this box set will let you in on the secret at a relatively low price when compared to buying the individual albums. The Yes back catalogue has not always been re-packaged with quality in mind, this time they have got it just right.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great collection by a great band., 5 Feb 2013
Excellent appraisal of this quintessential prog rock supergroup,good spread of classic and lesser known material all remastered in excellent sound quality,good comprehensive booklet supplied as well with lots of photos and reference material.

5.0 out of 5 stars CD: In A Word: 1969- by Yes, 20 Jan 2010
Wildchild (Sowerby Bridge, West Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
Bought this CD (5 CDs in all) for my partner who has always been a very big Yes fan and has most of the tracks on vinyl but nothing on CD. This CD has a very good selection of tracks, some lesser well-known tracks and some of the more popular tracks, and he absolutely loved it and is always playing it. It also has a booklet about Yes that comes inside the case. It was a lot cheaper than other stores and sites I looked at as well. As my partner said to me - Bargain! What a good do!

2.0 out of 5 stars All style and no substance., 9 Aug 2002
Graeme Stewart "echosnare" (Glasgow) - See all my reviews
This review is from: In A Word: Yes (1969 - ) (Audio CD)
Like many thousands(maybe millions) of YES fans I waited patiently for this 5CD boxed set,eager to hear tracks from the long lost "Paris sessions",amongst other things. Unfortunately,The unreleased material is scraping the bottom of the barrel,with the exception of the alternate take of "Fist of Fire",which is as good as the original,but not better.The packaging is good,but the booklet is let down by the waffling of Bill Martin,said by many to have a great insight into YES music,but to me, it is nothing but pretentious noodling. Even the history of the band,by Chris Welch,is only fair,as it tells nothing new about the bands' 33 year history,and skips over some of the more contentious issues,like the departures,(and returns,in some cases),of various band members.But,to the most disappointing factor.The remastering & production of the music is flat & lifeless,which is especially disappointing,considering the passion YES music has always held for me.I've listened to the CD's on FOUR different players,and it's the same on each. Dull,and empty. I even dug out some of my vinyl,bought in the '70's,and it has more punch!With the rumour of a "live archive" being released next year, I hope we won't be sold short again,with poor production,or second rate performances.

4.0 out of 5 stars Yes - a hit in our house!, 14 Jan 2010
G. Archer (Bangor, NI) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I bought this CD for my husband for Christams. He is absolutely delighted with it and it is getting continuous play. The artwork in the booklet is beautiful. Great value and good quality product. If you're a Yes fan, this one's for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars In a Word - Definitive, 21 Nov 2008
This is the more wallet-friendly re-release of the Box Set that has been out for some time now but no less beautifully packaged and with all 5 discs present and correct (its a Rhino box set so quality and superb presentation are guaranteed). If you were put off by the 50 quid price tag earlier, there are no excuses now. This really is the yardstick that all box sets should be measured by. The quality of the music needs no further introduction suffice to say that there isn't a dud track in sight. For the money, you definately can't go wrong - even those with a casual interest wouldn't feel short-changed by this set. Just go out and get it - a no-brainer really!

In A Word: Yes (1969 - )
In A Word: Yes (1969 - ) by Yes (Audio CD - 2002)