5.0 out of 5 stars Hopelessly addicted, 26 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Bach: Brandenburg Concertos (Audio CD)
This is my confessional. I heard MAK live in Adelaide in about 1987, and something must have happened to my soul - I've been addicted to them ever since. I buy up everything they out out, even if I don't like the music - just to hear them playing it. I'm like a moth to the light.

People tell me Goebel's violin playing is idiosyncratic. I read that their brandenburgs are laughable. The Penguin Guide tells me they're bad. I'm sure it's all true. But I just listen over and over. And it speaks deep into my soul. The more I listen, the more hooked I become.

I get sick of Pinnock. I get tired of Parrot. I never have enough of MAK.

It's been going on for thirty years now.

My main worry about all this is - that they might have recorded something and I've missed it!

My great sadness is the Goebel never recorded the Bach unaccompanied sonatas etc. How awesome would that have been.

Anyway, I suspect these guys have been the world's most influential early music ensemble. They've totally shaped the way I listen to and play and think about early music.

In my book, they're about 5 light years ahead of the next guys. And believe me, I've listened to the next guys.

5.0 out of 5 stars ... on vinyl and which I thought to be the best I'd heard, 17 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Bach: Brandenburg Concertos (Audio CD)
I bought this box set initially for the Orchestral Suites which I had first bought on vinyl and which I thought to be the best I'd heard; very quick - maybe too quick for some - but very virtuosic, excitingly and cleanly played, and importantly with all repeats.

I've read with interest some of the views on M.A.K's Brandenburg Concertos, having listened to them I have to say I don't think they are laughable or bad, just a little different and take a bit of getting used to. I don't understand some of Goebel's decisions with the concertos and they certainly don't displace my own favourites (the O.A.E on Virgin). Goebel's triple Concerto BWV 1044 with Wilbert Hazelzet and Andreas Staier is as fine as any of the other recordings available. The Ouverture BWV 1070 is not actually by J.S.Bach (but his eldest son W.F.Bach) but gets a reasonable performance.

The rest of the box is devoted to Chamber Music by Bach. The Flute Sonatas, the Viola da Gamba Sonatas, the Violin & Harpsichord Sonatas and various other sonatas which are less well known or performed. They are all very well played by members of M.A.K - the flautist Wilbert Hazelzet, the gambist Jaap ter Linden and the violin played by Reinhard Goebel and various continuo players.

As I initially said I bought the box for the Ouvertures which I love, but I have increasingly enjoyed the performances of the Chamber Works and especially that of the solo flute partita. And as for those Brandenburg's - well I can cope with them. The recording quality is up to Archiv's standards of the early and mid 1980's. Like Bertie I too would have loved to have had Goebel record the unaccompanied Sonatas and Partitas, they would have made the set indispensable. As it is, highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure BACH, 15 May 2009
This review is from: Bach: Brandenburg Concertos (Audio CD)
Pure sound, pure music, pure art. A DDD recording - a must have of every Bach lover. I bought and wrote this review in 2008 and now is 2011! And still just one review? I tried to compare this to everything I found and heard and none was as good as this recording. The sound is very clear, like a live performance, the harpsichord is clearly audible, they play in such a convincing way, that you fall in love with these CDs after you hear them just once. After you put it in your CD player and turn it on, you feel like in the 18th century. In those four years I have been listening these CDs, I've got never bored. The more I listen, the more I like them. I listen them even in my car! I cannot imagine our history without BACH! If it really sounded like this back in the 18th century, then I would like to go back through the time and hear and see it for myself.

Bach: Brandenburg Concertos
Bach: Brandenburg Concertos by J.S. Bach (Audio CD - 2010)