5.0 out of 5 stars Hopelessly addicted, 26 Aug 2013
This review is from: Bach: Brandenburg Concertos (Audio CD)
This is my confessional. I heard MAK live in Adelaide in about 1987, and something must have happened to my soul - I've been addicted to them ever since. I buy up everything they out out, even if I don't like the music - just to hear them playing it. I'm like a moth to the light.

People tell me Goebel's violin playing is idiosyncratic. I read that their brandenburgs are laughable. The Penguin Guide tells me they're bad. I'm sure it's all true. But I just listen over and over. And it speaks deep into my soul. The more I listen, the more hooked I become.

I get sick of Pinnock. I get tired of Parrot. I never have enough of MAK.

It's been going on for thirty years now.

My main worry about all this is - that they might have recorded something and I've missed it!

My great sadness is the Goebel never recorded the Bach unaccompanied sonatas etc. How awesome would that have been.

Anyway, I suspect these guys have been the world's most influential early music ensemble. They've totally shaped the way I listen to and play and think about early music.

In my book, they're about 5 light years ahead of the next guys. And believe me, I've listened to the next guys.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure BACH, 15 May 2009
This review is from: Bach: Brandenburg Concertos (Audio CD)
Pure sound, pure music, pure art. A DDD recording - a must have of every Bach lover. I bought and wrote this review in 2008 and now is 2011! And still just one review? I tried to compare this to everything I found and heard and none was as good as this recording. The sound is very clear, like a live performance, the harpsichord is clearly audible, they play in such a convincing way, that you fall in love with these CDs after you hear them just once. After you put it in your CD player and turn it on, you feel like in the 18th century. In those four years I have been listening these CDs, I've got never bored. The more I listen, the more I like them. I listen them even in my car! I cannot imagine our history without BACH! If it really sounded like this back in the 18th century, then I would like to go back through the time and hear and see it for myself.

Bach: Brandenburg Concertos
Bach: Brandenburg Concertos by J.S. Bach (Audio CD - 2010)