4.0 out of 5 stars hey hey hey
Only onwing the Tom Petty Anthology 76-93, i wanted to grab some of his more recent tunes after i discovered how good he was. Until a couple of months ago i didn't even know who he was, now hes one of my favourite artists ever!
Published on 21 July 2004 by Mr. P. P. Eaton

3.0 out of 5 stars Watch out it's a CD ROM
My CD Player will not play it - it has 'enhanced CD' on the sleeve (ie pictures & videos added). Strangely my DVD player will play it through the TV.
Published 9 months ago by Niolc Tiddler

4.0 out of 5 stars hey hey hey, 21 July 2004
Mr. P. P. Eaton "Philster" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Last DJ (Audio CD)
'The Last Dj' is above and behold the lead song on the album, wonderful in soundup there with his best songs ever. My other 2 personal favourites are 'The Road Ahead' and 'The Man who Loves Women'. I don't need to go into lyrical qualityas if your a Tom Petty fan you know they will be pretty good anyway. The other songs don't hook me like others as i prefer the songs which drift along with a good rythem like 'Love is a long road' and 'Change of Heart'. All in all a fine album well worth getting wether you like T.P or not.

4.0 out of 5 stars Less Is More, 11 Oct 2002
This review is from: The Last DJ (Audio CD)
Well, I've had three listens. Now, a previous problem with TP of late has been a 15 track album with too many throw away tracks. This time he reigns it in beautifully. 12 tracks, splendid writing and performances. 'When A Kid Goes Bad' descends too much into cliche, hence a star off, but the rest of the album shines. The title track is wonderful, classic Petty. His voice sounds the best it's ever been. 'Money Becomes King' is an outrageously good song. Other gems (eg the beautiful Blue Sunday and the wonderfully quirky style of 'The Man Who Loves Women) abound. There is a fair amount of orchestration - deployed with arch subtlety and intent, particularly on 'Money Becomes King', and the guitar work is a little more restrained than on some recent outings, which is vastly to the album's benefit. In short, this is TP's best for a while. Enjoy.

3.0 out of 5 stars Watch out it's a CD ROM, 8 Oct 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Tom Petty album ever, 13 Mar 2007
John F. Doyle (Ludlow, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Last DJ (Audio CD)
As the proud owner of every Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers album, I must say that this is his very best. Superb vocally as always and not a track which could even remotely be described as weak. Best songs for me are the title track and 'Have Love Will Travel'. The latter is incidentally TP's favourite too. The main theme of the album is TP's anger/despair at a music industry which has become all too shallow and corrupted from the top of the music companies and owners.

I very much reccomend that those who can should get a copy with the bonus DVD too. TP takes us through a few of the songs on the album and explains their significance a little. Other artists take note of his words too. There is no 'filler' on this album nor should there ever be on any album.

Enjoy people, this really is good!!

4.0 out of 5 stars When it's good it's very good indeed., 19 Oct 2002
This review is from: The Last DJ + Bonus DVD (Audio CD)
This is a CD that starts out very strong, in fact the first four songs are the best of the batch. They share a common theme, that being the current sorry state of the media/recording industry & it's possible I like them so much because Petty very much echoes my own views on those subjects. I do believe, however, that "Money Becomes King" is one of the better songs of Petty's career, & I will be very surprised if it doesn't quickly become a staple of his live shows. After the first four tracks the quality does decline a little. I have to disagree with Petty's opinion on the free DVD interview footage that there are no filler tracks on this album. A couple of numbers (particularly "The Man Who Loves Women") sound suspiciously like filler to my ears. I found the songs I preferred were those that have lengthier lyrics, which suggests that Petty genuinely has something to say, but some of the others seemed more like he just had a good tune in need of some words. The remaining tracks are at least average Petty songs & that's no bad thing in my opinion. Several tracks bear the unmistakable influence of his old friend George Harrison & (especially on "Dreamville") I can almost believe the late Beatle's spirit was present in the studio when it was recorded. The free DVD is a very worthwhile bonus, & in fact some songs sound rather better on the rehearsal footage featured on this disc than they do on the actual CD.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Last DJ by Tom Petty, 28 Oct 2013
P. R. Phillips (South Africa) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Last DJ (Audio CD)
I was travelling to the UK via Dubai and Tom Petty was one of the artists featured on the onboard CD system. The airline had best of comipilations of many artists. The track "The Last DJ" stood out strongly and after disappoiningly not being available in the CD stores in London, I decided to order through Amazon. I have two of Tom Petty's late 1980's albums and somehow stopped buying his albums but "The Last DJ" has renewed my interest in Tom. He's back with the Heartbreakers and I would recommend this album highly.

4.0 out of 5 stars Last DJ excellent track, shame about the rest., 21 Mar 2013
This review is from: The Last DJ (Audio CD)
The title track is excellent, some tracks disappointing with appx. 4 decent tracks. The reason I bought it was for the title track - Last DJ as it did not appear to be on any other albums.

4.0 out of 5 stars great cd. shame about the casing., 16 May 2011
Anthony Martin "music lover" (London England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Last DJ + Bonus DVD (Audio CD)
Cd is excellent and arrived very quickly. Sadly the casing was a modern cardboard type and the plastic tray was broken. This was not stated in the ad and the info would have been helpful as the cd was bought as a gift. In the end I put it in a normal plastic case with an unbroken tray.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great record, pure and simple, 24 Sep 2009
Og Oggilby "Og Oggilby" (North London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Last DJ (Audio CD)
Ordinarily, bands that have been going as long as Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers should have been washed up, going through the same tired motions, albums that consist of a few radio-friendly catchy tunes and a lot of filler. 'The Last DJ' confounds such low expectations by being a very good record indeed, with Petty picking up the lyrical cudgels on a variety of subjects, ranging from the decline of disc jockeys who actually care about music, through to corporate sponsorship of rock gigs, and society's ills in general. Angry it is, in parts at least, but there are many sumptuous melodies, and excellent musicianship to be enjoyed on this record. The overall impression left is that Tom Petty ia A Good Bloke, still in possession of most of his marbles, and still capable of delivering high-quality radio-friendly rock - but with a conscience, too. Great record, pure and simple...

4.0 out of 5 stars Return of an old friend, 16 Oct 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: The Last DJ + Bonus DVD (Audio CD)
Welcome back boys. The first track on this album is 'The Last DJ'. Hearing it is like coming home to a cozy fire. On the first play I got this tune stuck in my head. This is the track that will, ironically, get the radio play (if we're lucky) and it'll have you singing along in the car. The first few songs express Toms frustration with the music industry. Lets just say I don't think he's a big pop idol fan!
If you're familiar with previous albums, this one is more like 'she's the One' than 'Wildflowers'. There's plenty to chill out to. The lyrics are,as usual,modern poetry.
However, if like me you're looking for the rockin' track you won't find it on this album.
Still, light some candles & give it a whirl anyway!
P.S. Can we start a petition to get them to come in play in the UK? Tom! We need you!

The Last DJ
The Last DJ by Tom Petty (Audio CD - 2002)