5.0 out of 5 stars It took me 5 years to find it, but I am glad I did
I never understood the hype around 24. I never got to see the first episode on TV of any series, and couldn't dedicate the time to it, so never gave it a chance.

Someone recently said it was like the Bourne Identity, which I loved and the box set was very reasonably priced on amazon at the time, so I thought I would give it a go.

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!! By...
Published on 17 Mar 2007 by Darryl Curtis

3.0 out of 5 stars 6 episodes worth of material dragged, stretched and repeated over 24 episodes
24 suffers from being 6 episodes worth of material being dragged, repeated and stretched out over 24 episodes. A good example would be when a character bangs her head and is afflicted with amnesia for 4 episodes then `cured' and it is never brought up again. This is sadly very obviously done because they had nothing for that character to do for these episodes and so this...
Published 20 months ago by Mr Blonde

‹ Previous | 1 2 329 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't expect early nights watching this!, 31 July 2005
This review is from: 24: Season One DVD Collection [DVD] (DVD)
My friend offered to lend me this "24" series and I resisted. Fortunately he harassed me to take it and give it a try. Boy am I glad he did! It is simply the best series I have ever seen and expect to see in my life. It truly is compulsive viewing after about the first 5 minutes. I have never had so many late nights all in a row. The multiple cliffhangers at the end of each show kept you wanting more and more. Twists and turns all the way through, none of them did I guess. The end is truly mind blowing. Amazing. I feel excited at the thought of watching Series 2 which I will be doing asap! Keifer Sutherland is fantastic as Jack Bauer, along with the supporting cast who are all believable as their character. If you are reading this I assume you have not bought this DVD yet, just buy it and you will not regret it!

5.0 out of 5 stars 24 first series, 19 Feb 2005
This review is from: 24: Season One DVD Collection [DVD] (DVD)
This is one of the best action/suspense series i have seen in a very long time. The action is all the way through and you don't know what is going to happen. You do not get bored at all it is a very adictive series you just cannot wait to see the next episode. great, fantastic, you will just love watching and want more and more

5.0 out of 5 stars MOST EXCITING SHOW IN YEARS!!!!, 14 Feb 2005
H. R. Trigg "howietUK" (Swindon, Wilts United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 24: Season One DVD Collection [DVD] (DVD)
(See above for the show synopsis)
I never saw a single episode of this show on TV; I can't commit to 24 episodes of any show - I just know I'll miss a few. And on top of that, I'm not a fan of Keifer Sutherland either, so this was a no go for me from the start. And the show didn't sound like anything particularly original...
Wow - have I been missing out. After nagging from my friends, I borrowed series 1, and literally, I was gripped from the first hour (episode). This is without a doubt, one of the most exciting and addictive shows I have seen in years! The acting from all is superb, and there are so many twists and turns you are so anxious to watch the next episode, desperate to know what happens next.
Brilliantly written and superbly put together, I defy anyone NOT to be thoroughly impressed.

5.0 out of 5 stars 24 is the best TV crime drama ever., 28 Mar 2003
24 is the best high octane dramas that you will ever see. Set over the course of one day. Each 45 minute episode is set in one hour of the day, starting at 12:00 midnight. You follow the high ranking CTU (Counter Terrorist Unit) Officer, Jack Bower as he tries to unfold a terrorist organisation that is trying to assassinate a presidential candidate, David Palmer.
The plot unfolds as one of his famaly members gets kidnapped by the terrorists and Jack has to save them. This Action drama has more clever twists and turns than any tv series or film than i have ever seen. In my eyes it is the best thing, by far, on tv since the start of the millenium. The action sequences and complex storyline will keep any viewer obsessed and on the egde for all 24 episodes.

5.0 out of 5 stars TV Drama of The Highest Standard, 25 Aug 2006
Scully Bloke (Wiltshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: 24: Season One DVD Collection [DVD] (DVD)
I never watched the show on TV, just heard from a number of people that it was good. I also dont watch TV much, just an hour or two a week.

Have to say myself and my partner watched this within just a few nights. We couldnt switch off. Its very compeling, very entertaining.

Its also much better to have it on DVD than wait a week between episodes on the TV.

This is TV drama of the highest standard.

5.0 out of 5 stars Immediately addictive, 21 Jun 2006
This review is from: 24: Season One DVD Collection [DVD] (DVD)
I bought this after a friend bugged me for ages about it. Bought it to see what the hype was about, watched 1st episode and immediately hooked! Couldnt stop watching.

Buy this and you will not regret it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbeatable., 15 Jun 2002
This review is from: 24: Season One DVD Collection [DVD] (DVD)
In a nutshell, Kiefer Sutherland plays Jack Bauer who works for a Counter Terrorist unit trying to prevent the assassination of a Senator who is in the running to become President. And the rest! It is hard to talk about 24 without giving away nuggets of information, needless to say Jack Bauer (and pretty much everyone else) has a nightmare of a day which is bad for him but excellent for us, the viewer. The programme kicks off at midnight and each episode relates to an hour in this nightmare day for Jack and co. As time ticks on more characters are thrown into the mix, more sub-plots are introduced and you find yourself watching about three or four separate storylines all weaving in and out of each other. There are more plot twists and excitement in a single episode of 24 than some series can pull together in their entirety. If you haven't seen this programme then buy it now and watch it - you will be unable to peel your eyes off the screen. If you have seen it then surely you cannot resist the temptation to own a part of television history. Class!

5.0 out of 5 stars WARNING: 24 may just ruin your life, 4 Feb 2005
This review is from: 24: Season One DVD Collection [DVD] (DVD)
A piece of advice to anybody with anything important coming up in their lives; click this window closed, turn off your computer and think happy thoughts of kittens and daisies. If you buy this DVD it will dominate your life until you have watched it all, then you will sell your family into slavery to support your 24 habit, from there it is a downward spiral into obsession, you may find a partner in crime and attempt 24 marathons (this is really not a good idea). On the other hand, if you have nothing better to do with your life, buy this without delay.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not the best series ever.....that is one of the later days!, 14 Mar 2007
This review is from: 24: Season One DVD Collection [DVD] (DVD)
When I first heard about a tv show that lasted a full 24 one hour show that follow on I thought it was the worst idea EVER..... but got a cheap copy and now I cant get enough of it!

Jack Bauer (Sutherland) is by turns the hero and the villan who has some agonising chioces to make throughout the day of the presidential primary.

With his daughter and wife kidnapped and an attempt on the president it is all go with very little let up.

Supported by his collegues at CTU (Counter Terrorist Unit) Los Angeles he tracks down those resbonsibly finds the traitors and gets his family back only for a final twist of the knife to be played at the end!

The gloves are off and the gauntlet thown down for the pace and genious of the 24 brand can the other series keep up?

If you like any form of film (except romance) you will like this it has action suspense and much more including 23 cliffhanging endings

5.0 out of 5 stars Tick, tick, tick, tick........., 2 May 2006
Mr. R. Edmonds "sneaker" (Lincoln, uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 24: Season One DVD Collection [DVD] (DVD)
What can I say that others haven't?

The answer is not much, but I'm such a huge fan of the show that I had to stick my opinions in.

The first wave of enthusiasm for 24 passed me by as I am never one to jump on the band wagon. A simmering interest passed me by when the box sets started coming out. Then I was off work ill and a friend had the first three series on dvd, so he lent me the first one.

BLEW MY MIND!!!

I could not just watch one episode. It was always a case of,

"I'll just watch one more......"

Never happened!

You know the formula by now. Series takes place over one day, twenty four episodes, each episode (with ads) is an hour and was an experiment to see if real time could be done on the small screen. Thrills, spills, danger, excitement, cliffhangers and yet another surprise around every corner.

You have to love this kind of stuff though. My girlfriend has just sat through the first series after I purchased it here on Amazon and although she got into it and was interested to see what happened next, the shockers in the last two episodes went by without so much as a flicker.

Twenty four episodes of pretty much the same plot was daring and it pretty much works. There are weaker moments and to be honest, even as a huge fan there were times that I found myself saying,

"For god's sake!! Not again!!"

as the plot took yet another turn to fill the obvious void.

This has been ironed out in future series, as has my other mild complaint. It's not really a complaint as the story moves at such a pace that there is probably no call for it. There is no comic relief. No down time. Now, the story is good and the plot twists are fantastic and keep you guessing. There really is no time to joke around, but sometimes you do just need a light hearted moment to bring you down and get you ready to be thrilled again.

The cast is perfect. Keifer is perfect for Jack. Even his voice is perfect for the character who has a back story bigger than the complete works of Shakespeare. Elisha Cuthbert as Kim again is totally spot on. She's the eye candy the men love, she's sexy enough, strong, feisty and also gives Kim Bauer the edge on combining all of this with being dopey and helpless enough to get herself into yet another scrape. The rest of the cast compliment each other beautifully, so much so that it really works.

On the whole, this is the ideal programme to watch if you like action, plot twists, suspense, cliffhangers and general all round goodies, baddies, goodies who may be baddies and all that.

Totally recommended, 24 is addictive with that added twist of real time.

A winner!!

‹ Previous | 1 2 329 | Next ›

24: Season One DVD Collection [DVD]
24: Season One DVD Collection [DVD] by Kiefer Sutherland (DVD - 2002)
16.49