5.0 out of 5 stars An astonishing performance from Rod Steiger
Rod Steiger at the height of his powers creates a tension that builds throughout the film. Based on the Boston Strangler this movie stands up to repeated viewing if only for Steiger's Macbeth speach. A truly remarkable movie from a remarkable and sadly uner rated actor.
Published on 26 Mar. 2004 by martin35161

1.0 out of 5 stars The DVD would not play and I had to return ...
The DVD would not play and I had to return it to America at cost of £3.80 with no guarantee of a refund.

I have bought many DVDs from Amazon over the years with no problems, but I felt very much let down this time

M.E.J.Matthews
Published 15 days ago by M.E.J.Matthews

5.0 out of 5 stars An astonishing performance from Rod Steiger, 26 Mar. 2004
This review is from: No Way to Treat a Lady [DVD] [1968] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC] (DVD)

4.0 out of 5 stars Another one way overdue for R2 release, 16 Feb. 2008
I've given four stars to it based on distant memory only, but I know it gripped me when I saw it last, yonks ago. I would love the chance to buy it and then re-rate it, but I can't imagine it would be downgraded, even though I am an extremely hard marker. Yes, Steiger was the stand out thing in it, as he so often is in movies he's in. It is worth owning for his charisma alone. So, please studios, release this DVD very soon on Region 2 so us Brits and Europeans can marvel at this dark thriller.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lurid colours, great central performance, 8 Mar. 2013
Mr. AR MORGAN - See all my reviews
Arrived very quickly from time of order and the movie itself was quirky. The humour was fine in the relationship of the policeman to his mother, but seemed chilling when the same quips and puns were employed by the killer. Rod Steiger pulled off the role well - a genuinely great actor playing a hammy failed thespian trying to prove something to his dead mother. Lee Remick was beautiful and the photography was good. Nice to see such rich colours - it is nowadays too common to have a drained palette in movies. My only problem was witnessing the killer's conversations with his unsuspecting victims, seeing them being charmed and wooed. The Boston Strangler left the fleshing out of the victims to the imagination - what I felt disturbing is that all of the victims were made sweet and likeable in those prolonged intimate conversations, and yet, once they were done away with, the movie passed on, as if the viewer was expected to treat them with the same disdain felt by the killer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Movie...!, 10 April 2010
SE Timmins "Steve Timmins" (England) - See all my reviews
I watched first many years ago, and it is still a great movie today. Rod Steiger plays the part perfectly.

You will need a region free DVD player to play this DVD, if you are living at Europe or the United Kingdom.

WELL WORTH THE PRICE!
Best Regards
Steve Timmins

5.0 out of 5 stars Very, Very "different" Criminal movie, 8 Feb. 2013
In my opinion I very, very underrated fantastic classic criminal movie.
Why has this movie been almost forgotten ?
Starring : Rod Steiger, George Segal & Lee Renick
I shouldn't go wrong - and it don't !!

To anyone who loves a good, but not ordinary crime - highly recommended !

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyably Unusual., 26 Sept. 2009
Mr. Mark K. Hughes "Mark Karl" (Manchester, England) - See all my reviews
I say that this film is enjoyably unusual because though it deals with a serial killer it has a very rich vein of dark comedy running throughout. Steiger is excellent as our killer adopting different guises in order to kill women who are vaguely his mothers age. Segal is superb as the put upon detective Mo Brummel who lives with his over protective mother (a standout performance by Eileen Heckart) Lee Remick is stunning to look at as Mo's new girlfriend but she isnt called upon to do very much but she and Segal have some lovely scenes as their romance burgeons, especially when she is introduced to his mother.
If you are a fan of either Steiger, Segall, Heckart or Remick this is a very worthwhile film, neatly directed with some lovely character actresses popping up...Doris Roberts in a tangerine wig and Ruth White playing a German Hausfrau. All in all a very worthy addition to my collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Black comedy at it's best!, 14 Mar. 2015
I have loved this film ever since I first saw it in the cinema many years ago. It is one of the best 'Black Comedies' around, featuring a great cast headed by Rod Steiger. It did make occasional appearances on British TV but, for whatever reason, it seems to have fallen out of popularity.
I wondered if it was a PC thing, as Steiger plays an ageing Gay man who goes around strangling elderly women in their homes.
As it's only available in Region 1 format I had to buy a Multi Region DVD player. I bought an LG DP542H for just over £50-00 which does the job far better than the price suggests.
If you like Black Comedies then make an effort to watch this one, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 23 Nov. 2014
I'am very happy for this dvd, as I've been waiting for years to get an English version.

5.0 out of 5 stars But Steigers part stands the test of time he is absolutely brilliant then he always was, 14 Oct. 2014
Yes some of the acting is dated of course. But Steigers part stands the test of time he is absolutely brilliant then he always was. This man was one of the most under rated actors of all time.This film is a must for any Rod Steiger fan. The story is based on the Boston Strangler. I think i will watch it again this evening its that good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Black comedy with a light touch, 4 Jun. 2014
Michael Trolan "Von Croy's smarter brother" (Northumbria, England) - See all my reviews
After waiting 20 years for this movie to appear on TV I bought the DVD, and am pleased I did. Made when a film about the hunt for a serial killer didn't have to be a gross-out, it features delicious performances from George Segal as the overworked detective son of a suffocating Jewish mother, and Lee Remick as his sparky girl friend. Rod Steiger, in flat out overacting mode, is a sight to marvel at as he quick-changes disguises and accents, mixing random gobbets of Shakespearian verse into his telephoned taunts to the hapless Segal. I've never been too sure what a guilty pleasure is, but No way to Treat a Lady is one of mine, and I hope it will soon be one of yours.

No Way to Treat a Lady [DVD] [1968] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]