4.0 out of 5 stars a great band like this will do amazing
Published on 4 Mar 2003 by Annie

3.0 out of 5 stars good old punk
The Starting Line are basically 'New Found Glory part 2' and thats not a bad thing (if you like New Found Glory at least). The Starting Line are don't offer anything really new or original, but they produce the same good old happy punk-pop tunes that NFG do, and they do a damn good job of it.
Basically if u like NFG or any other punk-pop band like Blink 182, Green...
Published on 16 Aug 2002

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars a great band like this will do amazing, 4 Mar 2003
Annie (northumberland United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Say It Like You Mean It (Audio CD)
i saw these guys at a concert at newcastle uni, i haddnt heard of them, but how great were they!! ive seen them on p-rock since then and their new song is the bestest. i went straight out and bought their album from a popular record store and it has been stuck in my stereo ever since. songs "like saddest girl story" and "almost there, going nowhere" will appeal to everyone and they provide a range of styles which work really well. the lead singer guy is totally hot so you got something pretty to look at too. i recon you all need to get this album cos its a must for any punk/rock/ska fan.

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing!, 25 Jun 2003
Sarah Oliver (Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Say It Like You Mean It (Audio CD)
I brought this album, mainly because I've become a fan of many of the drive thru bands so I thought I'd check these guys out. As soon as I put this CD on, I fell in love with it. From start to finish this album does not disappoint. It is now one of my absolute favorite CD's, I've been listening to it non stop since I got it and I'm still not bored. The best tracks in my opinion are Given the chance, best of me, cheek to cheek, hello houston, the drama summer and this ride, although to be honest there is not one track that has me reaching for the 'skip' button. Although this album is somewhat overproduced, the songs are all performed so well, with so much energy, that its hard not to love it.
If you're looking for some furious, edgy punk then I'd suggest you leave this one on the shelf. On the other hand, if you want an album filled with upbeat melodies and infectious hooks that will have you jumping around your room, then give starting line a go. Once you've listened, you'll see that the starting line are much more than 'just another pop punk band'.

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than the Ataris, but still generic..., 5 Aug 2004
This review is from: Say It Like You Mean It (Audio CD)
While I was ordering 'Blue Skies, Broken Hearts...Next 12 Exits' by 'The Ataris', I noticed a link to this album in the 'Customers who bought this also bought...' section of the page. I had another £9 left to spend on my gift voucher, so I took a gamble on this. I'm glad I did.
I have to say, it's nowhere near ground breaking stuff.....at all. More mature than Blink 182, more up-beat than The Ataris, but still pretty much the same stuff. In fact, at one point I didn't even notice when my playlist transitioned between TSL and The Ataris.
That's the only bad thing I can say about the album.....it's just......generic. In fact I've listened to this album at least 8 times over, compared to the...oh....TWICE that I listened to the Ataris album I bought at the same time, and that's a very good album. That's got to stand for something.
If you're looking to expand your musical horizons, don't bother.
If you're looking for more of the same, and a safe purchase, this album is for you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another drive-thru band, 19 Sep 2003
This review is from: Say It Like You Mean It (Audio CD)
If you like any of the 'drive-thru records' bands, especially New Found Glory, then you will 100% love the Starting line.
Produced by Mark Trombino (who also produced Blink 182's classic Dude Ranch album) it is pack full of catchy 'pop punk' songs but with bit more feeling than some of their counterparts i.e Sum 41. My personal best track off the album is 'This Ride' which features Nate Barcalow of Finch, another Drive-thru band.
It only gets 4 out of 5 stars because I feel they sound too much like NFG and the sound is also slightly overproduced, but if none of that bothers you, than sit back, listen and enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just a perfect pop rock album, 29 Oct 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Say It Like You Mean It (Audio CD)
Why this obsession with categorising bands - punk, pop-punk, emo, emo-core, blah, blah...who cares what label you stick on it - just listen to the song samples. If you like excellent songs, well produced, well played, loud guitars and great vocals then just buy this. Of course you've heard this sort of stuff before. Every good tune was written in the sixties and has been reformulated since then in every shape and size - this is just a very good reformulation and it sounds great in the car....very loud. The Starting Line (along with the magnificent Ataris) are simply better at this kind of thing than anyone else.

5.0 out of 5 stars Writing A Review Like I Mean It ..., 18 Oct 2003
This review is from: Say It Like You Mean It (Audio CD)
This CD is slightly overproduced. There, I've said it. However, only slightly. And, obviously, it didn't stop me giving the disk a five-star rating. This is because you can't help but love it. It's not "true punk" in a 'grr rebellion' type way, but its certainly very good music which cannot help put you in a good mood. I would say the best tracks are (in my opinion) ...
Up And Go
Best Of Me (the first single and you can see why)
A Goodnight's Sleep (slightly different to the rest of the CD with a lot slower pace, but still a great song with an into I simply adore)
Almost There, Going Nowhere (I love the riff that opens and is implemented halfway through the song. Combined with the drums ... magical. Possibly my favourite part of any song ever, and if not the top certainly in the top five)
Cheek To Cheek (a bone of contention for some, worse than the non-album version as it lacks emotion somewhat and the pace is slowed, but it stills works well and I love the lyrics)
The Drama Summer (acoustic track with just Kenny and a guitar, perhaps lyrically weak but sounds great and really sums up the summery mood for me)
All in all, a quality release for fans of the pop-punk/emo genre (or of good music for that matter)

5.0 out of 5 stars If you take your music seriously, buy this!, 28 Oct 2003
This review is from: Say It Like You Mean It (Audio CD)
I discovered TSL by accident, I live where punk is frowned upon (minus Avril, of course). I have been obsessed with them ever since. The most instantly attractive song is The Best Of Me, which was a single, and has a weird edgy happy quality to it. It's one of the few happy songs on the album. Most of the riffs feel happy, though the lyrics are painful to listen to. The saddest songs are Cheek To Cheek and The Drama Summer (lead vocalist Ken Vasoli wrote that by himself.) My personal favorite is Hello Houston, where Ken holds a conversation with himself. This album is a bit polished though, and not as enjoyable as their first EP, With Hopes Of Starting Over. Two of the songs from tha have been reworked for Say It Like You Mean It, but the EP is worth buying just for the originals of those two songs. Nevertheless, Say It Like You Mean It is a great debut and the lyrics seen somehow accomplished for a band as young as this.
Anybody who is into any of the Drive-Thru bands will join me as a TSL obsessive. I'm just waiting for another break to happen, because they will explode onto the UK music scene very soon.

5.0 out of 5 stars what a fresh band!, 26 April 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Say It Like You Mean It (Audio CD)
I heard of this band last summer and i've been waiting and waiting to get their album ever since. Ok, so they're may be hundreds upon hundreds of bands out there who are in the same emo caterogy as these guys, but this band is different from them..i dont know how, they just are. My only fear now is that they get noticed by all the dam teeny boppers and end up on Kerrang or something *cringe* These guys have a bright future ahead of them if they're producing music like this so early in their careers.

5.0 out of 5 stars review of both albums! AMAZING, 25 Feb 2003
This review is from: say it like you mean it (Audio CD)
The first time I heard the band was when thry supported New Found Glory in May last year and i fell in love with them and have loved them ever since. I think they are amazing and every single song of theirs is so good and really catchy. The first album, with hopes of starting over only has 5 songs on it but is really really good. I'd say that three's a charm would have to be the best song on it. I got hooked on that song and literally couldn't stop listening to it. The second album is truly amazing and i love the song left coast envy the most. All the songs that Kenny Vasoli (vocals, bassist) writes are to do with his every day life and problems so he basically writes his thoughts which is what makes them so meaningful and we can relate to them. I seriously reccomend that everyone should buy this album cos I am hooked on it and they are my favourite band now!!!!!!! Tis a fine album and defenitely deserves 5 stars so go buy it oh and also buy the first one as well cos three's a charm is an amazing song!...

5.0 out of 5 stars THIS ALBUM IS THE BEST, 26 July 2002
This review is from: say it like you mean it (Audio CD)
This is the only album in my collection that doesn't have 1 bad song on it. HONESTLY!!! This is the most amazing pop/punk album yet. NEW FOUND GLORY'S album 'Sticks & Stones' is damn good to but comparing it to 'SAY IT LIKE YOU MEAN IT' you see The Starting Line's album is far better. The first song 'Up & Go' grabs your attention straight away with it's rad intro. But listening to there new version of leaving amazed me. IT'S SO MUCH MORE PUNKY.Best of me is the first song I heard... and thats the song that made me buy it.Ken Vasoli's vocals have really improved since the EP. The song 'Goodnights sleep' really does prove it. The drumming is amazing,actually everything is.The Starting Line's talent has not been commercialised which I'm well happy about.Once they become famous there's no joy in listening to what everyone else listens to!!!! Their remake of Saddest girl story is far better because of the sound quality. At first it sounds a bit weird but listen to it properly and you can tell it's better.
THIS ALBUM RULES,BUY IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

say it like you mean it
say it like you mean it by The Starting Line (Audio CD)