Format: Audio CD|Change

on 19 May 2007
I can understand why tramp fans might not warm to this album immediately.

It is totally unlike the supertramp we remember of yesteryear, but I wonder what fans expected. Two years previous to this release Roger Hodgson,(the high voiced and more commercially viable singer)had gone solo so Supertramp, with Rick Davies at the helm had to regroup,dust itself off and carry on. Listen to Rick Davies' earlier offerings and it is obvious to see that this album was always going to air on the side of blues and Jazz. What came out of his writing efforts was a slick, punchy, quasi-jazz/rock affair with a crunch to the the drums and a tight parping horn section with some superb jazz sax from John Helliwell - At this point in the mid eithties it was as well produced and perhaps as mechanic as say scritti polliti. Drum machines were king and somehow the tramp made their drummer sound like a drum machine!, playing heavier more obvious beats than previous more lucid and rythmic structures. Overall I like it, but I think you have to appreciate Jazz more with this album than any other tramp record this side of Crisis what Crisis. There are some lovely melodies and good but perhaps too few songs here considering the opus Brother where you bound track is 8-9 mins long. That track stands out for me as one of Ricks best ever, being a multi faceted affair which needs a few listens to fully appreciate. It's easily their best post Hodgson record in my opinion.
Co-produced by the band and David Kershenbaum, this 1985 and forty-three-minute album was the first since the departure of Roger Hodgson. Consequently, it's an album wholly of Rick Davies's songs and all that that stands for: a rhythm and blues inflection, and a focusing on his relationship with his girl. With Roger gone, this also means more of an American feel to the album. Whilst still dominated by Rick Davies, there is some progress in the use of some electronic elements, and these - when allied to the rhythm and blues foundation - do produce a new `pop' sound for the band. It's just a shame that the songs do not stand up well to the new treatment. (I should point out that the remastered sound is excellent.)

For me, all songs are merely three stars (in Amazon terms = `OK'); but I do give the opening track `Cannonball' four (= `I like it'). `Cannonball' is an eight-minute impressive west-coast instrumental/song over a perpetual drum-bass-piano beat. As for the rest, `Still in Love' is a repeat of earlier work, with Hodgson-style vocals supplied by `Che Che'; `No Inbetween' has feeble artificial strings (none are credited but the fairlight and synclavier are), and its lyrics hint at underlying tensions - Rick Davies sings of needing to be free again, which can be read as a biography of the group ("You're either up there, or ..."); `Better Days' starts well and features the voices of politicians old and new, but soon gets bogged down.

The title track lasts seventeen minutes, and features Dave Gilmour's powerful guitar-work. It opens with quotes from 1984's Big Brother and seems to be some paranoid anti-Communist rant; I hope it's ironical rather than sincere. The sax sounds out of place and the whole piece has diversions that seem crude and appear merely to fill out the time. The album ends with `Ever Open Door', in which we're told that "sharing's good ...", apparently.

So, here's a different Supertramp in both sound and line-up, but keeping some of Rick Davies's traditional inflexions in terms of song-writing and performance. It's just a shame Roger left, but as they both state on the DVD `Supertramp: The Story So Far' (review pending), their differing styles meant that they felt there were two brushes trying to paint on the same canvas.
on 22 July 2000
After Hogdson departed the group, the 4 remaining members had to try and get "the ball rolling" for their new album.
"Brother Where You Bound" is an epic record - nearly 17 minutes long!
Personally, I am not a great fan of this album, but it's worth noting the best single on it - "Cannonball". A step-aside for Supertramp, as it contains a more electric feel to the music.
Still, it has to be seen as a classic and a must for all fans!
on 20 November 2012
its the only work of the group that i had'nt yet .and i like very much of the sound of Rick's piano and helliwell's sax .
on 12 March 2016
Of the later period of Supertramp Albums; after Roger Hodgson had left - this one, in my opinion, is the best.
on 12 September 2015
This is a great album to listen to while you're driving, I had it on tape so great to finally have it on cd
on 15 November 2010
For some reason I waited 25 years to buy this album.Having fell in love with the track Cannonball from there Auto-biography album,I always wandered if the album from where it came,would be of similiar sound.I took the chance and purchased it,a little later than i should have done,but i did.
From my point of view,this album was just spellbinding.I have the most amazing collection of a variety of music,and this is without doubt the greatest album I have ever heard.Every track is brilliant,and even though the title track seems a tad long at over 16 minutes,it is'nt.It leaves you wanting even more.
All I can say,is I just wish there had been one or two more tracks on the album,because for me the Album is just to short,and leaves you wanting more.The use of the piano and the saxophone on this album,proves that rock music is not all about guitars.It is simply stunning.Just put the album on,and leave it on repeat!
Honestly its that brilliant.
on 25 April 2016