5.0 out of 5 stars the nutcracker
It is true that the visual quality of this dvd cannot match the more modern versions from the ROH. But in all other respects it is outstanding and exceeds them.

Published 21 months ago by micky quinn

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting!
Published on 18 Dec 2003 by Kim

5.0 out of 5 stars the nutcracker, 26 Nov 2012
This review is from: Tchaikovsky : The Nutcracker [DVD] [2005] (DVD)

A special quality shines out from the screen in this performance. Other reviewers have mentioned the standard of acting and dancing and this is exemplified in the first act when the children enter. Just look at their spirit and the interaction of the adult dancers.

It is above all, for me, the musical qualities which set the seal on this disc. Gennady Rozhdestvensky as conductor judges everything to perfection, lively in most of act 1 and yet beautifully warm and expressive in the Transformation scene. That same fine judgement as to tempo and expression are displayed throughout. I am sorry to say that other conductors seem quite pedestrian by comparison.

So yes, buy this dvd and give yourself a treat not only for Christmas but the whole year round.

5.0 out of 5 stars the nutcracker, 1 Feb 2012
Mrs. W. J. Colvin (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tchaikovsky : The Nutcracker [DVD] [2005] (DVD)
This is an old production by Peter Wright of the Nutcracker and in my opinion the best.I first saw this on the tv and was captivated by it.I was delighted that i could still get it from Amazon,Anthony Dowell and Lesley Collier are magic as the lead rolls,they are well supported by Julie Rose and Guy Niblett and Michael Cole as Herr Drosselmeyer.
The duets are heartstopping,The whole production and cast and orchestra are without doubt the best
Anyone who loves the ballet cannot be anything but enchanted by this production,

5.0 out of 5 stars never get tired of this version!, 16 Nov 2005
bob (kansas city, missouri USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tchaikovsky : The Nutcracker [DVD] [2005] (DVD)
this is (in my opinion) one of the most wonderfully entertaining of one of the worlds favorite ballets. Carol Ballard did a wonderful job of directing. The scenes are set up just right for the time period along with the costumes. Everyone,including the children are wonderful actors and dancers.I must say i am not usually into ballet,except there is something about this production that just holds my attention. I have watched this show over and over on vhs and since finding it at amazon.uk i have decided to buy the dvd version. it doesn't have alot of extras,but thats not important to me, i just want it on dvd because i know it will easily outlast my vhs copy.
i highly recommend anyone that i looking for a wonderful show for the holidays to buy or rent this dvd.

5.0 out of 5 stars introduction to the dance, 10 Feb 2013
This review is from: Tchaikovsky : The Nutcracker [DVD] [2005] (DVD)
I would recommend this DVD to anyone who has never been to a ballet to buy this one. The dancing is superb and the music is
wonderful.

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting!, 18 Dec 2003
This review is from: Tchaikovsky : The Nutcracker [DVD] [2005] (DVD)
When I was a kid my mum was determined that I was going to like ballet and she bought me the video of this version of Nutcracker in an attempt to make me like it and it bored me to tears, so it sat on my shelf for many years doing nothing more constructive than gathering dust. A few years ago I forced myself to watch it again and despite the fact that the tape was now so warped that it juddered it was actually a whole lot better than I remembered it being! Not the best version ever, but still pretty good! Okay so I bought the DVD to make me look intelligent... and it's incredibly dated, but it's not a bad version!

5.0 out of 5 stars .nutcracker, 18 Dec 2011
This review is from: Tchaikovsky : The Nutcracker [DVD] [2005] (DVD)
excellent dvd, my 4 yr old daughter loved it and danced all the time whilst she was watching it. Highly recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars Anthony Dowell The Nutcracker DVD, 18 Nov 2013
Spenver (Bodmin Cornwall) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tchaikovsky : The Nutcracker [DVD] [2005] (DVD)
I saw a production on TV a few years ago and hoped it was this one - it wasn't. This seemed to lack the Christmassy feel and parts were very drawn out - also my [particular copy was grainy.

Tchaikovsky : The Nutcracker [DVD] [2005]
Tchaikovsky : The Nutcracker [DVD] [2005] by John Vernon (DVD - 1998)
11.15