5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Prog.
Published on 1 Feb. 2009 by andrew connolly

3.0 out of 5 stars Carry On Carrying On
Published on 8 Mar. 2009 by K. Jamison

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Prog., 1 Feb. 2009
This review is from: Ultimate Kansas (2CD) (Audio CD)
If you were in your mid-teens during the period 1972-76, as indeed I was, then there was a good chance you would have been into the classic British prog-rock genre,or at least been aware of its existance.Since then,like most people, my tastes have expanded to include many other styles of music....my last purchase was The Smiths.But at heart I'm still a proggy, and it's so refreshing all these years later to come across fresh music from that period which I have never heard before. And two things about this album stand out. Not only is the musical expression so inventive and catchy, but it sounds so incredibly like the British music of that period. Can this really be an American band! It's an amalgam of stuff like Genesis, ELP,Caravan, Camel and Jethro Tull from the Thick as a Brick period, and I even got a hint of the exellent Greenslade in there. But please don't think that its all a collection of rip-offs and plagurism. No way....its all their own stuff. For any prog lovers out there who feel that their catallogue of favourite stuff is now getting a bit limited through over-usage, I truly recommend this "best of" collection. I can't possibly see how you might regret it.Buy it and have as much enjoyment as I have.

4.0 out of 5 stars from www.progarchives.com, 24 April 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Ultimate Kansas (2CD) (Audio CD)
This is exactly what it says it is, ''The Ultimate Kansas''. All the songs have been remastered for the highest possible quality and they feature the very best of the KANSAS catalog in a refreshingly potent and aurally intoxicating way.
KANSAS blazed a trail for all the prog rockers that came after them with their free spirited lyrics and adventurous musically complex arrangements. They hailed from Topeka, KANSAS, and their chances to succeed were against all odds. Their tremendous success is what makes their legacy that much more interesting and incredible. So it's not only the music that tells the story, it's the band and the individuals that made the music that completes this fantastic circle of emotions and sound.
I don't think you will find a better collection of KANSAS at their peak, and that includes the previously released boxed set. There are 26 tracks, no fluff or filler, just primo prog-rock found in each and every track. How many groups can put out a two CD Best Of set without one dud on it? Not many, trust me. Appropriately, their most recognizable song besides "Dust In The Wind," "Carry On Wayward Son," leads off this marvelous two CD set. And everything else that follows is equally gripping and exhilarating. One of the best one-two-punch rock vocal duos ever known paired Steve Walsh, who also played keyboards, and Robbie Steinhardt, who gave the group a definitely progressive flavor with his vigorous electric violin, gave their music unrivaled emotion and body. And the prolific writing talents of Kerry Livgren, who also played a mighty guitar, were major cogs in the KANSAS music machine.
"What's On My Mind" is my favorite track, I find it irresistible, and it's very hard not to sing to, it's a real rocker with deep and meaningful lyrics. In fact, all of the KANSAS songs have a lot of meaning; there is a two fold reason why so many people enjoy their music. It's not only the sounds, it's the subject matter of the songs that people can relate to their own lives that makes it so appealing. "Portrait (He Knew)" has to be one of the most thought provoking rock songs ever recorded; it's about Albert Einstein, which I never knew. If you listen closely it really hits the mark. "Sparks Of The Tempest" is another rocker that I always loved with mythology and an ancient civilization as the stage.
Reflecting upon my own history listening to the group, I found ''Monolith'', ''Leftoverture'' and ''Point Of Know Return'' to be the strongest material of their career. Although all their music was great, these are the three albums I remember most.
The last track is a live version of "Magnum Opus," and what a rocking and powerful version it is. I have had the pleasure to see the group live in 1983 and then most recently on July 7th of this year. If you listen to this and get excited about catching them live, that's a good thing. Please remember that they are not the same group they once were. They were good, but nothing like they were when all the original members were together in their prime.
If you need a good introduction to this group this is a great place to start, then work your way back through their catalog. If you happen to have every release, this would be nice to have all of the best packed into two discs rather than skipping around looking for your favorite songs. That's something that I never do actually, I listen to the entire album straight through, especially when it's a great prog-rock group like KANSAS. You really have to pay attention to each and every song so you don't miss anything, there is always so much going on.
Your search can now come to and end for the ultimate package, this is it. Unless of course they release a more comprehensive boxed set with a lot of rarities and live tracks. You never know...

5.0 out of 5 stars Kansas the Ultimate CD set, 18 July 2009
Mr. M. Sanders "TX41" (Powys, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ultimate Kansas (2CD) (Audio CD)
Most of you will think of Country Rock as the Eagles, but there were other bands around in those early years of the 1970's.

Kansas, you may not have heard of but no doubt you will have heard their song 'Carry on my wayward son,' played on the radio quite frequently. All their music is very well written, the arrangements and recording work first class.

The band uses a mix of acoustic and electric instruments in songs that range from folk tinged, country rock to aor style rock, very slickly done. if you compose pop music listen to this and you'll learn a lot.

Check out 'Dust in the Wind' it really is a great sounding song!

3.0 out of 5 stars Carry On Carrying On, 8 Mar. 2009
K. Jamison (Co. Down, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Ultimate Kansas (2CD) (Audio CD)
I was only ever aware of "Carry On Wayward Son" when I first heard of Kansas. A friend of mine was heavily influenced by many rock bands, including some progressive rock. His record collection was to die for. It's a good CD but it's possible to liken much of this to other groups of the time. I bought this on the strength of "Carry On Wayward Son" alone and while I'm not disappointed, it seems a little bland in places. I do recommend "Dust In The Wind " though, a beautifully crafted acoustic tune with harmonising voices.

There's something in here for everyone and it's a great price!

5.0 out of 5 stars Kansas Collection Covering 1974 to 1983., 25 Dec. 2009
J. Thompson "Willingale" (Essex UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ultimate Kansas (2CD) (Audio CD)
The Ultimate Kansas gives you 26 tracks on 2 CDs.
Most well known Carry On Wayward Son and Dust In The Wind, both are excellent songs which mix rock with good vocal harmonies.
Many of the songs are keyboard driven with strong lead vocals, most are well suited to an album like this as they are 5 minutes long and over.
I am a Kansas fan and until all their albums are remastered, this will do just fine.

4.0 out of 5 stars Phenomenal Musicianship Let Down By Poor Vocals, 16 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Ultimate Kansas (2CD) (Audio CD)
I bought this after hearing 'Dust In The Wind' on the radio.
I think that the standard of playing on this album is breathtaking.
However, the music is definitely prog rock but on the majority of vocals it is heavy metal.
Now I like prog rock but can't stand heavy metal, especially the shouting and out of tune vocals.
The music is a mixture of Caravan, Jethro Tull, early Genesis and Yes.
Musically, I am of the view that this band are up there with the best of them in the prog rock genre.
If they could have chosen a more suitable (prog rock type) vocalist, then I would have had no hestaition in awarding this album five stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Carry on my wayward son or daughter., 8 July 2014
John Crooks (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ultimate Kansas (2CD) (Audio CD)
I great way to get to know a band or artist your not sure about, is to buy a great wee packaged CD like this. For a few quid and get to know the best selection of possible tracks to get you started.

4.0 out of 5 stars good but not great, 3 Mar. 2010
N. Higham (north west U.K) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ultimate Kansas (2CD) (Audio CD)
bought this on the strength of the two big hit singles,lots of good stuff but a bit to much violin for me.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pick'n'mix of the best 70s prog rock., 21 Mar. 2005
Dhekelia (Bedfordshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ultimate Kansas (2CD) (Audio CD)
I'd never heard of Kansas until an advert came on the radio announcing a forthcoming UK tour. I decided to check some of their music out as the 70s was my era, particularly the prog. rock genre. The first thing that is obvious is that these guys can play their instruments, the music is well produced and many of the songs are well constructed, even if some of the lyrics veer towards the cheesy (i.e. we're destroying mother nature type of scenario). The one thing that struck me whilst listening to it was that I could hear bits of Yes, bits of Emerson, Lake & Palmer, as well as Uriah Heep and even some early Genesis. It seems that these guys were very heavily influenced by the aforementioned bands (who did indeed precede Kansas by a couple of years). I find the CD enjoyable to listen to, but have to say that it doesn't 'grab me' in the way that some of the other bands did. That's not to say the music isn't good, it is, otherwise I wouldn't have given it four stars. But they won't knock Pink Floyd off the golden throne yet - Messrs. Waters & Co. still own that seat to these ears.

4.0 out of 5 stars thanks/ regards peter58home Shirley,, 28 Oct. 2014
thanks/
regards peter58home
Shirley,Westmidlands/UK/

Ultimate Kansas (2CD)
Ultimate Kansas (2CD) by Kansas (Audio CD - 2002)