5.0 out of 5 stars Historical drama
I enjoyed all five series of up/down as I call it. Social History as it was. I think it should be shown in schools to teach history in a more human context and not just textbooks fact and figures. I feel I understand my Grandmother better knowing what it was like as she was growing up, from the suffregette movement to the war and rationing etc. Excellent series.
The...
Published on 21 Oct. 2009 by CricedwrCoch

3.0 out of 5 stars Upstairs Downstairs
Old-fashioned serial with an image quality that also dates but still pleasant to watch by old retired people like us.
Published on 26 Dec. 2012 by Asperule

5.0 out of 5 stars Historical drama, 21 Oct. 2009
The extras were a bit hit and miss, they hadn't read the scripts for the voice overs had they? But interesting to see them as they are now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Upstairs Downstairs - Fifth Series, 23 Sept. 2009
Nai Truoc (Somerset, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
How I miss this series; I remember it so well from my childhood. Every episode is a joy to watch.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this programme, 23 Jun. 2014
Great to be able to visit 165 Eaton Place again. It was direct purchase to my TV and have watched the whole series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality material, 1 April 2013
The series was seen in a number of countries and now some slightly older people are delighted to be able to see again such fine acting, language and historical anecdotes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sublime drama, 23 Jan. 2013
I rediscovered this wonderful series after the ill-advised attempts to breath new life into it last year

For get the latter. The original is one of television's all-time pinnacles and sits alongside I Claudius, The Sopranos and Brideshead Revisited.

In series 5 you have 16 1 hour plays picking up life in Britiain post World War 1. The ghost of war, the aimlessness of the bright young things, the sense of betrayal between the social classes, the seeping decline of the aristocracy and a gradual shift in social expectations are all thoughtfully explored through the eyes of a Tory politician's aristocratic family and their house servants. Mesmerising performances all round, crisp direction and stunning production raise this series to the very highest levels of TV drama.

The DVD set is excellent quality with interesting bonus features.

5.0 out of 5 stars Upstairs Downstairs - The complete Fifth Series (1975) DVD, 10 Dec. 2012
This is a truly great series. They don't make them like that anymore. I'll be very sorry when it's finished. However, it will be nice to watch it again at some future date. The acting on everyones part is superb. A finely drawn script and a great way to learn the history of the time. ( late 19th to early 20th century ).

5.0 out of 5 stars NICE TO WATCH AGAIN AND AGAIN, 6 May 2010
Mr. Bryan Davies (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I got this for my wife. She watches over and over again and may wear the DVD out before long.

5.0 out of 5 stars upstairs downstairs- complete fifth series, 19 Mar. 2009
M. Birch "s birch" (uk) - See all my reviews
Sadly series five is the final instalment from 165 Eaton Place... after the horrors of the First World War Series Four, We hit the roaring 20's, obviously you lose the Edwardian spirit of the previous years! But series five covers other historical events!! Fantastic entertainment!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 30 Sept. 2014
Nice item well packaged good price and delivered with thanks.

3.0 out of 5 stars Upstairs Downstairs, 26 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Upstairs Downstairs: Comp 5 Season [DVD] [1971] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC] (DVD)

Upstairs Downstairs: Comp 5 Season [DVD] [1971] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]