5.0 out of 5 stars It Rocks My World
Published on 12 Mar 2007 by Kalah

I was pleased to receive this set for Christmas from my son: I'd never watched the show and by the time I'd become aware of all the plaudits it was too far in to catch.
Published on 15 Jan 2009 by S. J. Williams

5.0 out of 5 stars It Rocks My World, 12 Mar 2007
This review is from: The West Wing - Complete Season 1 [DVD] (DVD)
The second best season in the series starts out as being just another day at the office, with the president riding his bicycle into a tree, Sam accidentally sleeping with a callgirl and political issues up to wazoo. The first season got a total of nine Emmy Awards, and they're well deserved. The script is magnificent, the cast exceptional, and the plot varies from ordinary to divine.

What makes this season so good? What makes this season one of the two I could (and do) watch over and over? Well, the cast members are still working their way into their respective characters, feeling their way on how to deal with their own acting and reacting, and the fact is, it just gets better and better from start to finish. Once you start, you can't stop. The plot is engaging enough to keep you interested from episode to episode, and then all of a sudden something happens which leaves you completely star struck. Toby's conversation with Mr. Willis and the other congressmen, the staggering (literally!) performance of Roger Rees as the Lord John Marbury, and the increasingly quick and amusing bouncing-back-and-forth comments by Sam, Toby, Josh and CJ sets the standard for all the other seasons to come.

It also sets the tone for what kind of president Bartlet's going to be. Intense, oratory and passionate, the president goes from quoting Roman emperors to saying "well, duh" in the same sentence. Toby later describes him as "the two Bartlets": one is the absent-minded professor with the "Aw, Dad" sense of humour; disarming, unthreatening, good for all time zones, and the other is the Nobel Laureate searching for salvation; lonely, frustrated, lethal, who's father never liked him because he was too smart. On the one hand a scholar, on the other hand an average Joe who can say "get your fat asses outta my White House" when he feels like it.

This thing is great, which is why it got a total of nine Emmy awards. If you haven't bought this already, do so. That's all I can say, really.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great start to what looks like a long adventure!, 4 Jun 2006
Mr. A. J. Woodford (Hertfordshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The West Wing - Complete Season 1 [DVD] (DVD)
I ordered the first series of the west wing on a whim, I can't remember exactly why but I'd never seen it on television before apart from trailers and just fancied giving it a go based on the strength of online reviews.

I wasn't disappointed in the slightest, it exceeded my expectations in so many ways. The overall strength of the acting, the camerawork, the storylines, the whit and humour and the way in which you develop such likes or dislikes for certain characters is remarkable. I have since purchased all series up to series 4 and I'm gradually making my way through the episodes.

There are 22 episodes in the first series, each of 42 minutes in length. Thats at least a week and a half worth of entertainment for the price of a day out based on watching two episodes per night.

One thing I do recommend is that you purchase series 2 as well once you know you are enjoying the first series as the cliffhanger is unbelievable between the two series. I watched about 5 in one night at the point of transition from first series to second series.

Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential viewing, 1 Jan 2006
This review is from: The West Wing - Complete Season 1 [DVD] (DVD)
I live on mainland europe and missed out on the TV screening of the West Wing..but I just got the DVD set of the first series for Xmas and am utterly hooked. I 'm not a big tv fan but this series is well worth watching. Fascinating storylines, , sparkling dialogue and inspired casting (who else but Martin Sheen would make you wish he was president ? ) all make this essential viewing for anyone who appreciates intelligent entertainment ..... It does have moments of sentimentality but these are balanced with the clever dialogue and convincing performances , so who cares??
Strongly recommended ...I'm waiting for series two to arrive and am putting 3,4,5 and 6 on my wish list

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, 25 Jan 2006
MrShev "mrshev" (Gloucestershire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The West Wing - Complete Season 1 [DVD] (DVD)
I didn't catch any of the West Wing went it was broadcast on Channel 4 and was bought the season 1 box set as a present. I found the pilot episode to be a bit fast and furious and quite confusing. I also found it difficult to remember who was who, who did what and what the hell they were talking about: all this because the programme very rarely patronises you and just lays the story out for you to take in as you will. It made me read up on American politics and the staff structure of the West Wing and how that related to the president etcetera etcetera. What other programmes on mainstream television make you do that?
The West Wing is excellent television made to the highest standards with very good talent, sharp scripts and long term plots that immerse you completely. I have just bought season 2 (because, at the end of 1, you kind of have to) and am greatly looking forward to it. This is good, smart television - and that doesn't come along very often - so I unreservedly recommend it to the un-initiated.

5.0 out of 5 stars Maybe the greatest tv series ever made?, 10 Aug 2002
This review is from: The West Wing - Complete Season 1 [DVD] (DVD)
The West Wing has changed the way TV series are made. It's intellegent, witty , never crude and the acting superb. This show has been a huge hit in the uk dispite being put on a grave yard slot because it is superior to any other show in the world right now.
The cast act so well together it is almost impossible to pick the best character. If i had to i'd say Bradley Whitfords brilliant expression of deputy chief of staff Josh Lyman steals the show for me but it's a tough choice. The sign of a great show!
These 22 episodes are fast moving but emotionally played out and the cliff hanger ending will leave you on the edge of your seats!
DVD features include cast interviews and a making of piece. Both are well worth watching.
The only complaint I have is there is no release date for season 2 DVD release in the UK yet!!!
Watch a part of television history and laugh, cry and enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply the best TV show, 4 Nov 2003
This review is from: The West Wing - Complete Season 1 [DVD] (DVD)
Having stumbled accross the show by accident on Channel 4 a couple of year ago, I have come to consider The West Wing as simply the best political drama on TV, and I am sorely disappointed that the series on terestrial TV in the UK is so far behind the show's current series in the US. Which I am making up for by watching this set of series 1 disk over again, they can easily be watched over and over again as they do not lose their viewing enjoyment with repition.

3.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining and pleasant, but not the work of genius I was expecting., 15 Jan 2009
S. J. Williams "stevejw2" (Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The West Wing - Complete Season 1 [DVD] (DVD)
Though I am enjoying the series, it really surprises me that it has been praised so highly. It is exceptionally old fashioned in its relentlessly positive presentation of the president and his team. They are, without exception, delightful, decent people, not in itself a fault, but it just reveals the approach of the writers to the subject matter. The stance adopted could almost be from a Capra movie. (Before anybody says, 'But what about prostitution, drugs and alcohol addiction, marital problems, homophobia?' I grant you that these topics would not find space in a 30's or 40's movie, but the treatment is so superficial, with everyone being decent, liberal and generous, that I don't feel that brings this show far into the 21st century.)
There's nothing wrong with this pleasant series - acting is great, the camera work good if too hung up on the steadicam roving fetish that ER etc brought in, writing witty and effective in character building, but remarkable? No! If anyone made a programme about the British political system as cosily self satisfied as this one, people would throw stones at their TVs. I thought the Wire and similar programmes had banished the folksy and self-hugging from US tv imports, but i was clearly wrong.
Now if you want a satirical look at US institutions and life, why not try the films of Preston Sturges. His take on politics in The Great McGinty, made in the 1940s, makes this show look incredibly dated.
DON'T GET CROSS - I like it, but great it certainly isn't.

5.0 out of 5 stars The West Wing-What a SUPERB programme!!, 16 Jan 2006
This review is from: The West Wing - Complete Season 1 [DVD] (DVD)
I missed watching The West Wing on tv but comments from friends and trailers seen prompted me to buy the first season.I was gripped from the opening minutes and virtually watched the whole season back to back over a few days!The mix of humour and drama flows seamlessly throughout and the storylines are entirely believable.I ordered the second season as soon as I finished the first and can't wait for it to arrive.I suspect my family and friends will not see me for the duration!
Recommended viewing for everyone!

5.0 out of 5 stars The all-time Daddy of TV, 5 Dec 2003
This review is from: The West Wing - Complete Season 1 [DVD] (DVD)
On the blurb of The Lord of the Rings, it states that there are two types of people in the world. Those that have read lord of the rings and those that are going to. The same should absolutely apply to watching The West Wing.
Sorkin has grown immeasurably from The American President and the famous sweeping production from John Wells allied to the fantastically crafted music of W.G Snuffy Walden make this season, as well as the secondm third and, thus far, fourth drama without equal.
The casting is excellent; the writing sublime. Nothing and nobody looks in any way out of place at any point and the famous cliffhangers Sorkin decides to put us are surely the most gut-wrenching, frustrating pieces of television anyone has ever had the audacity to put together.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stop reading the reviews and just buy the thing...!, 12 Sep 2003
This review is from: The West Wing - Complete Season 1 [DVD] (DVD)
If there is one show on TV where the opinion of my friends and family is not polarized, it is The West Wing.
I first watched it on the recommendation of a friend from the States. I was a bit bit dubious at first - after all, what interest do I have in polictics, let alone those of another country? So I watched the first episode. Luckily, I had taped it. I proceded to watch it three more times before the next episode was on, and that was me hooked!
The show manages to combine good plot lines, strong scripts and excellent acting. The two things that make it great though are inspired casting and the energy between the characters.
The casting is without doubt the best I have seen in any production, be it stage showm TV show or a movie on the big screen. The fact that the show manages to combine hollywood stars such as Martin Sheen and Rob Lowe with relative unknowns (at the time I guess) such as Janel Maloney and Allison Janey, and the fact that they fit together so well, shows just how good it was.
If you have seen show, you know how good the scripts are, and I am amazed you don't already own this DVD. If not, just buy it. You will, I guarantee, buy the second series soon after.

The West Wing - Complete Season 1 [DVD]
The West Wing - Complete Season 1 [DVD] by Don Scardino (DVD - 2002)
10.75