5.0 out of 5 stars Cross your heart
Words can't describe how much I love this album.
I've had it for around 10 months now, and since the day I bought it, it's been in steady rotation in my CD player.
Published on 27 Jun. 2002 by Betty Applewhite

3.0 out of 5 stars Clarity
Jimmy Eat World are awesome, with Bleed American being the first best of their albums I have heard, and Futures being amazing and coming in close second. I like these albums so much that i thought the others must be as good - WRONG. This album is ok, but it's not fantastic like the previously mentioned ones. I've read the other reviews of this album and they all...
Published on 7 Jan. 2006

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Cross your heart, 27 Jun. 2002
This review is from: Clarity (Audio CD)
Words can't describe how much I love this album.
I remember the day I bought it, because I ordered it from this here site and it got to my doorstep on September 11th 2001. So in more ways than one, this record means more to me than most will ever know.
Every song on this album is truly amazing.
Opener 'Table For Glasses' is one hell of a way to kick off the album, building to a tear-jerking crescendo.
'Lucky Denver Mint' is probably the only song on here you'll get into straight away; the album DOES take a few listens before its brilliance finally kicks in, but for those of you who don't like slow burners, stick with it. If you don't, you really will miss out.
From here on in, you'll be rocked, you'll be moved, you'll tap your toes and wipe away some tears, before last song 'Goodbye Sky Harbor' prepares you for the end of the record with 16 minutes of trippy beats and acoustic stylings.
This is a masterpiece, and I demand that everybody gets their hands on this.
I really couldn't live without this record.
Buy it, now.

5.0 out of 5 stars MELODIC, CHILLED, and definately a CLASSIC, 22 July 2002
This review is from: Clarity (Audio CD)
Its difficult to describe Clarity. Its simply an album that must be heard. Fans that own Bleed American won't be disapointed with this release, as long as they give it a few listens. Slower, down tempo, but some of the most beautiful and melodic songs ever written are on this album. Even the heavier electric guitar songs such as Lucky Denver Mint are chilled. My personal fave on here is For Me This Is Heaven. I doubt anyone would be unmoved by this song.
Musically the album is better than Bleed American. The songs are moving, and outstandingly written. Think My Sundown mixed with Hear You Me. Classic. Go Buy Now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Surely Emo cannot be topped by this brilliant album, 22 Oct. 2003
This review is from: Clarity (Audio CD)
Like most Jimmy Eat World fans, Bleed American was my first purchase, and it gave me a taster of the emo genre that I hadn't experienced before. It left me wanting more. So I searched out Clarity, and wasn't disappointed. It has both the chilled out melodies and energetic riffs that you'd learn to expect from Jimmy Eat World. Highlights of the album include Table For Glasses, 12.23.95, For Me This is Heaven which has a piano melody that you'll fall in love with, Clarity with it's great bass line, Goodbye Sky Harbour at over sixteen minutes, is so diverse and experimental that you'll be glad that it's so long. And finally the best track on the album for me is Blister, as you can listen to this so many times and it never fails to get your blood racing. All in all this album is so good and the band is unique. It is better than Bleed American and deserves to be in your CD rack today!

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning.Mindblowing.Melodic as hell!, 2 Mar. 2003
This review is from: Clarity (Audio CD)
I was a bit apprehensive before buying this. MY First jimmy eat world purchase was Bleed American-which still gets alot of playing time in my CD player-then buying static previals was a bit of a let down at first but its a grower.
This CD gets listened to every day. The harmonies on the vocals on pretty much every track are stunning, the guitar sounds are completely clean on slow tracks and have the necessary gnarl on the heavier tracks, absolute perfection.
These guys are geniuses, buy this CD and you will love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars At last... Clarity, 8 Jan. 2003
This review is from: Clarity (Audio CD)
A wake up call to modern music that you can still write emotional rock without being twee at the same time. From the bittersweet opener Table for Glasses, into the nostalgic Lucky Denver Mint, Jimmy Eat World are a refreshing antidote to pre-manufactured sacharine pop and nu-metal by numbers.
Third Track Your New Aesthetic mixes Fugazi-style guitars with a driving bass-line and an anthemic Rock chorus that sticks in the head like crazy-glue.
Elsewhere on A Sunday the band are equally affecting showcasing their more mellow side.
Towards the end title track Clarity mixes early Manics with American College Rock with great results, driving guitars tempered by solid melodies.
For those who like their rock passionate and thoughtful, give this album a listen.

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite album, 12 July 2004
This review is from: Clarity (Audio CD)
'Clarity' is not only my favourite JEW album, it is also probably my favourite album of all time. After being impressed by 'Bleed American', I decided to check out JEWs other albums. From the moment I heard 'Clarity', I knew it was something special. Every track on the album is written and performed so beautifully, from the delicate lyrics to the subtle strings in the background. I couldn't pick out a single track on the album as my favourite because they all work so well together, and make this album an unbelieveably good collection of songs. Although JEW would probably be categorised as 'emo', I think this album is so well written and accessible that it would appeal to anyone with an appreciation of all genres of music.
If you are considering buying 'Clarity' today, whether you're already a fan of JEW or not, all I can say is DO IT! You will wonder how you ever lived without this album!

5.0 out of 5 stars Emo Doesn't Get Any Better Than This., 29 Aug. 2002
This review is from: Clarity (Audio CD)
To think this gem almost never saw the light of day on these shores...how lucky we are. This is without a doubt Jimmy Eat Worlds finest hour. Blending the old sound of their previous album 'Static Prevails', with a deeper and more sensitive side, this album is perhaps nothing short of pure genius. From the touching sentiment of 'Tables For Glasses' right through to the epic finale of 'Goodbye Skyharbor', Clarity oozes the kind of quality that the bands self-titled follow up can only echo. Not only an essential purchase for fans of the genre, but an album worthy of a place in any music fan's collection. Simply breathtaking.

5.0 out of 5 stars lost classic, 21 Oct. 2006
This review is from: Clarity (Audio CD)
Like many burgeoning rocker kiddies of my generation, my first exposure to Jimmy Eat World was the massive rotation given to Bleed American and its follow-up singles, and the album of the same name. Unlike many of my peers, I thought it was utterly dire. So I ignored them for a couple of years - until I noticed there was a sixteen minute song on the end of Clarity.

Sixteen minutes?

And from that idle curiosity about what on earth a Jimmy Eat World side-long epic would sound like, I got acquainted with a record that has stayed with me for many years now. People more interested in the pop-punkier side of modern emo won't be drastically disappointed - Crush is probably the best single track the sub-sub-genre has produced, and there are a few others. At the other end, there are very gentle ballads - Ten sounds like American Football would if they got a proper studio and a proper producer, and opener Table for Glasses twinkles and twonkles its way to a chamber-tastic conclusion, with vocal harmonies, strings, organs and everything else.

And in between you have the semi-epic Just Watch The Fireworks, whose rock out finale is a knockout, the much-eulogised For Me This is Heaven (grown men cry)...and of course, Goodbye Sky Harbour. What does a 16 minute Jimmy Eat World tune sound like? A math-rockish intro, a ten minute post-rock groove of impressive lushness, and a jungly electronic finale that sounds like nothing so much as a lost track from Tortoise's TNT with the icy-cool jazz exterior peeled off. In two words - totally awesome.

The only problem with it is that nothing the band has done before or since remotely compares.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Clarity, 17 Sept. 2001
This review is from: Clarity (Audio CD)
'Clarity' is a wonderfully accomplished album, albeit not quite the classic that 'Jimmy Eat World's most recent endeavour, 'Bleed American'certainly is. In tone it is much softer and introspective, almost dreamlike, but not in the awful shoe-gazing way. It begins with a ballad, the increasingly beautiful, 'Tables for Glasses' and ends with the gargantuan 16 minute long track, 'Goodbye Sky Harbour'. Inbetween are a smattering of consistently hook-laden songs that are nothing short of catchy and played with a subdued genius. One of my favourites is 'Blister'. It's a powerful tune, floated on jangly guitars and with a killer chorus. Suffice it to say that the 16 minute 'Goodbye Sky Harbour' was not long enough and I immediately had to re-play the whole album again. This album is perfect for any occasion. Buy it. In a world where 'Blink 182' and 'Limp Bizkit' rule, 'Jimmy Eat World' are the saviours of music. Thank God they're not popular. They just make excellent music.

5.0 out of 5 stars Definately not difficult second album syndrome, 15 Jan. 2003
Ben (Portsmouth, Hants United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Clarity (Audio CD)
I first came in contact with JEW when a College friend recommended their third (eponymous) album. I borrowed it and loved it. However, it somewhat pales commerciality in comparison with the raw and genuine sounds of 'Clarity', JEWs second album. The initial song 'Table For Glasses' is somewhat of a nothingness but in actual fact lures you into the beats and chugging chord sequences of 'Your New Aesthetic' and 'Lucky Denver Mint'. Stand out tracks are 'Believe In What You Want', the amazing seven-minute long, string accompanied 'Just Watch The Fireworks'; and also 'Blister' - a really cool chorus and some great harmony on the guitar. Raw, enthused and solid. The best JEW have done.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Clarity
Clarity by Jimmy Eat World (Audio CD - 2002)