4.0 out of 5 stars Brian Kennedy does it again, 17 Dec. 2002
This review is from: Get On With Your Short Life (Audio CD)
What can I say, Brian you did it again. What a great album, you take my breath away. I just love this from the heart stuff. A great version of Neil Youngs "Only love can break your heart". Brian has a great formula for adding slow sultry romance with the upbeat tempo of todays music without spoiling the mood. This is a great album for all Brian Kennedy fans, just stick it in the car and leave it there, you will not get fed up of listening to it! Score 8/10. When you have got this album, well order " Won't you take me home" the RCA years compilation of previous releases. Go on do it, you can't lose.

4.0 out of 5 stars but listen to this first!, 16 Jun. 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Get On With Your Short Life (Audio CD)
This album was originally released in Ireland in October of last year and was another huge hit for this talented singer-songwrriter. While the production at times could be better (namely on "The reason we are here" which sounds great live)Brian Kennedy's voice is as uplifting and "crystal clear" as ever. In "Christopher Street" he has given us what I believe to be his best recording to date. It is an open and honest account of his time in New York while performing in Riverdance (we all make mistakes!) on Broadway and you can almost see the Greenwich village area as he sings - absolutely brilliant.
If you are already a fan you must own this album, a great return to form after the dissapointing "now that I know...."
Come on Brian, what about an acoustic album again, you know it makes sense!

5.0 out of 5 stars Possibly the most beautiful album I own, 14 Oct. 2005
This review is from: Get On With Your Short Life (Audio CD)
I first heard Brian on the radio in April 2004 but for some reason have only recently started to collect his albums. Mind you, now that I've started, I find that I cannot stop. Brian has a voice that can in equal measure lift my spirits to the heavens or reduce me to tears, such is its purity and emotion. 'The Ballad of Killaloe' gets to me every single time, as does 'Before the night is through'. 'Looking in the wrong place' is my favourite driving record at the moment and the title track never fails to make me chuckle, especially at the line 'Why do you have to waste time on your waistline when you could be having dinner with me?' Having played this album through once, I got onto the internet, I found Brian's web site, I saw the tour dates and I booked a flight to Belfast there and then. I cannot wait to see him live in concert. He truly does have a voice that could charm the angels.

5.0 out of 5 stars Get on with it!, 13 Jun. 2002
I first heard this single on the radio last week and I feel it says everything I want to say about the way we are persuaded to improve our looks but not what matters. It is a deep and thoughtful expression of the obsession with self image in modern society. I encourage everyone to listen to this song and then get on with their lives doing something that really matters. Life is short. When you die people will remember you for what you do not for what you look like. As the song says "It's better to be useful than just youthful."
So lets get on with it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Nearly as mellow as ever..., 21 Sept. 2002
David Watkins "docdave68" (Belfast) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Get On With Your Short Life (Audio CD)
Slightly mixed feelings about this album- as a long-time admirer of Brian's beautiful voice, and having heard the title track on the radio a number of times, I awaited the rest of the album with keen anticipation. Three tracks stand out- the aforementioned title track, which has both a great catchy melody and a message worth absorbing; Christopher Street, which has a lovely, lilting guitar accompaniment and gives the impression of some genuine soul-baring on BK's part; and The Ballad of Killaloe, which again sounds fairly autobiographical, and is as gentle a song as you could wish for. The rest of the album is pleasant enough on the ear, as it could hardly fail to be with the voice and slick production, but I can't help feeling that the material is a bit anodyne on the whole- the tracks slip effortlessly by, but don't linger long in the memory, with the exception of The Reason We are Here, which is reminiscent of a not very good Eurovision entry- nul points for that one. After listening to "Get on...", I popped "The Great War of Words" on, to remind myself of how good an album of largely acoustic ballads can be. BK has recorded a number of excellent upbeat songs over the years, and they sound great live, but for my money, he could have done with slightly better "pop" songs for this album to showcase the voice, which sounds as good as ever, and a few more genuinely acoustic songs, for which I can think of no better exponent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Honey For The Soul, 27 Jun. 2002
L. E. Lees (Belfast) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Get On With Your Short Life (Audio CD)
As ever Brian Kennedy gives a great vocal performance on this cd (though for a real vocal treat see him live). There is a perfect blend of toe tappin tracks like " Get On With Your Short Life" and " Everytime" with beautiful ballads like " So what if it rains" and "the ballad of Killaloe". The Ballad of Killaloe is very much in the traditional Irish style - creamy smooth vocals and simple guitar that makes comforting listening to anyone who has lost love and finds reminder of it in a particular place. This is followed by the equally moving if not more hopeful " So what if it rains". For the less love forlorn among you there is plenty for you to enjoy with tracks like "Christopher Street" and "The Wandering Kind". If you like a blend of folk and pop this albulm is for you

5.0 out of 5 stars A new BK convert, 18 Aug. 2005
This review is from: Get On With Your Short Life (Audio CD)
I listened to this driving in my partner's car the other day. It gripped me straight away, so out I went and bought my own copy - together with Songs 2.
This is great stuff - solid, interesting lyrics, great melodies and a very engaging, clear, and emotive voice.
Go listen for yourself, and enjoy!

4.0 out of 5 stars As mellow as ever..., 21 Sept. 2002
David Watkins "docdave68" (Belfast) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Get On With Your Short Life (Audio CD)
Slightly mixed feelings about this album- as a long-time admirer of Brian's beautiful voice, and having heard the title track on the radio a number of times, I awaited the rest of the album with keen anticipation. Three tracks stand out- the aforementioned title track, which has both a great catchy melody and a message worth absorbing; Christopher Street, which has a lovely, lilting guitar accompaniment and gives the impression of some genuine soul-baring on BK's part; and The Ballad of Killaloe, which again sounds fairly autobiographical, and is as gentle a song as you could wish for. The rest of the album is pleasant enough on the ear, as it could hardly fail to be with the voice and slick production, but I can't help feeling that the material is a bit anodyne on the whole- the tracks slip effortlessly by, but don't linger long in the memory, with the exception of The Reason We are Here, which is reminiscent of a not very good Eurovision entry- nul points for that one. After listening to "Get on...", I popped "The Great War of Words" on, to remind myself of how good an album of largely acoustic ballads can be. BK has recorded a number of excellent upbeat songs over the years, and they sound great live, but for my money, he could have done with slightly better pop songs for this album to showcase the voice, which sounds as good as ever

5.0 out of 5 stars great singer/songwriter, 1 Nov. 2007
Bj Lucas "saculnamron" (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Get On With Your Short Life (Audio CD)
I first heard of Brian when 'get on with you short life' first appeared on the radio and have loved him ever since. His voice is exceptional, but it's his songs and song writing that demand to be noticed. This actually is quite a personal album, and includes one song he wrote on the way to his performance of 'Riverdance' in New York. 'Get on with your short life' is a fantastic album from a wonderful artist.

Get On With Your Short Life
Get On With Your Short Life by Brian Kennedy (Audio CD - 2002)