5.0 out of 5 stars Nu Soul Explosion, 26 Sept. 2002
This review is from: A Little Deeper (Audio CD)
A totally surprising album....
Having read so many reviews that called it a 'garage' album, I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised to discover that this work has pure SOUL. That is, it's soul with an edge! Reminiscent of early Lauryn Hill with a UK flava. More from the heart rather than 'from the street'. A very personal and heartfelt CD packed with tune after tune that is guaranteed to get you hooked! How can someone so young, articulate so well?
This is a real treat, totally dynamic and well deserving of many more accolades.
Tell your friends, come the revolution...this woman has raw talent and isn't afraid to share it!!
This CD moved me and it will move you too.

4.0 out of 5 stars Something for everyone, 21 April 2003
This review is from: A Little Deeper (Audio CD)
I must admit, I am not a garage person - in fact I usually detest it, rock is more my thing - but I felt I had to buy this album after hearing the 3 singles, and seeing Ms Dynamite interviewed.
I was not disappointed. The tracks are fantastic, and Ms Dynamite shows remarkable talent for a debut album. Best of all, the lyrics are deep and meaningful - again, amazingly mature to be written by a 21-year-old. You do not have to be a typical garage fan to enjoy this album, because it crosses all bases. Even if you're not a fan of the music, the lyrics give an interesting insight. Buy it!

4.0 out of 5 stars A really powerful album, 11 Oct. 2002
This review is from: A Little Deeper (Audio CD)
I have to say I am not the biggest hip-hop expert, so my review might be a little naive....but here's my impressions anyway.
I bought this cd because "It takes more" was the soundtrack of an otherwise horrible working assignment abroad, and the song just refused to get out of my head. I also read a couple of interviews with Ms Dynamite (-ee), and I thought she was incredibly articulate and original.
While the quality of the tunes is very mixed, there are some really powerful songs and in general the cd confirms my first impressions. Songs like Dy-na-mi-tee, Put him out, Sick'n'Tired, Brother (and of course It takes more) keep playing over and over and over in your head; the lyrics are highly political and full of real life in it....which takes lots of courage to do on your first album.
The "official" Amazon review is really quite denigratory...don't let it put you off. Lauryn Hill it ain't (yet!), but this is a great album that will fill you with energy and the real "girl-power".
...Maybe a 21-year-old girl with lots of things to say and a really loud voice to shout them is just too much to take for some people....

4.0 out of 5 stars You can feel this lady, 21 Oct. 2002
Nik Allday (Oxfordshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Uuh – That's good.
With my diet of Pere Ubu, Brian Eno, Bob Dylan, David Byrne, JJ Cale, Pink Floyd, I am no expert on Garage, Drum & Bass or Soul but this album must justify all the hype and awards. It is accessible to an outsider and it works. I have to say I can detect influence from across the board but that has to be a good thing. There are several dimensions to this music that I love. The rhythm, off beat, syncopation and quirkiness is brilliant. Then there's the lyrics. This girl is "in yer face" with genuine confrontational profundity. I don't go a bundle on Rap music generally and the influence here is strong, but for me, at last, put to good use. In short I'd say this is an album for anyone. You don't have to be into Garage or R&B to love this. This will be a classic so get it now and enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Doin the UK Proud, 6 Sept. 2002
This review is from: A Little Deeper (Audio CD)
I cant recommend this album enough...although people are used to Ms Dynamite MC'ing, and some have complained of this album because of a lack of that, she has a unique voice and a superb talent in singing.
This is one of those albums where you just have to listen the whole way through every time.
Not every song is a classic, but there are no bad tracks, the whole album is one enjoyable whole.
Stand out tracks however, include Dy-na-mi-tee, Brother, Afraid To Fly, Krazy Krush and the cover of Too Experianced.
This girl represents the best talent in the UK, and throughly deserves her success.
If you are looking at this, dont just think about buying the album, DO IT. I GURANTEE you will not be dissapointed...if you like music you will love this album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Utter Class for ALL tastes and ages., 8 Oct. 2002
Ophiicus (Norwich) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: A Little Deeper (Audio CD)
I am a 30something white middle class intellectual. Garage and soul are anathemas for me. It has become a prejudice, because these almost exclusively black genres have never had anything to offer me. Things change and this release has changed me. She positively blasts her message out in ten feet high capital letters of burning flame - make sure you have nothing perched on the edge of a shelf when you play this (not a joke). I do not know how she has produced that bass sound - it is genuinely scary and virtually siesmic. But it emphasises what she has to say. And what she has to say all needs saying. Her songs have a parable quality to them in their lyrical content, mainly with a positive message to be your own person for yourself and not become a stereotype, or be pressured into nasty situations. It is a good message, and where it is clearly aimed at a young and probably black audience, there are many non-young non-black people who need to be listening. For those of us who grew up in the eighties the treat is Afraid to Fly, mixed and produced in collaboration with the Art of Noise (who? I hear anyone under 25 asking) and for me this is the highlight of the album, in fact, the best thing I have heard this millennium. Superlatives are overused by music reviewers and the like hence they lose some of their meaning, but Ms D is the most awesome new talent to hit music in the UK since... pass, er, Kate Bush perhaps? I think there is every chance that Ms D will become the UK's biggest star yet. Here's hoping...

5.0 out of 5 stars buy British!!!, 12 Jun. 2002
This review is from: A Little Deeper (Audio CD)
When i put this into my player, i already had great expectations from her having loved her single and tracks played on the radio. I wasnt disapointed. The amazin team up with Bob Marleys son is breath talking. This particular track is produced my the talented Salam Remi (famous for his work with Lauryn Hill and many more) and this duet of vocalist and producer proves to be the best formula. The two of them together come up with some UK ground breaking material such as the brill "Dy-na-mi-te" and "all i ever" soul at its best!! There are, on the album some big club tracks lik "it takes more" and "put him out." Along with the hip-hop edged "fly" and the old-skool chorusd "krazy krush."
All in all this album is extremely promising and worth the money. I hope big things will come from this young talent, possibly on the next album she'll be rhyming over some mad Salam hip-hop/R&B beat!!! Buy this. Quality

5.0 out of 5 stars A Deep Message, 5 Dec. 2002
This review is from: A Little Deeper (Audio CD)
I first heard of Ms Dynamite in a newspaper story and was intrigued so bought the album A Little Deeper. Although musically it may not be the greatest achievement in any particular musical genre the thing that shines through is Ms Dynamite's strength and determination not only to succeed but that she wants to lift as many people as she can while she does it. Small snatches of some of the tracks can be found on her 2001 hit Booo! but in expanding them she has added to there meaning and feeling rather than diluting it. From the depths of despair to the elation that only true love can bring is covered amazingly in one avery personal album.
Personal favorite tracks are It Takes More and Seed Will Grow for their solid RnB sound mixed with inspirational lyrics. The short solo voice "prayer" for black youth Watch Over Them somehow fits in without sounding odd, and shows a superb voice for someone who thought they could not sing!
Despite the warning on the cover about explicit lyrics this album could be played in school assemblies to make kids think about what the are doing and where it will take them. Any swearing is totally in keeping with the lyrics and strength of the message and not gratuitous in anyway, the "clean" radio versions sound very tame and unreal by comparision.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Little Deeper, 27 July 2009
This review is from: A Little Deeper (Audio CD)
This is Ms. Dynamite's first album, and this album is GOOD! It experesses the soul side of Ms. Dynamite. She isn't the best UK Vocal Artist but she definatly can rap. This album has a soul side to it and a R&B side to it and a touch of Reggae. "Anyway U Want it" Is a nice R&B track. "It Takes More" which was the first single of the album expresses how independant Ms. Dynamite is. This album is Really good! Its a Must have

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good, But Not Dynamite, 12 Jun. 2002
This review is from: A Little Deeper (Audio CD)
Although I've only heard the album once all the way through, I still found it quite an impressive debut.
The stand-out tracks - "It Takes More", "Put Him Out" and the brilliant "Sick 'n' Tired" - together with Ms Dynamite's original lyrics save the album from disappearing into the norm of R&B albums.
My only complaints are that tracks like "Anyway U Want It" are too American for a North-London-raised truth-teller to sing about, and the amazingly ridiculous "txt msg" language in which the lyrics and song titles are written.
"Sick 'n' Tired" is almost definitely the next single, and so it should be.

A Little Deeper
A Little Deeper by Ms. Dynamite (Audio CD - 2002)