Format: Audio CD|Change

In 1974 I was a working night-club DJ. One day I unpacked a package of new promo singles sent from WEA (Warner Elektra Atlantic) records. One of the new Elektra singles was by a guy called Harry Chapin, and the single was called "WOLD". Well, when you daily receive singles with songs called "Shake Your Booty" or "Do Your Thang" and "Take your body to the disco tonite", a title like "WOLD" just has to stand out from the crowd, right?

Intruiged, I played the record and you know what? I've been playing it pretty often ever since! If you've never heard of it, or the "Short Stories" album it came from, then listen up! You may have just made a discovery.

All the tracks on that album are exactly what the title suggests, each one tells a short story. WOLD is the tale of a man who is the morning DJ on the radio station of the title. The tale concerns how he became a FM Jock and how - we infer - he screwed up his marriage and family life in pursuit of sticking with that goal, and now regrets it. Like many Chapin songs, this track contains some great lyrics. Example: "Sometimes I get this crazy dream that I just take off in my car / But you can travel on ten thousand miles and still stay where you are".

Harry's other albums all had nuggets on them too - and whoever put this compilation together knew their way around the Chapin archive, all the very best cuts are here. Another favourite of mine is "Cat's In the Cradle" - another song that tells how life and work can rob people of their relationships, sometimes without their realising it, until it's too late.

Harry died in a car crash in 1981, he was 38 years old. It's a sadness to me that he and his work are not better known and remembered in the UK, but the two singles I have mentioned here are certainly not forgotten and still sometimes get airplay here. Wouldn't it be nice if the rest of his work were rediscovered by a younger age group? - honouring him as a predecessor to modern day singer songwriters such as James Blunt and Daniel Powter whose work - whether they know it or not - sometimes contains some pretty strong echoes of the late, great, Harry Chapin.
on 21 July 2008
I dont agree with other review on this and in my humble opinion you are better off buying AN INTRODUCTION TO HARRY CHAPIN on Rhino as it has
all the above plus Coreys Coming and Tangled Up Puppet which are two of his best songs which no collector should be without.

Have many happy memories of his great gigs in London over the years and
especially the RAINBOW concert where he ran off stage and came out the front at the end and shook everyones hand, signed stuff and chatted to us as we were leaving !!

Great guy ... sadly missed
on 15 May 2013
A great compilation of this artist. Having only heard one of the tracks before the purchase I can safely say that they are all excellent
on 6 September 2014
I've been trying to remake a album that was called expressions that only came out on LP in the 80's it had some outstanding songs from the 70's like Music Baker Street & W.O.L.D by Harry Chapin by buying this album I now have the best of expressions, I still have the LP but it's showing it's age plus I've played it to death
on 31 December 2014
No case, sleeve notes or anything. Good price but would rather pay more for a complete item. Disappointing
on 18 December 2014
An excellent CD full of nostalgia of a performer who didn't live long enough to reach his full potential.
on 6 January 2015
Good present....music that wife and I BOTH like...rare !
on 5 January 2015
Great songs from a sadly missed artist.
on 29 January 2016
Great greatest hits album.
on 11 January 2015