Format: Audio CD|Change
Price:£16.89+ £1.26 shipping

on 18 December 2002
As a trainee teacher I stumbled across this by accident and bought it more out of curiosity more than anything else - and what a fabulous purchase it was! My family are hooked (and the youngest is 15!) We must have listened to this CD hundreds of times by now! - the songs are so catchy and never get boring.The interactive features are amazing for the price of this album, I have never seen anything like it. I introduced this to a Reception class (4 and 5 year olds) who soon became addicted to it, and really learned a lot from using it. Not only are they improving their computer skills, listening skills, musical awareness etc etc but they are also having so much fun! I have also used this CD with children with special needs who love it as it holds their attention and many of the interactive parts need very little mouse control. I would recommend this to absolutely anyone, whether you have children or not, and promise you will find yourself singing "in the middle in the middle in the middle" for weeks on end!
on 18 July 2002
I was anxious, I'll admit. I've been a fan of They Might Be Giants since Birdhouse In Your Soul was a hit in 1990, but when I found out they were releasing a children's album I was a tad concerned. Would this album be immature, just a little too silly? Anyway, being a fan, I bought the album from Amazon for completist's sake.
Granted, some of the songs are a little daft - Violin, for example - but a lot of the songs are cheerful, catchy and musically quite good: Four Of Two and The House At The Top Of The Tree are two of my favourites. The CD is enhanced, which means you can listen to the songs and interact with and watch various pieces of animation on your PC. This feature, presumably, is for the benefit of youngsters, but - hey! - I'm 27 and have just spent the best part of 30 minutes bursting balloons, spilling grocery and feeding potato chips to a cartoon mouse.
If you're a fan of They Might Be Giants, or if you have kids and want to introduce them to music other than, I don't know, Bob The Builder or S Club Juniors, or if you simply want to buy an album that's unusual and different without it being Kid A by Radiohead, then I strongly recommend No! by They Might Be Giants. You will love it.
After the lengthy wait the No! Landed. 33 Minutes of music for the minature, and the not so minature.
It is filled with a sense of humor - Not many albums come with warning that the last three songs are designed to induce sleep so don't operate heavy machinery or plush toys whilst listening to them.
What makes it the ideal kids album is the PC and MAC compatible interactive section on the CD; shove it in your iMac or PC and you get flash animation for the songs; so the ghost of Thomas Edison tells you about the light bulb whilst the johns sing about his tomb.
For the grown ups this album takes they might be giants back to the begining, simpler music, the lyrics are crazy but sensible enough for a 3 year old to understand - well maybe not "idependantly owned and operated mausoleum" on The Edison Museum.
Its an american album so kids will have to learn not to cross the block in the middle in the middle in the middle. But some of the songs are absolute heaven; stick it in your PC and your toddler can see the words flash up on the screen, along with animated sequences and interactive games that on a song like "Where do they make baloons" lets them see where differant countries in the world are located. Whilst in a song like bed bed bed toddlers everywhere get to thing about the day they had playing whilst getting into their pajamas! (in a stompy/stilted sounding chant complete with the sound of toothbrushes and cows mooing !
The next concert could be very interesting ... all the 30 somethings with little John and John ...
PS
Everyone at work loves Robot Parade ;)
on 17 September 2002
Having always been a fan of TMBG I was eagerly awaiting **new stuff** although was slightly dubious with announcement of a "family fun" CD - how wrong could one person be! "No" is fantastic! So catchy, tuneful and altogether a work of genius. Find yourself dreaming of Fibber Island, where the people wear bicycles for hats. Take heed of the morals and become a better person. Spend hours on the interactive CDROM, ah joy! Buy buy buy!
on 7 November 2003
I found this after my son (4) heard 'Clap Your Hands' on a Gap ad. At first I thought it a bit American and silly but, after a few listens it really grew on me. Favourite tracks are 'Where do they make balloons', 'Lazy head and Sleepy bones'. Most catchy tune ' The middle of the block'
Recommended listening for kids of all ages
on 10 May 2004
I AM 14 AND LOVE THIS. MY FRIENDS LOVE IT. IT'S JUST SILLY AND CAREFREE. BUY IT, IT'LL BE ONE OF THE BEST THINGS YOU BUY!!! GREAT ALSO FOR KIDS!!! IN 3 WORDS: FUNNY, ORIGINAL AND WELL, WIERD!
on 25 September 2002
we are a family of 5; one 33, 0ne 34, one 6, one 3 and one 1. This is our favourite cd. I mean it's not my favourite or my wife's either but as a family we like this better than anything else. We recently drove 1000 miles in a couple of days and listened to it at least 20 times ( d'ya know I never really tired of it) If you have a handful of kids -buy it. My oldest loves the PC graphiky stuff as well.
on 1 October 2010
I was attracted to this as an "enhanced" CD with interactive content, supposedly mac compatible. However BE WARNED! this CD was produced in 2002 and only runs in the mac "Classic Environment" ie OS9. Classic Environment is not supported by Snow Leopard, which most mac users now use, so we and they are stuck.
on 20 July 2005
This has to be one of the best albums I have ever heard, except for maybe Pet Sounds by The Beach Boys. I have been after this album for quite some time after Jonathan Ross plugged the album on Radio 2 (when sitting in for Terry Wogan on the Breakfast Show).
This album has re-invigorated my love of music on the basis that it can be fun and good at the same time.
Album highlights are House at the top of the tree and Fibber Island. However, this album has so many gems in there it is definately worth a buy.
This is ideal for both adults and kids as They Might Be Giants wrote it considering all age ranges.
I even took the CD into work the other day and my colleagues joined me in a David Brent style singalong in a meeting.
It really is that good. Buy it and enjoy.
on 11 December 2012
This cd is a must for any primary school teacher. I bought it years ago when I heard 'House at the top of the tree' on the radio ( by Jonathon Ross if memory serves)on the way to school and thought 'WOW! Must get that for may class!' I have played it to every class I've had since and they all just love it. I was really pleased to find the interactive graphics and words displayed- I always get a volunteer to come to the front of the class and click on the screen. I'm buying another copy for my nephew who's also a primary school teacher.