5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfully Whimsical
I saw this movie years ago and have never been able to forget it. I've searched and searched and am so glad to have finally found access to this great film. With Barbara Cartland's fanciful plots and two gorgeous leading characters, how can it go wrong? Many find fault with it, but if you enjoy Victorian era movies, you'll love to add this one to your collection.
Published on 23 Feb 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars Enchanting
I first saw this film several years ago and fell inlove with it. It was such an enchanting story with a happy ending. I recently bought the DVD and watched it again for old times sake and was surprised to find I loved it just as much now.

Published on 27 April 2007 by Mrs. S. Blackman

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfully Whimsical, 23 Feb 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars Enchanting, 27 April 2007
This review is from: A Hazard of Hearts [DVD] [1987] (DVD)

Marcus Gilbert is incredibly sexy with astonishing eyes in the lead role and I wish he had more roles as he was so good. Although I've never been a fan of Helena Bonham Carter, she was really good in this role as innocent, but, feisty heroine and I've always loved Neil Dickson in another.

This film won't win any awards or challenge yourself, but, for a simple, enchanting love story then you won't go wrong with this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best romance film in the world!, 25 Feb 2006
This review is from: A Hazard of Hearts [DVD] [1987] (DVD)
This film is without doubt, the best romance film in the world!.
It is my mums faveorite film, i first watched it with her on tv years ago when it was first made.
Im 21yrs old & i love this film just as much as my mum does!.
It has everything you could want, a brilliant story, a gorgeous leading man!, a damsel in distress!, & it is brilliantly acted out. Everything makes this film totally believeable!. marcus gilbert is so gorgeous in this film, hes every womans dream man!
We have watched this film over & over again, 100's of times, but i never get fed up of it. Forget pride & prejudice, this is much better than that!.
If you love a traditional romance story, then you must buy this.
Amazon, you are brilliant!, we never thought we would ever be able to buy this on dvd, as we had tried everywhere else!.

4.0 out of 5 stars A rollicking good yarn, 3 Dec 2000
Clarecool (Cornwall, England) - See all my reviews
This is a classic Cartland tale of caddishness, glamour and love amongst the upper classes. The film romps along with the Best of British hamming it up to the hilt, including the fabulously over the top Edward Fox and Diana Rigg. The film also has excellent cameo appearances from Stewart Granger, Christopher Plummer and Fiona Fullerton. The tale is of an ill-fortuned but beautiful girl Serena (Bonham-Carter in an early role) who gets thrown into the life of the handsomely enigmatic Lord Vulcan. His family lead a bizarre life of secrets and smuggling. Can Vulcan trust her with his secrets and can she win over his cold heart? Well, this is Cartland!

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely one to watch, 31 July 2007
christine (Horley, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Hazard of Hearts [DVD] [1987] (DVD)
Definitely one to watch, on your own or with friends. Having watched this movie years ago and having been unable to buy it amazon came to the rescue.

Although the production feels dated the acting is superb especially routum and his cowardly ways. I have a soft spot for Marcus Gilbert/Lord Vulcan and enjoyed the unfolding of his fondness for Serena Staverly. Stewart Grainger played his part well and I loved the scene between him and Serena....... what more can i say, watch and enjoy.

If you enjoy costume dramas, Dastardly goings on, heroine's, hero's and gorgeous leading men this is for you. Beg or borrow a copy or wait for amazon to show availability. I will never give my copy up, no way!!!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Barbara Cartland Classic, 5 Feb 2009
My aunt is an avid reader of Barbara Cartland and while investigating what sort of birthday present she would like she struck me with " A Hazard of Hearts' story. So once I found the VHS and got a DVD with it, I sat down and watched a very, very, old fashioned, unrealistic romance where the hero was dashing, rich, etc., and the heroine, a poor lady with a backbone who manages to capture his attention. I must say, my favourite character was the nasty mother-in-law (played by Diana Rigg) who made thigns interesting. Enough said, it ends happily for both...

4.0 out of 5 stars Only for the uncynical among us....., 19 Oct 2003
N. Oliver ""pinky"" (barnstaple, devon) - See all my reviews
If you like your romance with fainting damsons in distress, tall dark handsome and tortured men in need to some good woman to rescue them........well, this is right up your street. If not, I wouldn't bother watching. Barbara Cartland's novel gets the Hollywood treatment and it works fairly well. Helena Bonham Carter is a strange choice for a damsel, but she does her part adequately. A lovely turn from Diana Rigg - in her element as the gambling lady of the house, not afraid to run men through with her sword if needs be to get what she wants! All in all a pleasant way to spend a cold Sunday afternoon - especially if you have a glass or two of wine as well!

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely, 10 Oct 2003
By A Customer
I saw this over 10 years ago and loved it. I waited for it to come on again but to no avail - then I discovered Amazon! thank you! It is a lovely, well acted victorian love story starring a young but obviously up and coming actress - Helena Bonham Carter and a gorgeous Marcus Gilbert - it is gentle, moving love story that you know will end happily - recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a Beautiful Love Story, 30 Sep 2003
I remember the first time I saw this film it was in 1988 with my Mum. It came on TV and we enjoyed it so much. I must have watched this film over 100 times and still counting.
The characters are so believeable the stunning (Helena Bonham-Carter) Serena Stavely and drop dead gorgeous (Marcus Gilbert) Lord Vulcan played their parts so beautifully and convincing. Even the locations that was chosen created an appropriated feel.
Also the other characters played their parts well. The quality of acting was great and not for one second did I belive they were just a bunch of actors in costume, that was the beauty of it.
I only thing that dissapointed me about this film was not having a sequel, being played with the same main leading actors of course. I would have loved to have seen more as Iam a great fan of Victorian drama.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 31 Aug 2014
PIP (SCARBOROUGH, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Hazard of Hearts [DVD] [1987] (DVD)
Delighted to find this replacement for my VHS copy. Many thanks indeed, Excellent.

A Hazard of Hearts [DVD] [1987]
A Hazard of Hearts [DVD] [1987] by John Hough (DVD - 2002)
Used & New from: £19.98