5.0 out of 5 stars possibly one of my favourite albums ever
Published on 2 Feb 2005

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad at all
This is an album that has completely caught me by surprise. If truth be known if it were down to me, it is not the sort of thing I would typically go for (I normally dismiss this sort of thing as soft rock and hence a bit naff!) but having been given it by a friend, I now need to re-assess my assesments of certain genres.
A few of the tracks on this album seem to...
Published on 17 Oct 2004 by Paul Johnson

5.0 out of 5 stars possibly one of my favourite albums ever, 2 Feb 2005
By A Customer
No wonder this album has been so successful, it really is amazing. When Maroon5 released "Harder to breathe", I just thought they were like any other band, nothing special and nothing different. How bloody wrong was i? Most albums I have to listen to a few times before I get into it, but on the first listen of "Songs About Jane", I was hooked. The album is a collection of brilliant tunes written mostly by Adam Levine (vocals, guitar) and Jesse Carmichael(keyboards, vocals)about Levine's ex Jane. I couldn't possibly put their music into one particular genre, they're a mix of soul, rock and RnB. In my opinion, the best songs are the keyboard-dominated "Sunday Morning", which is probably one of the only songs on the album which reflects the good side of Levine's relationship; "The Sun" and "Secret" which is one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard. Ryan Dusick's drum beats are brilliant, and Levine's vocals are original and always full of emotion. I would recommend this album to anyone, and if you like "Songs About Jane", then you should check out Maroon5's album "1.22.03 Acoustic", which includes versions of "This Love", "Sunday Morning", "She Will Be Loved", "Harder to Breathe" and "The Sun". It also features a Beatles cover, "If I Fell" by Levine and a cover of AC/DC's "Highway to Hell", where drummer Ryan Dusick is on vocals.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 27 May 2004
This review is from: Songs About Jane (Audio CD)
I first heard the sound of maroon 5 a few months ago when the first previews of Harder to Breath came out. Since then I have thought about buying the album once of twice but i decided to buy it last month.
The album is brilliant. All of the tracks have a unique style of the lead singer who puts a lot of effort into each of the songs. The standout tracks are of course This Love, She will be loved, Sunday morning and Secret. All of songs are sung from the heart about his ex girlfreind called Jane.
Some reviewers have said that the last few tracks are not as good and I agree in some respects but Not coming home is a great song. If you like Stevie Wonder mixed with RnB and rock and jazz then you will love this album
Not one to miss out on

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it, but don't expect 12 harder to breathes...., 29 Dec 2003
This review is from: Songs About Jane (Audio CD)
Harder To Breathe attracted to me this album, that along with the reviews...
'They sound like Matchbox 20'
'John Mayer joined them for a track'
'Sound like Santana at times'
It seemed very promising - but the album suprised me.
It was full of backstreet boys like tracks! Don't let that put you off, they are great tracks. This album swings from inspired grooviness (is that a word?) to sweet ballads.
At the end of the first listen I was confused - one minute they sounded EXACTLY like Red Hot Chilli Peppers, then Matchbox, then Santana, then Backstreet. Puzzled? Yes. Thrilled? Yes.
There are no weak tracks on this album, it's fantastic.

4.0 out of 5 stars A very good debut album, 24 Jan 2004
James (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Songs About Jane (Audio CD)
Songs about Jane is the debut album from the band Maroon 5. I'm a great fan of these guys, their music begins with a rocky feel, however as the album progresses it becomes more like the mainstream boy-band music, but for some reason they seem able to maintain a funky streak about them.
If you've heard their music before, it's likely that you've heard the first track on the album: 'harder to breathe' I think that this is one of the best tracks on the album, closely followed by 'she will be loved'.
This album is growing on me the more I listen to it, overall well worth buying!

5.0 out of 5 stars Review of 'Songs About Jane', 2 Oct 2004
This review is from: Songs About Jane (Audio CD)
The first album from American group Maroon 5 has made a massive hit with the general public. After its release over two months ago now, it's still hanging in the Top 10 album chart.
But the question is; why is it so popular? Well this review is certainly overloaded with positive reasons.
The album:
Consists of 12 tracks, of which 9 are brilliantly catchy, and the other 3 are reasonably dull. The album has all their currently released tracks pressed onto it, and even holds some future tracks aswell.
Is it good?
It's brilliant. Let's get down to the main point; why it's brilliant. Never before has one debut album held so wide a selection of genres in music and portrayed them with the beauty that controls them. From the rocking beats of 'Harder To Breathe' to the bluesy and upbeat 'Sunday Morning' to the romantic attempted tear-jerker that is 'She Will Be Loved,' each has it's own unique and individual thoughts that worked their way into the lyrics. You can only say that one album consisting of many genres is brilliant. Especially when each of them is brilliant.
Is it bad?
Well, if we consider that they wrote every single and placed it on the album in chronological order, then we can see that they got bored on the last three singles. The first 9 are the ones that keep you interested, and the ones that are so packed with interestingly sufficient lyrics, upbeat tunes, and finger-clicking entertainment. But then at the last three there is some yawning involved. These last singles are the ones that feel boring, over-packed with dull and nervous music, and fail to keep the reputation of "brilliance" that the first 9 singles give the album.
General information:
The debut album from American band Maroon 5, featuring three of their currently released hit singles. It has twelve singles and runs for 46 minutes and 56 seconds (46:56.)
Reviewed:
A compilation of high quality, carefully created singles which keep you interested not just for the first weeks, but for the life of the album. Never before has any one album brought together a majority of the genres of music, and kept them up to the standards that make a great, popular album like this one.

4.0 out of 5 stars High Five, 25 May 2004
A. D. Goodwin (Bristol, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Songs About Jane (Audio CD)
I first heard Maroon 5 supporting Matchbox Twenty at Wembley in 2003 and made a mental note to buy their album... then promptly forgot to. Fast forward a few months, and I'm channel flicking through a mate's array of cable channels, and stopped, hooked by the melody and jaunty swagger of the track I now know is "This Love" (one of my tracks of the summer, no doubt about it - one for cranking up on the beach whilst kicking back with some beers and a bunch of friends).
Another reviewer has already noted that the album trails off a little towards the end - I'm inclined to agree, except I'm a little worried that this is just because I like the first few tracks so much that I haven't yet given the other tracks (which are still very accomplished and varied) enough of a chance to measure up to the rest of this superb album.
Every one of my friends has said, on hearing this album, that it sounds like somebody but they can't put their finger on who. I've come to the conclusion that it's because Maroon 5 sound like so many other people, and therefore sound like nobody else (glad you're coming with me on that one!). I mean that nobody else would or could carry off so brilliantly a sound which seems to leap effortlessly between Stevie Wonder, Semisonic, Matchbox Twenty, Will Young, Mike and the Mechanics, Counting Crows, and everyone else I mentally namechecked whilst listening to the album on my way to work this morning. Yet the sound is unmistakably individual, and it is this uniqueness combined with such an eclectic range of reference points which will appeal to many listeners and make this band, and this album, one of the phenomona of 2004 - if there's any justice that is! So, be one of the first, and laugh at the come-lately sheep in a few months' time...
Stand-out tracks for me were "This Love", and "She Will Be Loved", but, as I've said, there's something here for most people and I suspect that there will be a wide range of personal favourites. So... I'm off now to give it some more listening, and see if I'll regret not going for the whole five stars in this review...

5.0 out of 5 stars Never heard anything like it, 10 Aug 2004
This review is from: Songs About Jane (Audio CD)
Maroon5 have sure proved to the Uk they are such a superior, distinctive band. Songs aout Jane is one of this years highest ranking newcomer, and by george they deserve it. The album is so so catchy, the lyrics go through different types of emotions and the album can be repeated over and over again without you getitng bored. It is a mixture of slow, funky, warmly-felt songs that are excellently sung by Adam Levines very very distinctive voice. So when your in town shopping, looking for something that has power, not by the strength of its guitar strums, but by the lyrics they sing to you, Pick up this baby, buy it and stick it on all through the night. Fantastic piece of work by Maroon 5.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous Laid Back Rock, 21 Aug 2004
This review is from: Songs About Jane (Audio CD)
Most, by now, would have heard the first three singles of this fabulous album. Apparently, the whole album is about vocalist Adam Levine's relationship with his girlfriend and muse, Jane, and to appreciate the songs you do have to make the effort to listen to all the words. The Album kicks off with their debut 'Harder to Breathe', a fabulous rock song that grabs you from the first time you hear it and makes you sit up and listen. The second track is the equally wonderful 'This Love', their second single. The third track 'Shiver' is quite unusual, but still commercial. Next up is third single 'She Will be Loved', a very sweet, gentle ballad.
'Tangled', the fifth song on the album, is also quite mellow, but like all songs on the album has some wonderful lyrics. 'The Sun', is quite an unusual song too, very laid back rock. 'Must Get Out' is one song that needed to grow on me, the lyrics are great, but the tune does not grab you instantly. However, it is followed by the jazzy, laid back 'Sunday Morning', which is the perfect tune for that time of day! The piano on the next track, 'Secret', allows it to follow with a similar jazzy, easy listening feel, but they lift the tempo for the next number 'Through With You', and its petulant sounding hook (this is a good thing - honest!). Track eleven is 'Not Coming Home', a funky number about the end of a relationship. As the album starts with the first flush of new love, you will notice that the lyrics start to become a bit bitter towards the end of the album, which is about the end of a relationship. Thus the album finishes, quite aptly, with a rocky track named 'Sweetest Goodbye'.
I have used the term 'laid back' several times in this review and I think it sums up Maroon 5's music well, as the album is full of laid back, effortless rock music.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wicked Chilled Rock Collection. Brilliant, 5 July 2005
This review is from: Songs About Jane (Audio CD)
This is a brilliant album, that cannot be denied. This is the kind of debut LP that doesn't come along very often, and when one of this standard does arrive, special attention must be paid. "Songs About Jane" is a fantastic collection of laid back rock tracks that just about anyone who listens to is sure to enjoy instantly. There are some key tracks that stand out for me, but all of the album is at an excellent stanard. The best tracks include "The Sun", "Shiver", "Through with You" and of course all the singles "Sunday Morning", "She Will Be Loved". "This Love" and "Harder to Breathe". But these are just some of the highlights in an otherwise excellent album.
I purchased "Songs About Jane" from the iTunes Online Music Store, and it's been on my iPod ever since. It's probably the album I listen to more of than anything else. If you consider I have about 700 tracks loaded onto my iPod you get an idea of just how special this record is. If you've liked the singles, you definatley won't be dissapointed with the other tracks and if you're looking for some chilled out rock than this is your only choice - simple.

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic!, 11 Oct 2003
carmen (Derbyshire, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Songs About Jane (Audio CD)
The first song i heard by Maroon 5 was harder to breathe and i fell in love with it! I went out to buy the album and was not disappointed at all! Their songs are a mix of rock and soul, and really a little bit of everything. The album has some great guitar driven songs like 'harder to breathe' and 'not coming home', some jazzy ones like 'sunday morning', and some ballads as well like 'she will be loved'. Whatever genre of music your into there must be a Maroon 5 song for you. I was also able to see them live and just like the album they were amazing and fantastic too.

Songs About Jane
Songs About Jane by Maroon 5 (Audio CD - 2007)