Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Cyber Monday Deals Week in Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Amazon Fire TV Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Voyage Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now

Format: Audio CDChange

on 23 January 2005
The best album of the last 5 years.
I've not repeatedly enjoyed or revisted an album as much as this since The Bends by Radiohead. Every song sparkles with loveliness and immaculate production. Metarie is simply beautiful, and produced in such a way that the slower reprise of it at the end of the album is even more surprising in that it manages to be every bit as good as the earlier version.
Melodic, comforting, uplifting, calming, energising - this is going to set an almost unreachable standard for the forthcoming follow-up to meet. If my iPod was wiped, this would be one of the first albums that I'd put back on it.
on 24 March 2006
I had to post this review after reading the review by thisisadrian which I completely disagree with, I absolutely love Indie music and somehow I'd never heard of BB until my girlfriend turned me on to him and I seriously cannot stop listening to all 3 of his albums which are all brilliant in different ways and he's nothing like David Gray or Coldplay he has far more cred than that! I think the previous reviewer may regret writing his nonsense since BB is now in a band with Jack White (Raconteurs), I've had the pleasure of seeing them live in Glasgow and they are going to be MASSIVE!!!
on 15 December 2004
I was lucky enough to get tickets to see Keane live last month, usually when I go and see a gig the support acts are a mere distraction, not so on this occasion. Who is this guy? I was forced to ask, as one brilliant song followed another... Brendan Benson was the reply I received, the first thing I did the next morning was order his album.
The album is superb, stand out tracks for me have to be 'Life in the D', which has something of a Semisonic feel to it, and 'Jet Lag', but all fall behind the wonderful 'Metarie', which is, for me one of the best songs I have ever heard. It is true the album is 'a grower' as well, some of the songs I was not too keen on when I first got the album are now firm favourites.
I am glad I went to see Keane for a number of reasons, but one reason stands out above others, if I hadn't, I would probably have never heard of Brendan Benson, and that would have been a tradegy!
on 26 June 2003
Brendan Benson is an amazingly talented singer-songwriter! I bought this album after I sam him open up for Ben Kweller. His music is full of catchy, quirky, hooks and lyrics. It's filled with just the right mix of energetic pop, like the immediately likable "I'm Easy", and soft truthful melodies like that in "Metarie." He manages to pour out his soul in this album, yet still maintain a nonchalant aloofness throughout.
This album is perfect for those who appreciate clever, fun lyrics. It also would be a good choice for someone who likes indie/underground music, but is frustrated with the lack of strong melodies that many bands within the genre deliver. This album quickly became a favorite for me and everyone around me.
on 1 December 2003
Brendan Benson: romantic, loser, casualty of the record industry and once again an indie darling shows his mettle and resolve on this wonderful album. A victim of the fickleness of his record label, Benson was dropped after the release of his first album. This decidedly lo-fi and late second effort is a testament to the resolve of an artist to make the songs he wants, and a beautiful one at that. Quite simply, Benson is one of the best songwriters around right now, and he manages to make his apparently rather pathetic and bitter existence into some of the best-crafted songs of the last 10 years. The arrangements are magnificent, simple-sounding but deceptively intricate, the lyrics show an astonishing ingenuity and bitterness that, despite their relatively quiet tones, compel you to listen. Especially check out 'Tiny Spark', 'Folk Singer', 'Good To Me', 'What' and 'Jetlag' . . . in fact, screw it, the whole album's made up of stand-out tracks. A resounding victory for the underdog.
on 6 April 2003
What an excellent album this is! Following traditions of folk rock and even punk rock in its earliest forms, but adding personal modern elements. Its diverse, but not so diverse you can't find recurring, induvidual elements in every track. Its also refreshing to hear an album which sounds not entirely over produced, Lapalco sounds almost vintage, but perhaps thats just the masses of superbly crafted backing vocals and guitar layers. Its of no doubt Benson is talented either, his vocals are clear and well sung. He drums, plays guitars, bass, and piano's on the album. And if that wasnt enough, each song on the album is also so well written, its hard not to like.
on 31 October 2004
Do not expect much in ambitious content, distinction, originality or anything too addictive here. Then you may settle down to enjoy easy listening with an enjoyable mix of tempo, rhythm and mood. Some tracks verge of impersonation, it's part of the entertainment to identify that rift, melody or signature intro. Find Ray Davis, Elliot Smith, The Beatles, Carpenters, Lennon and others. This album is fun listening. I just love that pop intro to Pleasure Seeker. There's high consistency - there's not one bad track. I vote for taking a dance through the decades with Brendan and be a Pleasure Seeker too.
on 14 April 2003
This album is excellent. It's one of the very few albums that I can put on from the beginning and listen to the whole way through, and enjoy, instead of programming it to my favourite few. Although at first it kind of sounds similar, after a few listens each song takes on its own distinct shape and melody. It's one of those great CDs that the more you listen the more you find bits in it that you like track 7 which wasn't a favourite at first but which I now think is one of the best on the album.It's difficult to listen to this while talking to people because you constantly stop to sing along, maybe just to a particularly brilliant line. There are also loads of tiny, barely audible whispers hidden in the songs (listen out for the 'Psst!' in Folk Singer and the 'brrm brrm' in Good To Me).My favourites are Jetlag, What, Life in the D, You're Quiet and Tiny Spark. One last thing if you're considering buying this because you've heard Jack White talking about Brendan (like I did) then don't be fooled into thinking he is anything like the White Stripes. He isn't, but he's equally enjoyable to listen to. Go ahead and buy it and you definitely won't regret it.
on 16 May 2003
First Heard of Brendan Benson when he was given a bit of airplay with the single Tiny Spark and immediately bought the album. Great guitar playing incorporated with clever catchy lyrics will keep you coming back for more long after other albums become boring. He rocks live as well.
on 23 April 2012
With so much bland music played on the radio these days, produced as a mere commodity by people only interested in money and celebrity; it is wonderful to discover artists such as Brendan Benson, who take pride in their craft and release music with real heart and soul.

"Lapalco" is perhaps his finest work to date, with such gems of pop/rock as "Tiny Spark", "Metarie" (such a sad song about rejection)and "Folk Singer".

Great songs, strong melodies and plenty of guitars, matched by fine production:this is a superb album. It's a mystery to me why Brendan Benson isn't a star, other than he seems a self-deprecating sort of a person, not someone with the big ego than seems to be a prerequisite for success in the music business.

If you like this, check out his latest offering, "What Kind of World": another excellent album.