Linda has a very distinctive voice - although she likens her own voice to Minnie Riperton, you wouldn't confuse the two after hearing them both. This compilation covers her Reprise years from 1971 to 1974. The most famous of these tracks is Rock a doodle do. For her covers of It's in his kiss and Baby I'm yours, there is a separate compilation of her Arista music of the late seventies, which I've already reviewed.
Linda wrote all the Reprise tracks on this compilation, usually by herself, although a couple were co-writes. When she moved to Arista, she did not get to record many of her own songs. Partly for that reason, Linda likes her Reprise music better than her Arista music, although that was more commercially successful.
During Linda's period on Reprise, she cut three original albums, plus two other tracks that appeared on a compilation. Rock a doodle doo, one of these tracks, became her biggest hit on Reprise. Linda provides notes about each song - on this one she says she wanted to prove she could write a hit song. It is not typical of the album, which is influenced as much by Joni Mitchell as it is by soul music. Therein lay Linda's problem - she did not fit any stereotype. Her music was, and remains, distinctive.
Curiously, Linda is hugely popular in Japan, though she remains comparatively unknown in Britain and America. The Japanese clearly know a good singer when they hear one.
on 1 November 2012
Linda Lewis made some exceptinoal records in the 1970s, and continues to record today. Her hit record, the catchy "Rock a doodle doo" brought her to fame, but her recorded material shows depth and maturity, and this album is no exception.
Despite not being "Pigeon-holed" in a particular music genre, Linda sings any songs effortlessly, and I thoroughly recommend this album to anyone who has not heard any of Linda's excellent songs.
on 8 May 2004
Me, I love this womens music. I saw her live as the secondary artiste at the Capitol Theatre in Cardiff....Family were topping the bill but for me, there was NO comparison to Linda....I love her and still do. Maybe to me the best album was LARK....every track a masterpiece...I love it and Im glad to see that the album has given a few tracks to the Best of album....to me magic....I love you Linda....I really do.Hope you are well....all my love Iain x