5.0 out of 5 stars Sheer Chiliance!
When I bought this album I was not expecting much. After I had played it I couldn't of hoped for anything more. This album truly is the greatest musical work ever with amazing and even beautiful tracks from the funky, fast-paced Can't Stop to the poetic ballads like Midnight and the brilliant, brilliant Venice Queen.
The masterpiece begins with title track By the Way...
Published on 25 Feb. 2003 by C PIERCE

2.0 out of 5 stars japanese
the disc is the japanese version, the infolds and writing are in japanese. the music is still the same but if you want the original one intended for the country get 'by the way explicit lyrics'. just letting people know.
Published on 21 Dec. 2009 by ALISON HESKETH

‹ Previous | 118 19 20 21 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars What are you lot playing at???, 25 Sept. 2002
This review is from: By the Way (Audio CD)
Right. Let's get one thing straight. I am not here to rubbish the Chilis. I like the Chilis and I have a great deal of respect for them. However, this is a poor attempt at an album.
When Linkin Park released Reanimation, everyone was disappointed that they hadn't put together a new album, but at least they admitted that it was a remix album. There are only about four songs on this album that are genuinely new, the others are just lifted straight off of Californication and fiddled with ever so slightly before giving them new lyrics. The similarities are in places so obvious that I found myself singing the words to 'Otherside' to one of the tracks.
I loved Californication, I do not like this. It is a boring revamp of the same songs and it has been gathering dust since I bought it. I must say, however, that it has not been given such a low rating because it isn't good. It has been given such a low rating because Californication is about eight million times better.
I think this is one for the die hard fans only. Come on guys, you can do much better than this!

5.0 out of 5 stars Different isnt always bad, 31 July 2002
Andrew (Glasgow, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: By the Way (Audio CD)
I was eagarly awaiting the release of this album and when it finally arrived I was very pleased.
The first track 'By The Way' is a great rock/funk song and very chilis sounding. However the rest of the album, as some people have already said, is quite different. This is not a bad thing though. The album is more mature than previous albums such as Mothers Milk and it appears that the chilis have grown up. The album flows from one song to another with some stand out tracks being universally speaking, tear and minor thing (and also the title track By The Way).
Although there is not the usual chilis funk sound I would definatly recomend it to any chilis fan and any rock fan. It is a great sounding, well written album and the cd remains in my cd player constantly just now.

2.0 out of 5 stars poor showing, 31 Jan. 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: By the Way (Audio CD)
for a band whose career was built on being inventive, energetic and fun this is in my opinion a very poor showing. californication saw them return in to the worlds charts with style following the hugely underrated One Hot Minute and now theyve guaranteed themselfs a place as one of the worlds biggest (along side the likes of u2) we can witness them "acting their age". This is the kind of album which i feel can only be called exciting and innovative by fans of *shudder* counting crows and their insidious bedfellows.
which is a dreadful shame considering how great albums like Uplift Mofo Party Plan, Mothers Milk, BloodSugarSexMagik and Californication were and the flashes of inspiration which peppered their debut album as well as OHM and freaky styley.
the songs are very "samey" and the album quickly becomes a wretched chore to listen too, its "highlights" merely pale shadows of previous recordings.
perhaps the title "californication : outtakes and b-sides" would be more suited, it would certainly excuse the dip in standards.

3.0 out of 5 stars 'cept not the way it used to be., 21 Aug. 2002
This review is from: By the Way (Audio CD)
The new Chili's album isn't a bad record, it features many tracks similar to the chart busting efforts of Californication, (perhaps too many), and will no doubt appeal to many fans whilst also attracting new listeners, probably from the same age group as the older band members. The title track is among the top three best on the album, but it is not classic chili's. Whilst "By the Way" will do well in sales it may be a let down to many fans of the band who favour the more vigourous and charged albums of the last decade, the boys seem to have put in a lack lustre effort and are clearly trapped in the soulful ballad manufacturing market which reaped such success on the last album (but there weren't this many). Don't get me wrong the songs on this album are worth listening to, but any artist could have written them and glimpses of Flea's and Fruschante's (query spelling) abilities are all too few. It's the RHCP's making an album full of tracks which don't feature the Chili's at their best. For mainstream market success don't read top quality Chili Peppers.

3.0 out of 5 stars Red Hot Chillis without the Chillis, 31 July 2002
This review is from: By the Way (Audio CD)
I have read the above reviews, how can anyone who is a true RHCP fan say 'I miss the funk of earlier albums' and give the album 5 stars. The music is undeniably 'mature' and full of thoughful, melodic songs, but does it sound like the Red Hot Chilli Peppers?
The album may be a grower, but I have to say I am dissapointed. The previous albums slapped you in the face, hitting you with outrageous funk, style and individuality that screamed at you from the stereo, 'Turn me up, I'm different'!!! Where is the individuality on this album - listen to albums from a 1000 other groups and you will get this sound........ what you don't get is the Red Hot Chilli Peppers.
The bottom line is this, I've bought it and I have listened to it. If you have your parents or your grandparents coming around for dinner, play it as I can guarantee it will be the only Red Hot Chilli Peppers album they will like.

2.0 out of 5 stars One step too far, 17 July 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: By the Way (Audio CD)
As a long time chilli's fan "by the way" was one of my most eagerly awaited albums of the year. After the brilliant "californication" i was expecting more of the same especially after the release of the title track which fuelled my expectations of the album. However i was sorely disappointed with the end product.
What i was not expecting was a progression into bleary indieish blandness with some tracks stinking slightly of country and western. What is a harmonica doing on a chilli's album? Some tracks such as stop the rot briefly by reminding me of earlier chilli's material with a good guitar riff and penetrating vocals.
But the rest of the album left me severely underwhelmed and wondering whether the chilli's can still be called a "rock" group.

2.0 out of 5 stars Oh dear, 8 July 2002
This review is from: By the Way (Audio CD)
Well, what can I say? As soon as I listened to the first track "By the Way" I was hooked, but don't be fooled, the rest of the album is VERY different. The album is very calm but doesn't have anything distinctive in it, I really found a lot of the songs very bland. This is definatly not a rock album like Calafornication but more experimental. I didn't like it. It now belongs to my boyfriend (a big fan of Ska-something the Chili's decided to experiment with). I would recommend anyone with a love of Rock to stear clear of this album because it's no One Hot Minute.

4.0 out of 5 stars Progressively more boring, 30 Jun. 2003
This review is from: By the Way (Audio CD)
this album is great at the start although after a while i got really bored with it.
there is not much in the album which will leave you wanting more and you will soon find it at the bottom of your cd pile.
Godd for the price but nothing special in the long run.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but..............., 13 Jun. 2002
Vincent Hughes (Liverpool, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: By the Way (Audio CD)
I am a big Red Hot Chili Peppers fan and I have listened to all the songs on the new album 'By the Way.' The songs are typical chilis but seem to be a mish-mash of old songs. The title track was a bit of a let down for me. I was expecting originality, but what I got is was a dancy version of all the Californication songs all together in one. It had moments of chilis brilliance but on the whole could be much better. By far the best song on the whole album is 'Cabron.' Similar to Californications, 'Road trippin' but with speeded up areas and far more originality than any of the other songs on the album. It is a fantastic song, showing the chilis are still THE best band around at the moment. I was amused to find out the meaning of the word 'Cabron,' in such an acousticy song. (Cabron means B*****d in Spanish). The rest of the songs on the album are nothing particularly special, and have lots of elements off previous albums. It is a good typical chilis albums with all the funk elements aswell as some really brilliant acoustic and mellow parts. I like the album but it is not quite a classic.

4.0 out of 5 stars by the way, 3 April 2006
This review is from: By the Way (Audio CD)
not the best red hot chilli pepppers album, and most of teh songs arent as good in my opinion as teh zephyr song, nowhwere near as good as blood sugar sex magic or mothers milk but still gets played sp can't eb that bad

‹ Previous | 118 19 20 21 | Next ›

By the Way
By the Way by Red Hot Chili Peppers (Audio CD - 2002)