on 10 May 2011
The Hohner Big River is a quality instrument. Feels good and solid in the hand, very attractive thanks to the designs on the steel cover plates. They are nice and old fashioned looking and pretty cool!
The sound is quite loud and strong. A few of the notes are quite easy to bend, even for a beginner like me. My only quibble is that a couple of the notes on the high end are weak and don't really sound properly. I'm going to try and rectify this myself by gently bending the reeds in question.
I'd recommend this to beginners or even advanced players as a good cheap way of getting into Harmonica, or as a back-up to more expensive instruments. If you can get one with strong notes all the way up the scale then I'd give it five stars. As it is I have to reduce the stars to three because of the trouble with a couple of notes.
22 comments| 52 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 April 2013
The item is sturdy and comes in an attractive casing and generally I like the sound of the instrument though there does seem to be a problem at the top of the register which is somewhat unsettling at times.
on 2 December 2010
It has a bright and bluesy sound, and looks the part. It is loud, and therefore good for busking, and is very affordable. If your wondering weather to by a silver star or this, for the money, this is definately worth it. It's in c, and can play a g blues. Make sure you take this into account when buying it, you may want to buy an f harmonica, and therefore have the flat 7th you need for a c blues.
on 24 August 2012
This is a very good harmonica at a really good price. I started off with a Special 20 and have tried other harps such as the Suzuki Bluesmaster and they are also very good. However, the Big River plays just as well as any and is significantly cheaper. The build quality and tone are excellent in my opinion, and it is part of the MS (modular system) harmonica range produced by Hohner which includes the Blues Harp, Cross Harp and Pro Harp which are a lot more expensive. The Big River has a plastic comb which I like and I would recommend this harp to anyone regardless of playing ability. I have bought three in different keys and I am happy with them all. Try one, you won't be disappointed and at the price it's a better buy than any other in the MS range.
on 31 March 2011
Solid Instrument by top make, tone tends to be towards crisp rather than mellow but gives a strong
vibrant responce.
I would like to test it against a special 20 to see which I prefer.
on 13 February 2011
The last time I tried to play an instrument was about 40 yrs ago in primary school recorder classes, I was encouraged to give "the harp" a go after trying out my niece's over Christmas.

Well, Stevie Wonder ain't exactly quakeing in his boots but "she who does the dishes" says it don't sound toooooooo bad when I practice so that alone should say a lot about the quality of this harmonica....and it comes in a box!
on 9 March 2014
Great harmonica made by hohner, I bought two of these one for me & one for my grandson just so we could have a play about with them and they sound great and it's not long before you get to play a bit of a tune on them.
on 17 April 2013
This was my first harp purchase so I can't give you any comparatives.
All I know is that it's small enough to fit my hands and large enough to work my way around the notes.
Some notes are easier than others of course but they all come with practise.
Well made and feels like the real deal even of it looks a bit like a toy.
Well worth the money if you're serious about learning this overlooked instrument.
on 3 January 2011
I bought this product for my husband who is wanting to learn the harmonica. I also bought him a book to help him to learn too. The product arrived well, packaged well and on time.
The harmonica is excellent, one of the best types too.
on 19 February 2013
I'm an absolute beginner and this is a remarkably inexpensive harmonica which provides all the notes you are likely to require, is easy to play and has a fantastic tone.Really well made. I would recommend this harmonica, love it