5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning second album from the boy from Burslem
Published on 7 Mar 2000

1.0 out of 5 stars I WASN'T EXPECTING THIS!
I bought Life Thru a Lens cos' he rocked. I bought this 2nd album cos' I wanted more of the stuff that so impressed me. Sadly, I was wrong, and this is a v. weak follow-up to the utterly BRILLIANT LIFE THRU A LENS. I hope Robs can try & make a better come-back next time!
Published on 31 Mar 2000

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning second album from the boy from Burslem, 7 Mar 2000
This review is from: I've Been Expecting You (Audio CD)
Robbie's second album I've Been Expecting You is at least as good as any album I've ever heard, including Life Thru A Lens. Ballads like the excellent She's The One and angst ridden tracks like Strong all show what a genius Robbie is and how much he has come on since his days with Take That. Robbie is currently working on his third album, a must for every music fan I hear.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another excellent album, 29 Mar 2000
This review is from: I've Been Expecting You (Audio CD)
This is another excellent album from Robbie Williams, not quite as good as Life Thru A Lens imho but coming pretty close. The singles are great songs - from Millennium to my personal favourite She's The One - but the quality of the other tracks is what makes this album great. If you like any of his work, then you'll like this album because he maintains brilliant quality throughout.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sheer Brilliance!, 11 April 2000
This review is from: I've Been Expecting You (Audio CD)
OK, so he's arrogant, a little bit up-himself and has an ego bigger than Brit Award collection but Robbie Williams is a musical legend...well, perhaps not yet, but he WILL be. I don't have "Life Thru A Lens" but if it is half as good as "I've been expecting you" then Robbie's done well. There are many albums nowadays that have two good songs (usually the single releases) and the rest are dissapointing and repetitive. This album is different and in my opinion Millenium and No Regrets are probably the worst two songs on it. Karma Killer is ROCKIN' and with songs like Phoenix from the Flames, Win Some Lose Some and the beautiful Heaven From Here, this album is one of the best I have ever heard. Enjoy...

4.0 out of 5 stars Sheer brilliance, 14 Dec 1999
This review is from: I've Been Expecting You (Audio CD)
Coming from his first album which I have to admit had a couple of the best songs I've ever heard, I knew that Robbie would really have his work cut out for him in even trying to equal its success. but with songs like 'Strong', 'Millenium' and 'Win some, lose some' Robbie definitely shows that he can keep on churning out the brilliance.
Some undoubtedly excellent pieces of music and I can't wait for his next album, well done Robbie.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't Get Enough!, 22 Dec 1999
This review is from: I've Been Expecting You (Audio CD)
Being from the US, my first introduction to Rob was "Millennium" and I immediately bought "The Ego Has Landed". It's the first CD I've owned in 5 yrs where I can listen to every single track w/o the need to skip any. Therefore, when I found out the songs were a compilation of 2 other albums, I knew I had to have them, and I wasn't disappointed. His first album is a classic; some of my favorite songs aren't even on 'Ego'. However, here he has mangaged to escape the sophomore curse by producing a CD that surpasss his first. Not only has his voice matured, but his writing is phenomenal! The clincher, is the fact that Robbie has managed to satiate musical schizophrenics like myself who often find themselves listening to every genre of music available today. "Millennium" offers pure pop served on a hip-hop beat; "Grace" obviousy showcases his rat pack influence, "No Regrets" is simply a melancholy masterpiece; "Karma Killer" totally rocks out; "Strong" pure guitar pop, "Jesus in a Camper Van", (although not too critically acclaimed, is one of my favorites)is the meeting of folk and hip-hop; and "Phoenix from the Flames" is one of the most uplifting mission statements I've ever heard. But, in my opinion, the singular thing that catapults this CD, as well as Robbie, into a class all its own, is the fact that he can bring all these genres of music together and create a sound that's uniquely Robbie, instead of a night at the karaoke bar.

5.0 out of 5 stars Soul-Energizing, 11 Mar 2010
Atli Hafsteinsson (Reykjavík, Iceland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I've Been Expecting You (Audio CD)
I've Been Expecting You is a delight. I cannot praise it enough. A masterpiece. Overflowing with sublime, catchy music, this 2nd effort by Robbie Williams far outshines his mismatched debut Life Thru a Lens. I've Been Expecting You is as interesting and involving as its sleeve might suggest, and then some.

The first three songs on the album are its most famous hits - "Strong, "No Regrets" and (my mother's favourite) "Millennium". Wonderful as all of these are, they only scrape the gist of the treasure that is I've Been Expecting You. "Phoenix from the Flames" is beautiful and soulful, and "Win Some Lose Some" has a great chorus.

However, for me it's with track 6, "Grace", that the album really begins to touch ether. Sublime, moving... a good taste of what's coming.

Track 7 is interesting - on earlier versions of the album, here you'd find "Jesus in a Camper Van". Following a lawsuit from an artist I can't name over Robbie supposedly unlawfully using the phrase "I am the way", the track was removed. In its place, we hit the single "It's Only Us". I couldn't be more delighted with the exchange. "Jesus in a Camper Van" was always my least favourite track off the album, one that simply did not channel the album's spirit. "It's Only Us" is short, energetic and feisty. Sometimes copyright issues can be for the better.

"Heaven from Here" and "Karma Killer" hurl you from one mood to the next, masterfully. From exquisite, peaceful contentness to full-on, soul-searching brutality."Karma Killer" is very refreshing, powerful and furious, even risking a little humour by closing with a chorus of barking dogs (and perhaps not the dogs you had in mind).

K. Wallinger's "She's the One" kicks in at this point, one you surely recognise. A wonderful song for sure. "Man Machine" exists solely for the fun of it, and with its surreal and sometimes nonsensical imagery, its playfulness shouldn't be lost to anyone.

Then... wow. "These Dreams" is absolutely indescribable. To call it beautiful, touching or moving is nowhere near adequate. It builds towards such a finish that most great albums would kill to end on such a high note.

If you have listened to Life Thru a Lens and Sing When You're Winning (the following album to I've Been Expecting You), you will have made it instinct to fast forward after the final song draws to a close. However, whereas Life Thru a Lens gave you a poem and Sing When You're Winning aggravatingly didn't give you anything, I've Been Expecting You rewards you with not one but TWO secret tracks; "Stand Your Ground" and "Stalker's Day Off" (whose title is perhaps accidentally given away in the booklet, under songwriting teams). "Stand Your Ground" is absolutely amazing in its simplicity and beauty. "Stalker's Day Off" doubles both as touching and tastelessly funny.

Robbie Williams and Guy Chambers really outdid themselves here. I've Been Expecting You also has a terrific sleeve taken at the famous house in Hollywood Hills. Featuring Robbie and an unknown woman, it has a theme that tells a story all on its own. You know, just to spoil you a little more.

I could call this album soul-energizing. I could call it magical. Music runs on a plane closer to me than my words can describe. No denying, though, that I've Been Expecting You is phenomenal. Thank you, Robbie and Guy, for making one of my most heartfelt favourite albums.

5.0 out of 5 stars A rare album, 2 Jan 2000
This review is from: I've Been Expecting You (Audio CD)
A rare album in which every single track is as excellent as the previous. You'll find it extremely difficult picking out a favourite among favourites.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic stuff!, 22 Dec 1999
This review is from: I've Been Expecting You (Audio CD)
Robbie's album is superb - a struggle as it is for some to admit it. He has successfully become a star in his own right and now it is "cool" to love Rob... an enormous task following TT! Whatever happens though, his hardcore fan base will see him through. He has a gorgeous voice and is a talented songwriter combo alongside Guy Chambers. He is the best guy in the world and I love him. You are fantastic Rob, trust me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Groovy, Baby! Yeah!, 26 Jan 2000
This review is from: I've Been Expecting You (Audio CD)
The album is great and it is very original and has that normal Robbie theme runnig through it, it includes a wide selection of song types so there should be something for most people tastes. The hits which stand out are Millenium and Strong but Phoenix from the Flames and Jesus in a Camper Van are also very good. Anyone who believes that Robbie cannot sing is quite seriously tone deaf and should get their head read! A Bargain Buy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Robbie Williams CD I've Been Expecting You, 1 Dec 2013
100% satisfied excellent CD

Well done Robbie another happy fan

you have always had the X Factor

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

I've Been Expecting You
I've Been Expecting You by Robbie Williams (Audio CD - 2002)