5.0 out of 5 stars Bombay Rocks!
Published on 18 Jun. 2002 by darkmaverick

3.0 out of 5 stars Bollywood meets Andrew Lloyd Weber
Now I know that this wasnt written by Lloyd Weber and don't get me wrong, I am a fan but after hearing this CD I was a little disappointed that it wasnt better. It starts with a fantastic overture reminiscent of a Michael Nyman score but then goes into a half-hearted attempt with only a few glimpses of genius. Being a stranger to Bollywood I was keen for this to impress...
Published on 3 July 2002 by David Stewart Mckee

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Bombay Rocks!, 18 Jun. 2002
This review is from: Bombay Dreams (Audio CD)
When I first heard that Andrew Lloyd Webber was working on a production called "Bombay Dreams", I must admit at first I raised an eyebrow and thought "Has he gone stark raving mad?". Luckily it appears not! He has gone on record as saying that this show will change the face of musical theatre in the UK, and he's right! This album encapsulates the essence of Bollywood, from the first sweeping strings to the breath taking dance numbers. I was not a fan of asian music, but this album has certainly made me change my mind. A R Rahman's ground breaking music fuses ethnic indian with western beats. The songs are simply stunning and lyrical (The best being Like An Eagle, and Chaiyya Chaiyya), and makes you WANT to see this show. If the production is as colourful as the album, this is one dream you will want to have, albeit in your cd collection!

4.0 out of 5 stars Impressed in the U.S., 19 July 2002
This review is from: Bombay Dreams (Audio CD)
I had heard the basics of the new production, and being interested in finding something new, I decided to give the soundtrack a try. I am not a great collector of theatrical soundtracks, but I am certainly glad that I took the chance.
The score was beautiful, and I absolutely fell in love with the rhythm of "Chalyya Chalyya" and "Wedding Qawwali", as well as the title track.
Honestly, I did find that there were a few of the quieter songs, like "Ohh La La" that perhaps might have come across better when viewing them on the stage that it is performed on, as the songs themselves came across as too slick and smooth for me.
"Don't Release Me" is an interesting song, it rather grew on me once I caught myself singing it in the car.
"Shakalaka Baby" and "Happy Endings" are more pop driven and could be easily pictured as singles. They are not your typical orchestra driven stage numbers and can be understood by a younger audience. If anyone remembers "Chess" and Murray Head's "One Night in Bangkok" from it you will get the idea.
If you would like to try something different than what is currently out there, on the charts or in the theater, you might want to check out a few of the samples that you can find on the official website for "Bombay Dreams".
Though I don't find every track flawless (I rarely do for any given album), I do think that it was certainly worth having it shipped to me in the US instead of having to wait for it to be released here. It's a refreshing change of pace.

4.0 out of 5 stars Dreaming of Bombay, 7 Aug. 2002
This review is from: Bombay Dreams (Audio CD)
the first time i heard a hint of asian music was in "Moulin Rouge" in the finale number. it definitely wet my appetite. so when Bombay Dreams was released i had to go and sample the album...and i must say that i wasn't disappointed..i except that this is probably alot more western than true asian music but i've now found myself wanting to get hold of more music of this genre..as far as the performances go the vocals are great and the musical arrangements beat the pants off most western music..my fave tracks are "Like an Eagle" and "Happy Endings"
p.s. raza jaffrey has to be one of the most beautiful men i've seen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dreaming of Bombay, 10 Jun. 2003
This review is from: Bombay Dreams (Audio CD)
Bombay Dreams by A R Rahman is a hit and it is a must for all musical fans. I first bought this CD early in 2003 and found the music a bit boring and gave up listening after the first time running the CD. My friend came to my house and played the CD and I was instantly inspired by the music (and lyrics). So, as someone here said before me, listen to a few times because you might not find it in tune with your taste the first time you listen to it. After that, I managed to get down to London to see the actual show, and the result? I got addicted to this CD now and I wish I could stop thinking about the dream, Bombay. Special music that stand out includes Love's Never Easy, Shakalaka Baby, Chaiyya Chaiyya, Closer Than Ever and The Journey Home. Other songs have a more Indian touch, but I can assure you that you'll like it once you listen to it a few more times, adding a visit to the theatre to see the actual show.

4.0 out of 5 stars India's Pied Piper, 16 July 2002
This review is from: Bombay Dreams (Audio CD)
Having been a long time fan of Rahman's music my advice to first time listener's is PLEASE listen to the CD 3-4 times before rushing to judjment! Rahman's music always seems to get better with repeated listenings and BomBay Dreams is no exception.While six of the tracks are familiar to Indian Listeners the new arrangements for these are interesting. As for the new music the overture, Are You Sure you want to be famous,Bombay Dreams, The Journey Home and Wedding Qawalli stand out. Rahman might be accused of sounding like LLOYD WEBBER but in the process he has given us yet another set of beautiful melodies.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bombay Dreams - A Bollywood Dream, 18 Feb. 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Bombay Dreams (Audio CD)
I have seen the show twice and am going to see it again in March. It is one of the best Musicals I have ever seen. The music is great. 'The Journey Home' still reduces me to tears when I hear it and 'Shakalaka Baby' makes you want to bop along in the aisles. If you have not seen it book your ticket as soon as you can.

5.0 out of 5 stars A.R.Rahman Rules, 29 Jun. 2002
This review is from: Bombay Dreams (Audio CD)
First of all,this CD is a true master piece.There are 6 songs taken from A.R.Rahman's previous Hindi films!!So lack of originality does not come into picture..The best songs are "The Journey Home","How many stars","Wedding Qawwali","Chaiyya Chaiyya" and "Ooh la la".A.R.Rahman has used some superb chords in the songs Happy Endings.A.R.Rahman has once again proved that he is a living LEGEND.This CD is a must buy for all music lovers!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Bombay Dreams is magic, 18 Sept. 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Bombay Dreams (Audio CD)
I went to see Bombay Dreams last night--and to my surprise I was completely overwhelmed by the beauty and dynamism of the show. The music was unbelievably catchy and very exciting to listen to-Im sure that most of the audience was struggling to sit still in their seats.
I would recommend Bombay Dreams to anyone who enjoys listening to great bangra beats. The lyrics of most of the tunes are, I admit, very cheesy, but the music itself makes up for this deficiency. Its simply superb.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bomay Dreams, 15 Feb. 2004
richard irvine (Derby, Derbyshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bombay Dreams (Audio CD)
Just saw bombay bay dreams yesterday. I really enjoyed it plus all the music is great on the album. This album is well worth getting the songs are all great

5.0 out of 5 stars THE GREATEST MUSIC ON THIS EARTH I EVER HEARD, 14 Aug. 2002
This review is from: Bombay Dreams (Audio CD)
I am not a fan Asina music. I always have a great support to English singers but for the first time in my life, I am supporting for an Asian music director. Really A.R. Rahman's Bombay Dreams is simple superb - it's the best music that can be made with combining Western and Indian. The instruments used in our English songs are almost same and all of them seem to use the same trend in their albums. But check out Bombay Dreams - the instruments used, the way they have been used are unbelievable. This is sure it is going to claim a big name for A.R. Rahman in the west. If you people need a different music, go for Bombay Dreams - it will really make your ears cool and make you go along with the album. And listen to the album twice, you will start singing along with it. This album is really a work of a great music genius - A.R. Rahman. As we should welcome him to the zone of English music with a great applause. Haven't bought Bombay Dreams yet? Go and buy it now - not even a single cent will be wasted in your investment in Bombay Dreams - a pop, sentimental, enjoying, melodious and genuine totally different tunes. Give a big hand for A.R. Rahman please!!!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Bombay Dreams
Bombay Dreams by A.R. Rahman (Audio CD - 2002)