5.0 out of 5 stars What the F**king Hell Was That?!!!!!
Published on 29 Oct. 2003 by olip74

3.0 out of 5 stars Too abstract for my taste
Didn't enjoy the album as much as I expected. It's just too abstract and convoluted for my taste. But then that might just be my taste. There's definitely moments of brilliance but for me, they were just moments. Maybe I just don't understand it!? cLOUDDEAD gets the balance just right; this I feel is just too wierd
Published 7 months ago by Will G

5.0 out of 5 stars What the F**king Hell Was That?!!!!!, 29 Oct. 2003
This review is from: Circle (Audio CD)
I put this on and sat in disbelief of what I was hearing. It flows! that's for sure. There are moments of pure genius here, like Tricky or Busta Rhymes or Lee Perry at their best - completely off the wall but undeniable. Is it IDM/Electro/Rap/Hip-hop/Trip-Hop/Etc - who cares? it's a piece of pure poetry, sometimes you hear a totally engaging hook and it just disappears from the mix, teasing you and moving on to the next killer break...
Some devastating tracks, listenable from beginning to end, challenging and engaging at the same time, it's just plain good music! (BTW: If you like this try Programmed by Innerzone Orchestra [aka Carl Craig])

4.0 out of 5 stars So, jesus and I.., 24 Dec. 2008
D. T. Brunetti "manmadeofjam" (North London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Circle (Audio CD)
The four reviews here give quite an accurate balance of this album: it is genius, purely and simply just genius - Captain Beefheart for an avant-hip hop generation (because even within avanthiphop circles this is weird)..

Comparing this to the well known Trout Mask is rounding up nicely, it shares one commonality above all else: it has no tunes long enough. Sure, mr BoomBip makes some classic beats, but unlike Adam Doseone Druckers more recent band Subtle this just cannot mold a chorus line.
If you took cLOUDDEAD's Ten you'd find plenty of absurd rhymes that you'll mutter to yourself in a queue, but with Circle you'd be hard pushed to hum a melody..

But this is the thing, right?
That doesn't matter: this is unlike anything Drucker will ever do again. Themselves,DPP,Subtle,clouddead... nothing compares to the sheer excellence of this disk. Full of memorable lines and a beautifully crafted world of beats and noise, this should've lit the way for hip-hop artists to grab a map and follow as best possible.

This could be likened to Beefheart, but really it's closer to Can.

4.0 out of 5 stars Stream of Unconsciousness, 11 Jun. 2002
This review is from: Circle (Audio CD)
The Boom Bip music at times gives out because it can't keep up with the utterances, energy or inventiveness of the Doesone verbiage. It's Viv Stanshall for the electronica age; it does for hip hop and like genres what Beefheart did for Rock n Roll. A Trout Mask replica replica. When eventually the music is given centre stage you start to miss the voice of Doseone; no matter what he's saying. Weird, different, hilarious, unlistenable, unavoidable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible music beyond genre, 14 Jan. 2010
Mr. J. J. M. Omara "rabbitears" (london uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Circle (Audio CD)
I originally downloaded most of Doseone's stuff (he's gone by many names and some works are better than others) - but this music is so original, thoughtful, rhythmic and GOOD I had to buy the things.

If you like this check out cLOUDDEAD. I'd say that and this are timeless classics - I'll make no comment on the rest of Doseone's career :)

3.0 out of 5 stars Too abstract for my taste, 9 Oct. 2014

3.0 out of 5 stars Square...no melodies., 28 Feb. 2008
This review is from: Circle (Audio CD)
I just bought this and have been listening for a couple of days.

Let me start off by saying that I like Doseone. I think he's an interesting character, and the Deep Puddle Dynamics album is one of my all time favourites. I've also heard some awesome stuff by Boom Bip, although I am a little less familiar with his work. Let me also start off by saying that I am in no way AGAINST expanding the boundaries of hip-hop as it is currently known, and I can name many artists who are doing just that, but this album is neither as groundbreaking or as interesting as I was led to believe. I am a little dissapointed.

You know how "Frances the Mute" by the Mars Volta tends to have a lot of ambience and musical doodling in between songs? So does this album right here, and then you have the monologues and the musings of Doseone. I don't mind a bit of that, as Dose can be quite funny/thought provoking - I just think that they got the ratio wrong with this one. Too much skit not enough song.

The main thing that I think that this album lacks is melodies. Some of the songs/skits are just drums and vox, which isn't as much a step forward as it is a giant step back for hip-hop. Songs such as "The Birdcatcher's Return" have a decent sample with a melody, but others just don't seem to bother - and Doseone's changes in pitch seem to be almost indescriminate at times. I know some people are bored of us musicians insisting that you have to have a melody and a chord progression, but you DO. Not kidding.

Other than that...it's a pretty good, but very patchy album. It is not the work of genius that it is often hailed as, but if you like Doseone's rapping, abstract hip-hop music, DJ Shadow-esque instrumentals and lyrical content that ranges beyond the standard MTV fare, then you'll most likely get something out of this. While it is not universally excellent, the odd bits that are good are fantastic. Although it lacks melody in places, some of the tracks on this album are very rhythmically interesting.

I just feel that it would have made a better EP with reduced filler.

I hope this helps.

4.0 out of 5 stars Blows you away.... into schizophrenia, 31 Aug. 2003
This review is from: Circle (Audio CD)
This album starts with insane rambling which continues through-out, it as first seems mildly comical but moves on to be more than mildly disturbing, yet somehow leads to pleasurable listening…
It is described as hip-hop, yet I feel Trip-hop would make a better description as the boundaries of hip-hop were crossed well before this album starts, it is where surreal meets the insanity of hip-hop with remarkably good results.
This album by Boom Bip & Doseone will open your eyes to another reality; “Circle” will scare and warp you… possibly for the better.

Circle
Circle by Boom Bip & Doseone (Audio CD - 2002)