5.0 out of 5 stars scary and amazing
Published on 3 Aug 2002 by E Parry

3.0 out of 5 stars Something else
This is actually great value for money. You get a DVD, + a CD, for a very good price.
Published on 13 Feb 2003 by Christian Lowensprung

5.0 out of 5 stars scary and amazing, 3 Aug 2002
E Parry (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Autechre - Gantz Graf [DVD] (DVD)
I definately reccomend that if you buy this Autechre release, you buy this CD/DVD version. Listen to the CD first, you will probably be quite confused and bewildered by the title track, but the next two tracks (Dial and Cap.IV) will make more sense, especially if you're familiar with Autechre (in fact, if you're not familiar with Autechre, you'd be best starting with something else, like Chiastic Slide or Tri Repetae, then moving up to their more recent work). Watch the DVD second. The Gantz Graf video will most likely knock you out of your seat and scare the life out of you. If you've seen the promo pictures of the video, they're a bit misleading. It's very difficult to describe what the video actually looks like when it's moving, but it's very cleverly done and incredible to watch. It also immediately makes the track make a lot more sense. Just watch it, you'll see.
The other two video's are good aswell, although the Basscadet video is from 1994 so the computer graphics look very dated. It's a nice remix of the track though. The final video, Second Bad Vilbel, is directed by Chris Cunningham, who really knows how to make a music video. In a way it's similar to the Gantz Graf video in that the images change and shift along to the music. Having not heard the track before it's hard to imagine it without the video. It's stunning though.
There's also a slide show which allows you to see screenshots from the Gantz Graf video. It's not the same as watching it in motion but it allows you to see the detail of the 3D renderring.
If you're an Autechre fan, or into this scene in general, you'll probably buy this anyway. If you're not into Autechre already however, it's probably a safer bet to buy something else by them first.

4.0 out of 5 stars Classic Autechre, but not quite their best, 7 May 2004
This review is from: Autechre - Gantz Graf [DVD] (DVD)
Whilst the song and video are indeed excellent, this DVD and single aren't the best stuff you'll hear from Autechre - this is for the established fans, rather than the newcomers. If you're used to their more melodic and older stuff, like Amber or Incunabula, this'll knock you to the ground first time you play it - it's fast and it's loud. None of the melodic 9 minute track style music that you may be used to from thier older music - the title track clocks in at 3 minutes 58 seconds, and it's extreme and vibrant throughout. After a couple of listens, however, you'll get into it, and realise that it is another Autechre masterpiece. And the video is fnatastic, extremely well made and very pleasant to watch.
If you're just getting into Autechre, check out their older stuff first - this certainly isn't the place to start. If you're already into them and their style of music, then this is a must have.

5.0 out of 5 stars A work of post-modern art. Yeah, seriously!, 8 April 2003
C. Wigman "C Wigman." (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Autechre - Gantz Graf [DVD] (DVD)
Love it. Rutherford's video is the perfect accompaniment to Gantz Graf, what is certainly the most... intense track Booth and Brown have produced thus far. Basically, an object twists, turns, and morphs into various shapes - synchronised perfectly with the music: an unstoppable percussion monster that floored me when I first heard it. Yes, melodically it isn't up to much, but there's a few buried in the mass of psycho drum programming, which is memorable enough in its own right!
The other two videos on the DVD are edited versions of Basscadet and Second Bad Vilbel (MTV references removed, and other little things. So a huge improvement!), and are far less complex, and do pale in comparision to the Gantz vid. However, they're good in their own right, and both tracks are AE classics.
As for Dial and Cap IV (the other two tracks on the Gantz Graf EP), they're both very good; somewhat more melodic "Confield-ian" creations that complement Gantz very well.
So, the first big DVD masterpiece from Warp - here's hoping more follow (how about Red Snapper's Prince Blimey live sessions, guys?). Skam have followed up with the Meam disc, which is also very good, and worth getting... hopefully others will follow theirs and Warp's lead. The music video is an art that has still to be fully explored (outside the demoscene), and the DVD medium makes it easy for us all to hear and see such works. So, more please!

4.0 out of 5 stars Classic ae, 10 April 2003
Fraser Lovatt "Fraser" (Denmark) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Autechre - Gantz Graf [DVD] (DVD)
Good old Autechre. They tend to divide opinions. Some people love their work almost blindly, many people absolutely despise it.
Well, you get out of it what you put in. I think they are fantastic, and won't hear a bad thing said about them. Having said that, I can understand why some people just regard their music as noise. It can be abstract, random sounding - but there is a lot of beauty there, and a lot of hidden structure.
Gantz graf can sound a bit full on, especially at first listen, but listened alongside the visual here, it makes it more palatable to the uninitiated.
This is a superb single, has a different sound from many of their more recent work, and is slightly more accessible than tunes of late - but it's still classic Autechre, and has all their hallmarks. It won't fill any dance floors (well, none of the ones I've been on), but it's a cracking tune.

5.0 out of 5 stars ae do it again, 1 Sep 2002
This review is from: Autechre - Gantz Graf [DVD] (DVD)
autechre follow up the massively complex confield with this 3 track ep and dvd release. the tracks themselves are amazing, gantz graf's heavily time strectched beat tears through a synth hitting a few strict notes, dial is click central, with an organ playing what reminds me of the music they americans have in baseball matches, or ice hockey, or something. there are also some vocals in this track, this is ae though, so they are f`cked up. finally we have the epic cap.iv, a sonic representation of the chaos theory maybe. its wicked. last few minutes are pure head scramble. a million robots with laser guns go to war while a phantom hits chords on a piano and whispers songs through the mayhem.
alone, the three tracks on this ep are brilliant. it's with the video for gantz graf however, that things really fall into place. there is something in this video that reacts to every single sound in the song. we see a core in the centre of infinity spin out of control, shapes and light surrounding it, all moving in time to the track. at the end of the song a metal shield attaches itself over the core in an attempt to contain it, the cores having none of it and it goes mad and breaks free from the metal with a series of pulses, the track ends , and the core disappears. i'd say this is the most complex music video of all time. a must have.

3.0 out of 5 stars Something else, 13 Feb 2003
Christian Lowensprung (TRONDHEIM Norway) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Autechre - Gantz Graf [DVD] (DVD)
I love Autechre, so I knew that when I saw Autechre had released a DVD, I knew I had to have it. At first though, when I put the DVD in, and started the main spectacle I was a little bit confused. I have never heard, nor seen the main video Gantz Graf before, and what hit me like a baseball bat was a ton of beats, clashing in an inhuman, complex "pattern". This new_style of Autechre, if I may be so bold, isn't quite my cup of tea. It gets too beat driven, and too jazz inspired in my taste. I like the early days of Autechre, with Amber, and Tri Repetae++ being my favorite albums. Gantz Graf is a brilliant track, but isn't what I normally listen to for relaxing.
But whether you disagree or disagree with me doesn't matter. Track two on this DVD made me smile, and go to heaven. Because the music video of Bass Cadet, which I first saw on MTV's partyzone (back when MTV was good) was the main thing that made me discover Autechre. I recommend this DVD to fans of Autechre, and to people who want to discover that electronic music can be more than pop-trance, and 1, 2, 3 beats.

Autechre - Gantz Graf [DVD]
Autechre - Gantz Graf [DVD] by Autechre (DVD - 2002)