4.0 out of 5 stars I Can't Let Honeybus Go!!
I picked up this CD because I was looking for an anthology of an obscure, underrated 60's group, and also because I was rather taken with the pretty cover!! I already knew the song 'I Can't Let Maggie Go' so I thought it was definitely worth a listen. I soon discovered that they had plenty more brilliant songs under
their sleeves, which, madly, have been virtually...
Published on 12 Nov 2002 by Ms. L. Hall

2.0 out of 5 stars Stay off!
Published on 11 Jun 2003 by Even Johan Ottersland

4.0 out of 5 stars I Can't Let Honeybus Go!!, 12 Nov 2002
Ms. L. Hall "enigmate" (england UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: She Flies Like A Bird: The Anthology (Audio CD)
their sleeves, which, madly, have been virtually ignored by the record buying public. WHY????
Months later since the purchase, I have been meaning to submit a worthwhile review for this very worthwhile band.
their sound is a blend of soft rock and 'Baroque Pop' -the latter being the most prominent, generally, as nearly every track on this anthology has a pronounced string arrangement along
with oboe.
It is difficult to say who they most remind me of -there is obviously a Beatles influence there, and I get a Buffalo Springfield vibe on the more rocky number 'the Breaking Up Scene.' Also elements of Clifford T Ward!!, of which I'll speak of a little later!!
From reading the inside notes, the lead singer and writer, Pete
Dello, left the band not long after their only hit record 'Maggie..' However listening to the songs recorded afterwards, it is clear he wasn't the only talented singer/songwriter in the band.
CD1 consists of all their singles output, plus an entire album entitled 'Story' which starts with the title track and finishes on the track 'Ceilings No.2.' There really isn't a duff track on the entire album. Strong melodies, thoughtful lyrics, beautiful
singing and harmonies. I feel there is something of a folky influence in their sound also, most notable maybe on 'He was Columbus' which sounds very similar in rhythm and melody to Simon & Garfunkel's 'America.'
Practically every song on CD1 is infused with great melodies and charm. The strongest songs I feel are 'Delighted to see You'(-a jolly, carefree tune complete with kazoo!which is not dissimilar
to 'Little Lovely One' in sentiment on CD2.) Also 'She sold Blackpool Rock', Black Mourning Band', 'She Said Yes', 'Ceilings
No.2' & 'For Where Have You Been.'
CD2 consists of some BBC sessions (recorded before and during
the 'Maggie' period) and tracks from a reunion LP 'Recital', plus
some rarities. Here you hear the original lead singer, Pete Dello, singing on most of these tracks. His voice is very gentle and pure sounding. It is interesting to discover that he was (according to the inside notes) a 'kindred spirit' to one Clifford T. Ward. Certainly his voice is much the same, and the sentiments in the songs, have a tenderness and warm-heartedness
that is comparable. When I listen to the song 'Jug of Water'
I immediately feel like playing C.T Ward's 'The Traveller' to complement it!
Although CD2 is not as strong as CD1, there are some good standout tracks, including 'Little Lovely One' which has a joyous 'Hello,hello, hello, hello, that's all i want to say, hello, my friend' chorus, a delicately beautiful track 'Be Thou By My Side', a more rocky number, 'Big Ship', and a couple of daft songs 'Like Me Like You Used to Do' & 'In The End Is My Beginning.'
All in all, a very pleasing collection of melodic,gentle,memorable songs from a band who refused to follow changing trends, and stuck to a sound they made their own.
I hope this review will encourage more people to check them out,
and maybe the band will make many new fans posthumously, and become cult baroque pop favourites like The Left Banke. Here's hoping.....

5.0 out of 5 stars One hit wonder from the sixties, 3 Jun 2003
(No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: She Flies Like A Bird: The Anthology (Audio CD)
The exquisite I can’t let Maggie go, a top ten UK hit in 1968, is all that anybody ever remembers Honeybus for. They were true one-hit wonders, as nothing else so much as grazed the charts. What surprised me was that somebody found enough material to fill two CD’s.
The first CD contain the A and B-sides of seven singles plus all the tracks from their only album, Story. The second CD is made up of previously unreleased demos, some BBC sessions and tracks recorded for a 1973 reunion album that was aborted before it was complete, plus both sides of an Italian single.
Their first two singles were unsuccessful. Following the success of the third single, I can’t let Maggie go, the group was required by its record company to do some touring. Lead singer and songwriter didn’t want to do this and quit the group. Had he stayed, it is likely that Honeybus would have had further hits. Ray Cane and Colin Hare took over songwriting duties, each contributing interesting songs – they did not write together. Jim Kelly joined the group to become lead singer.
The cover versions that characterise so many albums of the sixties are conspicuously absent from their studio recordings, but the BBC sessions include a cover of Like an old time movie, a minor hit for Scott Mackenzie, whose big hit was San Francisco (Be sure to wear flowers in your hair).
This is an interesting anthology of a group that should have achieved more than they did, but pop and rock history is full of what might have been. If you only want I can’t let Maggie go, it is available on any number of UK various artists sixties compilations, but if, like me, you are curious, you will find this to be an interesting collection, especially the first CD.

4.0 out of 5 stars Baroque 'n' roll stars, 17 Nov 2002
This review is from: She Flies Like A Bird: The Anthology (Audio CD)
Aficionados of British 60's pop should already be familiar with Honeybus' output. Between 1967 and 1970 they cut six singles and an album which nodded to The Beatles, The Hollies, The Lovin' Spoonful, The Byrds and The Moody Blues and topped them off with ornate string and woodwind arrangements.
They possessed no less than three hugely talented songwriters and when Pete Dello, the writer of their classic early singles, left the band at the height of their fame, they got back on their feet and carried on without him.
This wonderfully packaged and annotated anthology contains all those Deram cuts plus previously unreleased BBC sessions, a rare Italian single, early 70's single sides, a selection from the unreleased 1972 album Recital and some demos previously only available on a long out-of-print Dutch CD.
Now we can hope for similarly expanded editions of the Pete Dello & Friends and Colin Hare albums.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Music, 12 May 2005
R. Spencer "Rob" (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: She Flies Like A Bird: The Anthology (Audio CD)
While i wouldn't never claim Honeybus were the greatest band in music history, you can't go wrong with songs like "Delighted to see you", "I Can't Let Maggie Go", "Big Ship", "How Long", "She Sold Blackpool Rock", "Story", etc, etc.
It was courtsesy of their Third single in 1968 , "I Can't Let Maggie Go", that this band saw stardom. However, the lead singer & main songwriter, Pete Delo, quit the group while it was high in the charts. The group never had another single chart in the UK top 30, but "She sold Blackpool Rock" was a minor hit in 1969*.
The group finally called it a day in 1973. This album conatins almost everything they recorded.
The interview with Pete Dello (included here) is very interesting, as are the liner notes which contain a biography on the band's career, photos and some press articles.
(*Note: There was more than one company issuing charts in the UK during the 1960s, while "She Sold Blackpool Rock" was a hit in some of the charts, it wasn't in the one they now use to complile most chart books, hence it won't appear in them).
I give this album 4 stars out of Five.

2.0 out of 5 stars Stay off!, 11 Jun 2003
Even Johan Ottersland "Even" (Oslo, Norway) - See all my reviews
This review is from: She Flies Like A Bird: The Anthology (Audio CD)
I bought this record based on what I read on this page, and I have to say I'm quite dissapointed. This may be something for the 60s completist, but nothing for the avarage musiclover. Honeybus is a weak copy of the other bands of their time. The lyrics are stupid, the vocals are slick, and the production also. Ironically the rarieties on CD2 are much better. The BBC-sessions are superior to the original song versions. And some of the deleted material is also very good. Maybe if they had just stuck to it, they would have amounted to something.

She Flies Like A Bird: The Anthology
She Flies Like A Bird: The Anthology by Honeybus (Audio CD - 2002)