5.0 out of 5 stars Rock music as it should be!
Published on 12 May 2002

3.0 out of 5 stars Surrey emo hype machine
So the time has come, it's the LP release and Hundred Reasons want to stand up and be counted. Singles "If I Could" "I'll Find You" and most recently "Silver" have been embraced by the higher end of the charts and propelled Colin Doran and his band out of the toilet circuit and into the big leagues.
Does the record actually live up to the hype heaped upon the...
Published on 10 July 2002 by Steps

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Rock music as it should be!, 12 May 2002
This review is from: Ideas Above Our Station (Audio CD)
In the middle of the sludge of nu-metal tthat surrounds us at the moment this by-rights stratospheric album shines. This is one great hope for British music, let alone the international rock scene. With riffage on songs like Silver and I'll find you of ear splitting quality, but change to the Falter ballad and you will be stunned by the sheer beauty of this epic.If you have to won 1 rock album buy this one-it epitamises everything that is good music without a hint of the usual arrogance of other greats.
An unbeatable emo-rock record.Without this album your collection is incomplete!

5.0 out of 5 stars One Hundred Good Reasons to buy this record!, 18 July 2002
Mr. M. L. Hawes "Mitchmusic" - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Ideas Above Our Station (Audio CD)
Well not quite a hundred, but each track on this debut release should count as a reason in itself.
As standard bearers for the British emo movement of rock bands, Hundred Reasons have unleashed one of the finest British rock albums in years. Full of driving rhythms and strong melodies, this lot provoke a thoughtful mood as well as one of sheer exhilaration through a need to jump around the place, playing your air guitar for fun.
With a three killer singles in 'I'll Find You', If I Could' and the brilliant 'Silver', Hundred Reasons have delivered an equally impressive album which stands shoulder to shoulder with anything the US has sent us recently.
Hundred Reasons have an appeal which should stretch from fans of The Strokes, BRMC and The Hives to those who enjoy the melodic rock of Nickleback, Puddle Of Mudd and The Calling.
The best news of all, is Hundred Reasons have delivered an album superior to any of the aformentioned bands recent releases!

5.0 out of 5 stars Surrey Rock Storm, 30 July 2004
William Warren (Gringley-on-the-Hill, South Yorkshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ideas Above Our Station (Audio CD)
What an album!! From the storming I'll Find You opener to the beautiful Avalanche HR give a performance that combines power, energy, sensitivity and sheer genius. Musically it's not that similar to ATDI, although the energy's the same, its rather in a genre aside. This is one of my favourite albums ever-you can listen to this album all the time and never get bored.
Musically its top notch too. The interplay on guitar between Larry Hibbit and Paul Townsend is superb, and solid beats are provided by Andy Bews on drums. Buy this now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brit rock hopefuls come good., 13 Mar 2003
A. Gasson "Adam" (South West, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ideas Above Our Station (Audio CD)
Its been a while since we've had a nice bit of hype for small band. Problem is whenever a band is due to release their debut and they're hyped up they usually end up flat on their faces, rueing the day they entered the studio.
Not here. Having already released the best songs of the album on EP (sorry couldn't resist a small dig), I was beginning to get sceptical as to whether HR could pull it off. But they have. The familiar crunching guitar riffs are there along with the growling vocals we've come to love.
I was going to write about how their live performances are outstanding (and by God I just have), but that shouldn't be taken into consideration when buying this album.
For once a Brit band that promises much, and actually delivers.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a fantastic rock album...finally, 21 May 2002
This review is from: Ideas Above Our Station (Audio CD)
i wish people would stop throwing around such phrases as "emo" and "hardcore". It's a rock album, straight up, and finally. I have to admit I am a big fan of the deftones, lost prophets, ill nino and other harder 'nu metal' bands. But I love rock music (foo fighters, hundred reasons etc) and for me this is the first stright up rock album that has come out in ages with no alterations to it whatsoever, such as muse, who r good but sing high and add wierd affects. The guitars are distorted and clean, nothing else. It's a raw album and it's brilliant. I'm gonna start by talking about the last track. it's a just a guitar and vocal and it's beatiful. The harmonies in the chorus, oh just listen to it. All the singles are great. Track 3 is amazing. Track 11 is like shouty then beatiful singing again. Honestly u want a rock album? u want this!! it's brilliant

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality album ... 'nuff said, 24 May 2002
This review is from: Ideas Above Our Station (Audio CD)
Well, this release from Hundred Reasons was eagerly anticipated and had a lot of high expectations on it. But boy did it meet them. It includes the crowd favourites 'Silver', 'If I Could' and 'I'll Find You', along with the other fast energetic tracks; such as 'Shine', 'Drowning' and the heavier 'Gone Too Far'. At the other end of the stick you have a couple of more mellower, emo style tracks in the likes of 'Avalanche' and 'Falter'.
All in all, this is a must buy, especially as this band have gotten this far through sheer hard work. None of this silly American nu metal "lets jump on a bandwagon" stuff, Hundred Reasons have stayed true to their roots and are now holding the British rock flag high.
Oh, and they weren't bad live, either ...

4.0 out of 5 stars Brits can rock !, 5 Feb 2006
This review is from: Ideas Above Our Station (Audio CD)
I've not felt the urge to write a review before but after listening to this album I am gutted for the band that they are not as big as they deserve to be. If you are considering buying this album do yourself a favour and buy it now ! It's difficult to categorise their music as it has such a wide range of styles from the heavy tunes such as "What thought did" and "Gone too far" to the softer ballad (if you can call it that) of the single "Falter". Tracks 5 and 10 are the tracks you will most likely have heard before as they received heavy radio play when released and deservedly so. I can't stand U.S nu-metal and pop - punk and while this album has been put into this bracket by critics, it has a sound of its own - I guess because it's British. I have only just got into this band and I regret not giving them a chance when they first came on the scene. With a record label dispute behind them and a third album out in March 2006 maybe HR will get the credit they deserve. I hope they do.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 20 Aug 2002
This review is from: Ideas Above Our Station (Audio CD)
For a beginner to this type of music, do not be put off by your first experience of the album, listen to it a second time and you will begin to pick out your fav tracks (no. 6) after a third listen you will be excited to get home and listen to the album. Admittedly after the 100th time of listening to the album continually on repeat i did begin to get a little tired, but that was last night and now i can't wait to get back and listen to it again!

5.0 out of 5 stars An awesome debut., 6 July 2002
This review is from: Ideas Above Our Station (Audio CD)
I've been into Hundred Reasons for just over a year now, and have been waiting eagerly (and very patiently) for this album. The quintet have not disappointed me in the slightest. The amount of passion and genuine emotion in these 12 songs is quite breathtaking, and each works perfectly with Dave Sardy's excellent production job. It's amazing how Hundred Reasons can put a song as touching as "Falter" and one as chaotic as "Gone Too Far" on the same album and not make either sound out of place. But looking at the album as a whole, there isn't a single track that can be described as a 'filler', not even the guitar/vocals-only final track "Avalanche" - in fact, they couldn't have chosen a more perfect way to end the album. With the current state of the UK rock scene Hundrded Reasons shine like a diamond...

5.0 out of 5 stars The clichés are all true! This is the best thing in years., 14 May 2002
This review is from: Ideas Above Our Station (Audio CD)
Building up cult status with three EPs Hundred Reasons are about to deservedly break through with their dubut release "Ideas above our station". The singles 'If I Could' and 'Silver' show just how much H*R can rock, whilst 'Falter' displays other talents. Other songs like Answers, Dissolve and Oratorio prove there is more to the band than Colin's hair.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Ideas Above Our Station
Ideas Above Our Station by Hundred Reasons (Audio CD - 2002)