Format: DVD|Change

on 18 August 2004
I am Sam is a film which follows the story of a man with the mental age of a seven year old, as he attempts to regain custody of his own seven year old daughter. This film is beautifully crafted and where sentimental could have become mushy Sean Penn ,Dakota Fanning and the rest of a brilliant cast stop this happening. I think that Sean Penns' portrayal of Sam far outshines similar performances such as Dustin Hoffman in rain man. All in all this is a highly entertaining and enjoyable film , well worth a viewing with an excellent cast.
on 8 May 2007
A friend lent me this film and I had to admit, I'd never heard of it and wasn't sure what to expect. I laughed and cried my way through the film. I cannot begin to put into words the fabulous performance of Sean Penn playing an Autistic father with the mental age of 7, you totally believe in him and he should have won an oscar for his portrayal. A brilliant film from the opening credits to the end, a must for anyone's DVD collection!!
on 13 January 2007
Having watched this movie and trying to be as objective as possible, I can say that this movie is somewhat special. It is one of these movies that many people are not aware of, and one that does not add anything unique to the film genre. Nonetheless, it is a clear star. Although ,all of its aspects (scenario, acting, direction) are laudable, what I liked most about this movie is the fact that stereotypes in the scenario are avoided. In fact, all of the characters were developed to such an extent - and portrayed in so profound a way- that the dichotomy between good and bad was transcended (a good person and a bad person fighting in court). Usually movies with a scenario that involves austere social workers, the State, foster parents, and well-paid lawyers paint them with a dark colors, while people with special needs are always the opposite. Here things are different and this vortex of stereotypes is adroitly avoided.

All in all, a nice, bitter-sweet movie with moments of both sadness and happiness, as well as some quite humorous lines. In the beginning I was quite reluctant to watch this movie myself, but now I suggest it without any second thought to literally anyone with a DVD player. thanks Irene!
on 17 November 2003
As an ex-social worker and now a Children's Guardian I could not remain unmoved by this movie. It once again points out the power of true and unconditional parental love and how having a learning dissibility does not neccessary disqualify you for being a good parent. It force everybody to look at themselves before casting judgment on somebody else and I urge all social workers to watch this and take into account some of the lessons in this movie before making life altering decisions for children. Also a good movie for children's solicitors.
on 7 January 2006
I thought that there would be at least one boring scene in every film ever made, until I saw I Am Sam. I struggled to be bored, that was the only thing that I found difficult about this film.
I would definately say that this is the type of film that you either love or hate which also manipulates the mind and tugs on the heart strings. Sean Penn provides an utterly convincing performance as a mentally disabled father alongside Michelle Pfeiffer who potrays the cold-hearted lawyer who is trying to help him to get custody of his seven year-old daughter, Lucy. But the best thing about this film is definately the superb performance from tiny Dakota Fanning. The natural, young talent plays a sweet and intellegent little girl who absolutely adores her father, despite his disabilities.
There are also other unforgettable characters included which will make you laugh and as the relationship between the father and the lawyer nurtures, you begin to see the parallels between their lives.
Overall this is a great, entertaining film, and as usual, Fanning leaves a sugar-lump in the throat.
RENT IT AND YOU'LL ONLY WANT TO BUY IT!!!
on 6 April 2005
I saw 'I Am Sam' while I was in the States. But let me just tell you something about myself first. I'm 22, male and have had no experiences like those shown in the this film; and yet somehow I had to stiffle my tears, throughout! There is no discerning moment in this film that breaks your heart. Penn's performance does that quite easily from the outset. Watch it. You won't regret it! (The only justifiable reason not to buy this is if you consider yourself heartless).
on 26 November 2002
This is such a great film.It has just about everything you could want in a film.Superb acting,great story.You will end up with tears of happiness.I saw this in the cinema,rented the video and bought the DVD. Sublime....
on 28 February 2008
I watched this film and again was impressed with Sean Penn who just gets better like a wine growing with age, and you can see why Dakota Fanning is being used in many films for the child's part. But looking through the deleted scenes, there was the lift scene where Penn was just like a young child, enthralled by the people like ants below and Pfieffer looking sicker at every description of the height they were at! This surely was an important scene as it emphasised childlike ways and explained why they suddenly stopped using the lift. I thought this was one of those great scenes that should have been in a film and ended up making the film (slightly) poorer by its exclusion
on 30 March 2006
this film is one of the best i have ever seen, sean penn and dakota fanning are excellent, i cried so many times, but it is also funny in parts. the story is about a man with a mental age of 7 who brings up his daughter alone, when the daughter reaches his mental age she doesnt want to learn anymore for fear of being smarter than her dad. she gets teased by her friends so pretends she was adopted to avoid ridicule. it goes on to a fight for custody after she gets placed with a foster family who want to adopt her. i wont tell you anymore because it will spoil the film, but i highly recommend this film to anyone.
on 30 January 2003
I am Sam is a very moving film that will make you laugh and make you cry. It shows the good in people and shows people that their is a person behind the disability with a personality and feelings just like any other person on the street. Sam has Autistic tendencies and brings up his daughter just like any other parent would. I used to work with children with disabilities and found this film an excellent portrayal of the confusion that any autistic person feels within todays society.