VINE VOICEon 25 June 2002
Yes, the 1960s were golden years for British Television, and one series which had a huge following was The Avengers. Thanks to the wonders of moder technology, these episodes can now be enjoyed by die hard Avenger fans like myself, and a new generation can see what British telly had to offer in those days. This edition however, is a bit of a mixed bag. A couple of episodes are a little slow and talky perhaps, others are a homage to science-fiction telly of the 50s and 60s. Shades of Quatermass in Man-Eater of Surrey Green. Still, die hard avenger fans will enjoy this and I have no doubt, will bring back memories of those years. For a DVD, sound and picture are quite good. However, the only complaintis that it lacks extras such as cast interviews, amd perhaps The Making off which we seem to get quite a lot on DVDs these days. Shame really.
on 30 November 2002
First the praise:
Difficult to find words sufficient to praise these evergreen episodes. And the bonus is that I enjoy them even more now than I did then. When I was younger, so much younger than today, I was so besotted by Diana Rigg (and Honor Blackman) I didn't realise what a fine actor Patrick Macnee was. The ease with which the both actors bounced their lines off each other belied the fact that Rigg was parachuted into the series at the last minute after Macnee had already been working with another actress in the Emma Peel role.
Now for the gripes:
First. The quality of the packaging has slipped. The 1967 slipcases for the dvds were good sturdy chaps with a strong design. The 1965-66 series slipcases are flimsy Also, the cover designs are lacklustre (check out the American sets on Amazon.com).
Second. We've been had again. While you're checking out the designs on Amazon.com, check also the contents of the dvds. The UK editions for the 1967 series had extras, but the 1965-66 don't - but the US editions have production stills!
Third. I'd really love to know why this very-British series, like evrything else, comes out in America months before they do over here - they even have a box set of the complete series!
OK, I've had my say. The series still gets 5 stars. Now go buy!
on 29 August 2011
As these films are collectors items - please could the sellers kindly list the titles of the different series in the features - just as you would list tracks on CDs then please list the different titles - so I know which to buy and which I have already covered - with all the avengers boxed sets please...
thanks