1 Review

5.0 out of 5 stars Under-appreciated gem, 9 Mar 2013
Saloon were an indie group from Reading who were active in the first half of the 2000s, producing a couple of albums and a later compilation. I dare say not many people have heard of them nowadays (I certainly hadn't until very recently), but apparently they enjoyed some critical success at the time. The group were championed by the BBC's John Peel, and this debut album was included in the Sunday Times Top 10 albums of the year in 2002.

Personally I found out about them through the site allmusic.com, which is a great way to discover bands who sound similar to ones you already like. To cut a long story short, Saloon sound a lot like Stereolab. If you like Stereolab then you will probably love Saloon. I certainly do.

Saloon take their cue from the pulsing electronic Krautrock of early Stereolab. The songs have a melancholic edge to them that is perhaps more reminiscent of Broadcast than Stereolab - the result of singer Amanda Gomez's lovely, languid, lullaby voice.

This formula has only grown on me the more I listen. I find myself putting Saloon on the CD player a lot. I think it's a crying shame that they didn't last longer and that so few people seem to be familar with them today.

(This Is) What We Call Progress
(This Is) What We Call Progress by Saloon (Audio CD - 2002)