Price:£38.86+ Free shipping

on 27 September 2005
A game that is simplicity itself to learn, but which calls for clever strategy and constant adaptation on behalf of the players. The objective is simple - the first player to push a total of 6 of your opponent's markers (black or white balls) off the board into the gutter wins. The game works on the principle of strength in numbers - 3 can push 2, 2 can push 1, 1 cannot push anything. The maximum number of balls a player can push at any time is 3. Everytime a move is made and balls are sent clicking into another position, the pattern on the board changes and with it the balance of power. Planning ahead is often impossible because of this. The playing board itself is hexagonal, hence each move can be made in 6 different directions, further increasing the level of complicated play. Black always starts first.
The pieces are of very high quality and would look good presented on a coffee or chess table. I have rated it 5 stars for durability because I've had this set for 5 years and it still looks pristine. Everyone I've played Abalone with has been very impressed and intrigued by it. Plus, it's great fun. Thoroughly recommended.
on 20 September 2015
It's a fun game, easy to pick up, hard to master - my star rating is more a reflection of the quality of the board and pieces.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 April 2013
I received it quickly, and it is exactly what was advertised. Though I have not played it as much as I would have liked, I have found it very interesting. Think of it as Pente in motion!