Format: Audio CD|Change

on 27 April 2003
It's hard to find faults with this album - if I had to then I'd say that at first a lot of the songs sound similar, but really, they're so beautiful, that that's not a bad thing. After I'd listened to them a few times then they all became unique. Just pop this CD in and listen to the wonderful gothic melodies; death metal vocals singing to a backdrop of angelic female vocals. Like Tristania? This is defiantely better that 'world of glass.' Like Sins of Thy Beloved? This is just as good as 'Lake of Sorrow' - if not better, because in places it is heavier, which is good when you really want to blast out the speakers.
Listen to the track 'Sister Nightfall' if you need your heart lifting, listen to the track 'Meridian' if you want to wallow in something dark and doom filled. Some of the instrumental parts reminded me of Cradle of Filth, but the singing is infinately better and there is no screaming black metal stuff. You can actually understand the words....good stuff.
For best results put on the headphones, turn up the volume and close your eyes.
on 8 September 2007
Don't be fooled by the photo of the woman on the front cover - this is mostly death metal vocals with occasional female interludes. Don't buy this thinking you're going to get something like Leaves' Eyes or Within Temptation - it's a couple of notches further down the scale towards gritty death metal, which is great if that's what you like.
As I said, don't be fooled by the cover - think of it as a woman who's being drowned rather than the sign of a genuinely female-fronted band.
That said, once you get accustomed to the 'deathliness' and the female vocals kick in on Sister Nightfall, it starts to sound not so bad - even pretty good: slightly reminiscent of The Sisters of Mercy (maybe SoM were these guys' grandparents ?!?!!??).
I give it 4 stars because it definitely grows on you - just turn the volume down for the death lyrics and a good listening experience is assured. There are even violins in places....
Overall, I recommend this album.
I would agree with the reviewer who rated this band above Tristania - Tristania manage to combine truly naff death metal and naff female lyrics and you also can't tell what's being sung. For anybody who hasn't bought Tristania 'World Of Glass', you aren't missing anything!
on 28 June 2008
Well, having come to this album through softer metal(Leaves Eyes, Xandria, etc.), it took some getting used to the heaviness and intensity. I had bought Nine Destinies and a Downfall and enjoyed it enough to want to hear more Sirenia. The cover of At Sixes and Sevens looked interesting. However, the review by M. Thomas made me apprehensive at first, then curious. So I bought it. And listened. And listened. It has really grown on me and I have come to actually like the very death metal aspects of the album I was wary of at first. By now I've bought all the Sirenia I've seen and can't wait for the next album already being made...
on 3 September 2008
I tend to go through phases where a certain style of metal catches my eye (ear?) and I will spend the next few weeks looking for other examples of the style. This was the album that reignited my passion for gothic metal.

If you're familiar with the "Beauty and the Beast" style of music (angelic female vocals combined with agressive, growling male vocals) you'll have an idea of what to expect. However, that to me doesn't do this album the justice it deserves.

On the female vocal side, they are always beautiful and at times contain an ethereal, otherworldy quality particularly on "Manic Aeon" where the vocals bring to mind "Curve" at their most mellow. On the male vocal side, there are plenty of growling moments (although they never outstay their welcome) but this is combined with "clean" vocal and whispered passages. I think that this is the best combination of male and female vocals that I've heard in this style of music and it keeps every track fresh and interesting. With the excellent variety in the music as well, it's a real treat to listen to.

After complimenting the gothic feel so much, it is interesting to know that one of my favourite tracks is the last one "In Sumerian Haze" which is the only song where the female vocals are always at the fore. It is a haunting and emotional song which really hits the mark. A testament to the quality of this song is that it doesn't feel like the token slow song... It really fits in with the album as a whole and rounds off an excellent listening experience.

Favourite tracks are the driving "Sister Nightfall", the catchy "In a Manica" and of course the stunning "In Sumerian Haze".
on 31 May 2012
Being slightly unsure of how much I would like this CD, I eventually decided to purchase it.
Now I cannot stop listening to it.
The songs and lyrics (suprisingly) are brilliant and I think that the metal style and in places 'Carmina Burana'-like style works very well.
Would highly recomend!