5.0 out of 5 stars Lauryn Hill MTV Unplugged
This is one of my favourite albums. Lauryn Hill's vocals, lyrics and acoustic guitar accompaniment are stunning. I don't usually enjoy live recordings but this is all the better for it. A fluid, awe-inspiring collection of songs, brilliant!
Published on 31 May 2010 by Ms. Z. J. F. Foster-brown

1.0 out of 5 stars Arrived with problems
Cd arrived well packed but wouldn't play on a laptop/PC/Mac. Printed on the cd it clearly stated this but nowhere in the seller description.

Disappointed as it was an intented gift this Christmas
Published 7 months ago by CrisG

2.0 out of 5 stars a lot of talking..., 11 May 2002
This review is from: MTV Unplugged 2.0 (Audio CD)
A very strange record this is. Lauryn Hill sings her songs in a demo format, and talks a lot. It is a very demanding experience. And after listening to it for more then three times, you really want to hear ONLY the songs, if at all.
Hill says it's her reaction to fame, but what this really sums up to is a bunch of songs (some great, some so-so) that have potential and might become big hits for others, after they put them through a studio and a producer works on them.
Sorry. A big pretentious disappointment.

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't expect as good as "the miseducation", 27 May 2002
This review is from: MTV Unplugged 2.0 (Audio CD)
When I heard about this new cd, I got excited, "the miseducation..." was such a great album that I bought MTV unplugged without thinking twice...maybe I should have!
She actually talks a lot between songs which is quite annoying after a while,and her voice for this live was not as good as I expected, and the tracks get repetitive and don't have the punch of the previous album.
Overall:pass your way, save your money!

5.0 out of 5 stars Dynamic !!!, 28 Sep 2005
Paul Martin (Princes Risborough, Bucks United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: MTV Unplugged 2.0 (Audio CD)
If you want to push your system to the limit and prove the dynamics get this album and listen to Mr Intentional at a raised volume, the mastering on this album is so superb it is in the Bob Ludwig league, this combined with the delivery of the lyrics from Lauryn. You will not be dissapointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars life changing,spritual makeover!!, 28 April 2005
This review is from: MTV Unplugged 2.0 (Audio CD)
I bought this CD the month it was released and I still listen to it.
This woman has exceptional talent. As I listened to her, I cried ,I laughed, I yearned for more after every track.
Note- only an individual who is thoughtful and deep can get this.
This is not your average music that makes no sense.
she made me think ,evaluate my life and make decisions.
This album changed my life. like she said " I get out,I get out of these boxes... knowing my condition is the reason I must live...fantasy is what we want but reality is what we need" free your mind ..free your mind!!!
I think people knock this album because reality is a concept that can scare one.
So what if she is a normal ,hormonal,not-air-brushed, bad hair(with a non studio manufactured voice) woman?
The brilliance in this album is the raw emotion which was laid out there bare.
Passion is a concept grasped by a few, ignored by many.

5.0 out of 5 stars [] MTV Unplugged 2.0, 8 Nov 2006
This review is from: MTV Unplugged 2.0 (Audio CD)
Soulful rhythms. Soulful voice. Deep & meaningful lyrics. Excellant interludes...

This is quite frankly the best MTV Unplugged ever and the album shows Lauryn Hill at her best by producing catchy tunes and each song is sung in such a soulful way!

Excellant!... get it and you'll see!

5.0 out of 5 stars RAW!!!, 18 Jan 2005
This review is from: MTV Unplugged 2.0 (Audio CD)
I found this album to be an open and honest exploration of Lauryn's process at this time. The work was raw, rough and beautifully unpolished. As she said on the album, she didn't even get dressed up for the performance. It's as though she wanted us all to share in her psychological and spiritual journey, all the while reminding herself and ourselves of the pressures in life which attempt to keep us all enslaved and asleep. Personally I feel that 'breaking down' psychologically, could be seen as an invitation for 'breaking through'. Lauren seems to be seeking her own truth in a profession where personal growth is sadly seldom evident in the work. This album was never intended for the masses, thank-god.
I am also a huge fan of 'Tracy Chapman' and 'Me'shell NdegeOcello' and if you like this album check these artists out too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 6 Dec 2004
This review is from: MTV Unplugged 2.0 (Audio CD)
This is a truly inspirational album. Not only the songs but the interludes are also great. In a nutshell they consist of Laurens opinion on life and how people live - not in a judgemental way. She is trying to share some of the things she has discovered about life. Although you may not agree with everything she says, she does talk sense throughout (even though cryptic sometimes). I have found myself quoting Lauren on a number of occasions since listening to the album. I love it. Definitely one for the collection.

1.0 out of 5 stars the LOOONG and WINDED road, 23 Aug 2003
J. christian (brooklyn, ny United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: MTV Unplugged 2.0 (Audio CD)
The saddest fall from grace since Dylan's "Self Portrait". Seemingly unrehearsed, off key, incoherent mumblings about stardom, religious platitudes, Bossa Nova, Reggae, Pop, R&B and a whole lotta talkin', it's just Hill and her acoustic guitar - for 2 interminable CD's. Ya can't fault a girl her convictions and passion, but that affectivity gets buried from the longwinded chunter to the point of exhaustion. She seems less than the whole of her talent and ability. Her debut solo CD was a revelation...and while I do not want to fall into the trappings of comparison, there has to be some sort of cohesion, some thread. There should be more self-respect to her craft than whining at her version of the wailing wall and releasing it to an unsuspecting fan base. If it's so dreadful being famous, then stop being famous. Oh, wait. Mission accomplished.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beauty Bottled, 7 May 2002
This review is from: MTV Unplugged 2.0 (Audio CD)
undescribable. There are really no words that could possibly describe why you should buy this album. An amazing talent, Lauryn introduces herself for the first time, and you sit back and see what is a classic album, every song fits beautifully with the last. This is not a radio friendly song and it certainly isn't mindless, what it is, is powerful and awe inspiring. The best written lyrics ever, combined with the reality of a live performance. And that is what this album truly is. Real.

1.0 out of 5 stars Ruffhouse? Well, it was a poor show Lauryn!, 13 Nov 2007
Mr. S. O'kane "snagii" (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: MTV Unplugged 2.0 (Audio CD)
Hold on a minute...are some of my fellow reviewers here mad or deaf? "Brilliant", "Inspiring", "RAW!"?? Oh do come on! This to has to be one of the worst albums I have had the misfortune to hear in the last 5 years. And I didn't stumble upon it by accident - it was playing in a Naples cafe which was the choice of our friends when we met them there on our holidays. If we'd made the choice and this came on, we'd have left. Very quickly.

True, "Miseducation.." was a masterpiece and hinted at a prodigiuous talent that would be worth watching from then onwards. But the tuneless, rambling dirges & speeches here suggest either a bad night, "something else" (for which I cannot even hint at for libel reasons) or that glorious debut was really a great piece of luck by Ms Hill that she hasn't been able to repeat in any shape or form since. Either way, shame on Columbia, MTV and Lauryn's management for even considering this worthy for release. It is excruciatingly bad. No really, it is.

Oh and "chiku2", you don't need to post your review twice to buck up the bad ones elsewhere. Check online and you'll find very few fans or casual listeners "love" this album.

MTV Unplugged 2.0
MTV Unplugged 2.0 by Lauryn Hill (Audio CD - 2004)