5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best adventures I've seen
Published on 25 Sept. 2008 by Ms. N. Devadoss

1.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful series, terrible release!
I love this show, and was really excited to get it on DVD, even if it was a netherlands release.

I must say how sorry I feel for the Dutch if this is the usual quality of DVD release they get! The disc was damaged in some way, when you look at it the shiny side has these weird patches on it, which makes it skip and jump around once you get a certain way in. We...
Published 21 months ago by V. Hammond

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best adventures I've seen, 25 Sept. 2008
Ms. N. Devadoss (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The 10th Kingdom (DVD)
This is a series I first watched aged 15 on Sky 1 and I fell in love with the characters, dialogue and scenery immediately. Since then I've bought this box set and watched it five different times with five different friends and it hasn't failed to enchant any of them (or their boyfriends, who grumble at first but then ASK for it to be put on as the story unfolds more).

It follows Virginia, a young but cynical and disillusioned early-twenties woman. Her dad is a waste of space and quite thick although he means well. And the Wolf. Oooh the wolf. He's a wild-hearted villain at the start but his attraction to Virginia leads him to try and control his nature. The way the characters strengthen each other and bond as they're pushed to their limits is heartbreakingly endearing and the quirky scenery, extras and side plots are extremely funny and well integrated into the story. Anybody who loves fairy tales will be amused by the twists given by them here (there's a frog with the tradition riddle of 'there are two doors, this one will lead to death, but sometimes I lie' riddle solved in a far more contemporary way. The way Wolf treats Virginia's grandma is one of my favourite TV moments EVER).

All in all it has the makings of a timeless classic. There's nobody I've met over a range of ages and occupations who's watched it and disliked it. I know I'll happily be watching it another twenty times or so.

5.0 out of 5 stars The First DVD I Ever Bought...And Still A Firm Favourite, 26 Nov. 2008
Laura smith "lilly36" (Falkirk, Scotland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
When my husband, then boyfriend, bought me my first DVD player many years ago now this was the first DVD I bought to watch on the player. I had heard about The Tenth Kingdom but missed the series on Sky when it was televised so I'd read the book instead and couldn't wait to see the show.

We sat down as a family to watch this, our stepson was around 10 or 11 at the time and we all were swept away by the story, scenery and acting in The Tenth Kingdom. It is very witty, well written and we couldn't wait to watch it together each evening. Now if we are looking for something to watch together we still consider this one of our top choices many years later along with classic family films such as Harry Potter.

Now many years after I bought the show I have had 2 children, who are now aged 2 and 4 - a little young yet to watch the show but I cannot wait to sit down with them in a few years and watch as they become mesmerised by the world of The Tenth Kingdom. Only one confusion for me was it's certificate of 15, many family films released more recently have contained more scary content and been rated as PG or 12 so try not to let this put you off enjoying this as a family.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thankyou!, 19 May 2011
This review is from: The 10th Kingdom (DVD)
It came super fast. There was no problem at all with packing. Menu was in some other language, but soo simple to get the film on and take the subtitles off. FANTASTIC :)
Wasn't sure from past comments if the movie itself was going to be in English, very very happy when i discovered it was!
The 10th Kingdom is soo fantastically old school, i love it! Havent seen it for years & super happy that i now have all the series! xx

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing, 10 Aug. 2009
I watched this avidly when it was on tv, and it was wonderful! It was a series I forgot about, but came across again, and bought instantly! It's quirky, colourful and fun. It is a wonderful take on fairytales, incorporating the good and bad characters so closely (especially with wolf) and when the ending comes around, you'll not only hope it never ends, but the ending itself is extremely satisfying. In some cases, this style of ending wouldn't work, but here, it's perfect!

All the characters are well developed, the story is simple enough to follow. Well worth time and money!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five star series - One star Box Set, 14 Jun. 2011
This review is from: The 10th Kingdom (DVD)
Once upon a time, in far off Britain, otherwise known as the "6th Kingdom", a young woodsman entered the forest he called Amazon in search of the mythical, hidden gem known as the "Tenth Kingdom - Region One Box Set". Unable to locate his prize the young woodsman wandered deeper and deeper into the "Amazon" and came across a seller of goods. This seller claimed that in exchange for some magic beans (or money as he called them) he would provide the young woodsman with anything he so desired. "I'd like region 1 copy of the Tenth Kingdom Box set please, oh mighty purveyor of goods", said the young lad (obviously before he had had chance to consider some other options). "Done", said the seller, "now leave this place and wait at your cabin on the edge of the forest - the goods will be with your in 3 to 4 business days".
The woodsman waited eagerly and lo and behold the box set arrived as prophesised.
Meanwhile the seller hid nearby, chuckling silently as he heard the screams of dismay emanating from the cabin as the young woodsman eyed the Dutch menus, subtitles, and 4:3 orientation of his beloved hidden gem.
Swearing revenge, the woodsman left his cabin and entered the forest of Amazon again where he left this review before returning home to watch the box set anyway even though he had to zoom in to fill up the screen on his TV, and phone one of his Dutch friends to ask him which menu item turns off the subtitles.

There is no moral to this tale but unless you are Dutch, planning to impress someone who is Dutch, Going to Amsterdam and want a few tips on how to say "Suck an Elf" in Dutch, or own a 1974 Massey Ferguson 425 Band TV set then I wouldn't bother buying this copy of the Series.

The five stars is for the series - the Box set get's one (and that's because my Grandad wore clogs).

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fantasy story, 1 of a kind, 6 Nov. 2005
This review is from: 10th Kingdom [DVD] [1999] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC] (DVD)
I sat down with my family and began to watch the first episode, immediately I was lost into a fantasy world of fantasy. The actors are brilliant and the story is well thought of, I watched this when I was young and now im older and I still remember it.
The story is about a waitress who finds a dog who was once a prince and she, her father and a wolf go on an adventure to bring the prince back to his human form in time for his ceremony. Of course they get into lots of different adventures on the way and the story makes you feel as though you’re there with them
This is truly a wonderful long film and is great for kids and adults alike, if you’re thinking of buying it, buy it

5.0 out of 5 stars An Essentail Item, that you must have!, 18 Aug. 2005
By A Customer
The first time i saw The 10th Kingdom, i was a fan straight away, it was like being brought back to your child hood, with the magic and all the fairy tale stories, and yet it had an appeal to an older audience, i taped it off the tv, but when i get, my next pay check, i will buy not 1 but 2 as i have roped my family into enjoying it as well, the 10th Kingdom is an ESSENTAIL ITEM for your DVD collection. If you have bought it yet, what are you waiting for!

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic series but Dutch release has DVD authoring problems!, 13 April 2013
This review is from: The 10th Kingdom (DVD)
Finally! I was able to pick up this fantastic series at a reasonable price but there are problems that other fans should be aware of.

The Dutch release comes in a nice Digipak (gatefold cardboard) with three discs with very similar artwork. Discs one and two have about 2 hours and 45 minutes of the show with disc three having about an hour and a half (along with a 45 minute 'making of'), the video (which is in PAL) and audio (2.0) are very pleasant, the DVD looks great upscaled on a larger TV too.

The series is treated as one long feature film, disc one has the fantastic opening titles but no credits, disc two doesn't have any titles or credits and disc three has just the end credits. There are chapter marks and the screen does go blank where the original broadcast would have had commercial breaks but a lot of TV shows on DVD have these pauses. The menus themselves are quite crude and not as sophisticated as other DVD's but they serve their purpose.

The main problem and it's a big one is there are authoring errors on the discs. Disc one has one about 22 minutes in, the image stops for a few seconds then jumps ahead. Now depending on your player you may be able to play through this without the disc crashing or locking up your player. If you can't I'd recommend pausing the disc at 22 minutes and using your players GOTO function to jump ahead to 00:22:11 this should go passed the error. It is annoying but it's the only fault during the show itself. Disc two is error free as far as I can tell but disc three has another error but not during the show itself so it's possible it's during the 'making of'.

Other customers have mentioned the subtitles, unfortunately there are no English subtitles just Dutch ones and they are automatic, they cannot be turned off before the show starts (unless I missed a menu!) but they can be turned off during the show with your remote, just press the SUBTITLE button to remove them. It's quite simple.

The show itself is still fantastic with great characters, lots of silly humour and some of the best scenery in TV history. If the show ever makes it to Blu-ray it will be a treat for the eyeballs!

If you know anyone who loves Once Upon A Time or Mirror, Mirror and have never seen or heard of The 10th Kingdom then they will love this show (and you) Happily Ever After!

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing, 14 July 2009
This review is from: The 10th Kingdom (DVD)
I've watched this about 4 times and I can't simply stop loving it. If you're looking for a great fantasy adventure with a sprinkle of romance and a characters that'll make you fall in love, this is your movie!!

The only thing I pitty about this series is that there is no new adventure to sweep me off my feet again. I guess I'll keep relieving this one =P

5.0 out of 5 stars A truly grown up fairy tale, 30 Dec. 2010
AE Hunter (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The 10th Kingdom (DVD)
If you're attracted to the more gory parts of fairy tales and feel that many so called adult fairy tales leave you cold, as they are more suited for children, this could be the one for you.

Children could watch it, but they won't love it as much as you! Virginia and her father found themselves in the first of one of 9 kingdoms, the place where the real fairy tales were born. Of course, the decedents of the once great legends who lived in these places have made towns and buildings into monuments to them. There's a fantastic feeling of magic about it.

They're on a quest to help Prince Wendall, though they really just want to get back home finding frustration at every place they turn.

It's a fairytale, so of course, there's romance, with a well meaning wolf in the mix. The evil queen, a prodigy of the queen that killed snow white, turns out to have a great story behind her. It's just a superb story all around.

Told in 3 parts, it was so worth the money, as I had been one who waited with baited breath for the next installment when it came on Sky 1 years back.

I'm not sure this will ever make it onto blu ray which is a great shame, as it's my guessing from having mentioned this to many people, that not a lot of people watched it, if they re-released it, it would be so popular - I'd love it on blu ray.
Enjoy and let the magic take you somewhere beyond happily ever after!

10th Kingdom [DVD] [1999] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
10th Kingdom [DVD] [1999] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC] by Kimberly Williams-Paisley (DVD - 2002)
Used & New from: £3.27