on 12 February 2004
I have bought a few Pilates DVD's including Body Control and find this one much the best. The sequences flow well and there are three complete separate workouts for beginners, intermediates or advanced. Alternatively you can watch them all together with a different instructor performing each level allowing you to choose different levels for each exercise without breaking your flow. There is also an icon which can be pressed at any time for a more in-depth demonstration of any exercise. Good introduction and preparation exercises too. At almost 40yrs, my back pains have disappeared and my tummy is (nearly) flat! Thoroughly recommended!
0Comment|199 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 June 2007
I bought this DVD together with Suzanne Deason's "Yoga Conditioning for Weight Loss" DVD, but with no prior experience to Pilates. As much as I raved about the other DVD, I actually preferred this one in terms of seeing very rapid results if you follow the workout on a regular basis.

It is paced well, so I found I wasn't getting bored, or getting confused by the change in positions. I really liked the fact you can either watch the two modified versions of the exercises either alongside the original position or seperately - I found it easier to focus when I had the fully modified version on its own, yet the combined version allows you to see how each modified pose relates to the original.

The workout lasts for just under an hour, and if full effort is put in then you will indeed feel pleasantly knackered, but with lots of energy. The instructions are clear and precise, yet with a gentle and friendly manner. You are advised when to inhale and exhale, and how to avoid common mistakes such as overstraining your neck.

I'm still using this DVD at the fully modified version of the exercises, so cannot fairly comment on if this DVD is relevant for those who have experience of advanced Pilates. I thoroughly reccommend this DVD for beginners or intermediate levels though.

A great DVD which I cannot reccommend enough without sounding like I was payed to review it.
on 11 May 2006
good clear instructions with extra information if required. moves easy to follow, ideal product for newcomers to Pilates. Have yet to see the weight loss though.....
on 24 March 2006
This is a great pilates workout. It offers all levels, so beginners and advanced alike are catered for. It is a good hour long, so it is a complete workout, and works different areas of the body. The moves are referred to by their name, rather than with lengthy explanations, which for me (a more advanced pilates person), was great. Yet there is the option to pause and select an explanation for beginners too. The location is really nice, and Suzanne Deeson is not at all annoying in her instructions. Positions and movements are paced well to be effective and smooth in transition. Highly recommended.
on 7 March 2006
I am truly a fan of Gaiam. I have a few of the DVDs now and none of them have been a let down. I agree with everything the other reviewer has said. I tried Winsor Pilates before this and although very good and effective it really was very advanced and now that i have these to compare it to, not very well explained. The techniques are always perfected for the routines.
I really enjoy this DVD and find it effective. (The relaxation at the end it so good I stay in the pose right until the credits end! (My husband would stay in relaxation poses all weekend!)
on 1 March 2007
From the positive reviews from others I was expecting something better.
My problems with this DVD are as follows:
1. There is no information on the box or on the DVD to tell you how long the various exercise sessions are. This wouldn't matter if the sessions were short, but most are 45 minutes or more. I prefer to be able to plan how long I spend exercising and this DVD doesn't aid that.

2. The instruction sound track for the Difficult-Level also includes the instructions on how to do the the same exercise at the Lower-Level of intensity. This means there is a lot of talking to listen to. However much of it won't apply to you because you are only working at one of the Levels. All that talking is not restful.

3. The camera angles are not always suitable for showing what she is doing.

4. The names she uses on the sound track for the various Levels are not the same names as are used in the written menus on the DVD screens. This is very confusing.

A previous reviewer is right, it is a very calm DVD. It is almost too much so for my taste. There must be better DVDs out there.
on 24 October 2010
I have always wanted to try Pilates but didn't want to join a class. I took a chance with this DVD as there were no reviews for it and I was pleasantly surprised.

The music is a bit monotonous but the instruction is clear and you can select beginner workouts or those for the intermediate. You do need a bolster cushion for some of the exercises which I didn't realise but that's it equipment-wise. You are informed as to which muscles you want to be engaging and when. There is a gentle warm-up and cool-down (with the hammock position being very relaxing).

The girls make all the exercises look very easy but they're really not! Holding your legs in table-top whilst tapping with your toes on either side is hard work. I didn't think that I'd work up much of a sweat but I did. I can get through the whole DVD no problem and can really feel my core muscles afterwards. It definetly improves your posture and makes you more aware of yourself.

This is suitable for both the beginner and the intermediate as it caters well for both. The only negative is the music.
on 30 November 2013
I had the original DVD (pictured above) which unfortunately broke. The one sent me was a poor copy and does not have all the features of the original.
on 10 May 2011
My first try at pilates is with this dvd. You can watch it again and again and not get irritated which is really good. Although, it is slow paced which is good for beginners like myself but sometimes i found my self getting a bit sleepy!
The moves are well explained, Suzanne tells you when to breath and there are 3 different levels all doing the same routine at the same time. This is all completely mat work, and was great for my recovery from a fracture foot. I do prefer and recommend quick start pilates for weightloss with Ana Caban, if you fancy something similar but a lil more paced.
on 30 November 2013
This is the best pilates DVD I've seen, so far. Suzanne has obviously thought this through for EVERYONE - she shows possible poses for different individual levels, the scenes and music are very soothing and her instructions are so simple to follow.