5.0 out of 5 stars Side splitting humour in this follow up to a classic!!!
Published on 13 Feb. 2001 by Paul Daintree

3.0 out of 5 stars No moustaches
I watched the original Stakeout many times when I was 12 years old. I was 13 by the time the sequel hit the cinemas. I saw it at the now demolished UCI Cinema at Kinnaird Park in early 1994. The fact that it was a PG compared to the R-rated original didn't bother me (I wouldn't have been able to see it otherwise).

Chris and Bill are back, joined by...
Published on 29 May 2011 by Inspector Gadget

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars No moustaches, 29 May 2011
Inspector Gadget "Go Go Gadget Reviews" (On the trail of Doctor Claw) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)

Chris and Bill are back, joined by then-closested Rosie O'Donnell and her big dog. A mob witness may or may not visit old friends for protection on the beautiful Pacific-Northwestern Bainbridge Island. Our heroes are in the house opposite and their sit-and-wait chore is all the more difficult by their new third-wheel partner. The chemistry between Dreyfuss and Estevez is still perfect, and you really get the sense that these guys work together very well. Shame they don't have a lot to do.

The only big fault with Another Stakeout is that all of the action happens at the very beginning and very end, leaving a massive chunk in the middle for bumbling and low-brow amusement. It works, but it feels very underwhelming when compared to the original. For a belated, throw-away sequel it has a surprising amount of continuity with the first film, normally you don't get that. Stylistically however, this is completely different. Where Stakeout was dark, gritty, and rugged Another Stakeout is glossy with high-key anamorphic Panavision photography. Since the rating was lowered I guess it made sense to change the look of the film.

Another Stakeout languishes in a weird gray area. It's more than above average, but never really achieves any kind of greatness, and for that reason I have to rate it lower than the first.

Touchstone licensed the rights for the film to Mill Creek for release on Blu Ray and it's a big step-up from the DVD in terms of AV quality, this time presenting it in the correct 2.35:1 aspect ratio in lovely 1080p. The end credits claim the film was merely in 'Dolby Stereo in Selected Theatres' and the DTS HD-MA 2.0 soundtrack works just fine. There are no extras whatsoever, and the production design of the Blu Ray and the package is really quite poor. But what do you expect for a budget title? At least it doesn't come in a horrible eco-case.

5.0 out of 5 stars Side splitting humour in this follow up to a classic!!!, 13 Feb. 2001
Paul Daintree (North Shields, Tyne & Wear United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
First their was Dreyfuss and Estevez, in my opinion the most underrated comedy double act that have ever allowed us to watch them on the silver screen. The first movie to me was poetic humour, the two roles could not have been cast any wiser. How can you make this comic equation any greater I hear you cry?, enter stage left - Rosie O'Donnell, if the Queen of American stand up and comedy acting doesn't get your stomach hurting with laughter you must be crazy!. The three actors truly do bond together brilliantly in this action filled, comedy driven, rollercoaster of a movie. All I ask is that you trust me and add this film to your collection, if you don't stand up and applaud Dreyfuss' comedy genius at times, I shall eat my hard drive. O'Donnell is perfect and Estevez is a joy, need I say more. Badham we salute you on a superb follow up to a cult comedy classic, this fan is a happy man. Bravo!!

4.0 out of 5 stars fun cop buddy flick from the early 90's., 2 July 2012
Michael Dobey (colorado springs) - See all my reviews
Most of mill creeks blu rays are not the best print usually. Scratches and lines appear in many; the color in them looks bad often too. This one looks outstanding. It's as good as any catalog blu ray out there. The movie itself is a average buddy cop flick that isn't as good as the first one. But for once mill creek delivered a great blu ray. The sound is 2.0 stereo and that's what this was in the theaters I believe. Emilio Estevev was still riding high here. I can't imagine why his career falted after the midnities. He wasn't a problem drug abuser like his brother Charlie and he was dependable. Charlies movie career actually lasted alot a few years longer than Emilios did. It's a mystery to me but the man isn't even on made to dvd films or even a tv series. What a waste, he had alot of talent. Here, he and Richard Dreyfuss carry this average buddy flick quite well. It's a comedy drama type of thing, although hopefully they will release the much better first movie. Both of them however did quite well at the box office and Rosie O is even quite good in this one. I had to give this one four stars though because of the excellent movie print that mill creek used. For once you can watch one of their blu rays without any print damage at all.

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining sequel with new additions, 4 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Another Stakeout [DVD] [1993] (DVD)
At first seeing Rosie O'Donnell complete with dog as the added spice to Dreyfuss and Estevez was off putting. However as the film goes on, O'Donnell becomes likable and we don't see much of the dog- which chases a cat for most of the film. Another Stakeout is entertaining and very funny in places. Estevez and Dreyfuss had a great chemistry together and even though their moustaches have since gone (we do get a quarter of the film with Estevez's) the film still works.

The one worry is adding new additions and changing things around, but the film glady doesn't suffer from this, largely in the fact that original director John Badham is back on board.

A surprisingly good sequel.

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent sequel, 3 Aug. 2011
Mr. C. P. Lally (Wales UK) - See all my reviews
I was really pleased to find that this Blu Ray disc plays on region B machines as it's one of many I've been waiting for to be released on Blu Ray, so it was a great find.

Picture quality is really good defiantly a step up from the DVD version which for a budget title i was surprised at seeing. Yes this film isn't as good as the first but i still think it holds it's own as a decent sequel. Wasn't really bothered at there being no extras on the blu ray i can live with out them, I'm just hoping that the first film Stakeout comes out on Blu Ray soon because if it's anything like this for PQ we're in for a real treat.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not too bad, 20 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Another Stakeout [DVD] [1993] (DVD)
This movie is a big improvement on the first 'stakeout' which was terrible but still, I wouldn't recommend it as a 'good' film just an alright one with a bit of humour that made me laugh in two or three places. Was reasonably entertaining but nothing I would write home about.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Hit, 29 July 2011
This review is from: Another Stakeout [DVD] [1993] (DVD)
Loved this film and is a good follow-up to The Stakeout. Excellent plot and humour throughout, Archie the dog has some brilliant scenes. If you like romantic comedy with slapstick thrown in, this film is a must.

3.0 out of 5 stars Like many of the 80's and 90's films, 11 July 2014
This review is from: Another Stakeout [DVD] [1993] (DVD)
Certainly a step down from the first one, but worth a watch every few years. Like many of the 80's and 90's films, even the slightly lacklustre ones are still better than most of todays.

5.0 out of 5 stars so funny, 25 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Another Stakeout [DVD] [1993] (DVD)
great film and really well made would definitely recommend to a friend and postage was very sharp as well so really pleased ;) have not laughed so much in a long time

5.0 out of 5 stars Stakeout, 18 Jun. 2012
H. Wright "Sci-fi fan" (Oulton, Lowestoft, Suffolk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Another Stakeout [DVD] [1993] (DVD)
As funny as Stakeout and well worth watching. Can't wait for more of them if there are any others in the pipeline.
Please, please make more.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Another Stakeout [DVD] [1993]
Another Stakeout [DVD] [1993] by John Badham (DVD - 2002)