5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!
Published on 1 May 2002

3.0 out of 5 stars Good tales... spoiled by audience guffaws
I love Ivor Cutler, and his Scotch Sitting Room series is perhaps my favourite. Hence I bought this CD.

Being a live performance, there is of course an audience present, and unfortunately, they're the album's downfall.
Published on 16 Aug 2010 by Toxophilly

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 1 May 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Life In A Scotch Sitting-Room Vol. II (Audio CD)
Its hard to put into words how great this is. Ivor Cutler's surreal albums and books have been a part of my life for years and though most are hard to find, all are excellent and well worth picking up. This is my favourite and its great to see it back in print. It is a hilarious cd where Ivor tells us stories about his childhood in Scotland in his wonderful voice. The material is recorded live in Glasgow and it is all Ivor can do to prevent himself from laughing too. The scottish scenes are from his book of the same name (worth purchasing for the great Honeysett illustrations which also grace the cover of the cd). The jungle tips have me in stitches too.
If you like League of Gentlemen there is treat here not to be missed

3.0 out of 5 stars Good tales... spoiled by audience guffaws, 16 Aug 2010
This review is from: Life In A Scotch Sitting-Room Vol. II (Audio CD)

At his best, Cutler is both profound and hilarious, but for me here, the quiet, deliberate poignancy of his tales is ruined by the raucous guffawing of the gathered audience.
And it's not just that I don't like people laughing. In fact, one of the most charming elements of this recording is hearing Cutler himself cracking up as he tries to recite his own stories.
But the audience... they laugh too much, too loudly, and at the wrong parts! Whooping outrageously at an amusing, but fairly commonplace smutty reference, they then remain shufflingly quiet at the moments of true genius.

How I wish he'd recorded these softly, alone, accompanied only by his haunting harmonium!

5.0 out of 5 stars Ivor Cutler's dark and hilarious Scottish tales., 9 Jun 2006
Jazzrook (Purbrook , Hampshire) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Life In A Scotch Sitting-Room Vol. II (Audio CD)
John Peel and his Radio 1 show must take the credit for introducing me and countless others to the unique and wonderfully surreal world of poet, singer, songwriter and storyteller Ivor Cutler. It's taken me a long time to get round to hearing this album which is now one of my favourite Ivor Cutler records.

These dark and hilarious tales of a dour and repressed Scottish family must have had their roots in Ivor Cutler's Scottish/Jewish upbringing in the bleak environment of 1920/30s Glasgow.

Ivor Cutler was an uncompromising artist who once said that working as a schoolteacher "unlocked his creativity". He was an acknowledged influence on the Bonzos and Monty Python and this marvellous record should appeal to anyone who appreciates off-the-wall humour combined with a childlike wonder at the world.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a find, 10 Oct 2013
G. M. Simpson "garethsimpson" (Edinburgh, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Life In A Scotch Sitting-Room Vol. II (Audio CD)
It's hard to find the right words to describe Ivor Cutler. Genuinely unique; wry; clever; heart-warming without being sentimental; and above all hilarious. Listening to this for the first time I genuinely laughed out loud several times (which was somewhat dangerous since I was doing the ironing at the time), and I know that if I were to go and put it on now I would be laughing again.

The recoding is from live shows, and you can hear the audience laughing throughout; I found that this added to the enjoyment however - the laughter was clearly genuine, and it is in no way obtrusive - and Cutler is responding to his audience throguhout the performance, timing his delivery perfectly. I wish I had had the opportunity to see him live, it would clearly have been a fantastic experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 21 Aug 2013
Tia Janey (Scottish Highlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Life In A Scotch Sitting-Room Vol. II (Audio CD)
As you'd expect from Ivor, this is funny, obscure, surreal...most definately Scottish! The guy is a genius and I'd highly recommend this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfull, 22 July 2013
This review is from: Life In A Scotch Sitting-Room Vol. II (Audio CD)
the dulcet tones of Ivor Cutler will draw you into his sitting room, make you a cup of tea and tell you the tales .. how did I miss it all those years ago???
Quality is fantastic .. so funny... buy buy buy ... buy now and receive a free chuckle or two !!!

ARRAY(0x104ff0c0)