5.0 out of 5 stars Happy Chappy
I bought this product with a certain degree of wariness, as there were mixed reviews. However, I’m delighted with it. It does what it says on the box. I’m one of those who is sure they have a bestseller in them, but I’d never got far using just Word. I’ve already had hours of fun building my characters and strengthening my plot in this program,...
Published on 22 Oct. 2003 by Abdul Raheem

2.0 out of 5 stars Very poor
NewNovelist is a good idea, but the software is so riddled with bugs that it becomes unusable. For a start it will often lose the information you've stored in one of its files, so you lose every bit of work you've done.
Aside from the bugs, the idea of actually writing in this is laughable. There are no word-processing capabilities whatsoever. You...
Published on 27 Nov. 2005 by A. Jones

1.0 out of 5 stars Appalling!, 9 Mar. 2004
L. K. Boulton "leer19" (Llanelli) - See all my reviews
This review is from: New Novelist--Start Writing Your Novel (CD-ROM)
I was very disappointed with this product. I bought it with the intention that it would be a useful, helpful tool towards writing my novel but all it was, was merely a fancy way of presenting a word processing package with ideas on how to group various sections of your novel. Honestly, I could have done this using any normal word package. In fact, I almost have. Anyone who's thinking of this product, think again, you'd be better of using a normal word processor. Personally, a waste of money!

1.0 out of 5 stars Promises a lot - Delivers little, 14 Aug. 2003
C. Joss (Haddington, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: New Novelist--Start Writing Your Novel (CD-ROM)
Stay well clear of this product. Expensive at any price, the creators seem to have gleaned most of the structure from The Writer's Journey. There's nothing new that couldn't be gleaned from books half the price.
If you want a step by step guide to writing a novel, try The Marshall Plan for Novel Writing by Evan Marshall.

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy Chappy, 22 Oct. 2003
This review is from: New Novelist--Start Writing Your Novel (CD-ROM)
I bought this product with a certain degree of wariness, as there were mixed reviews. However, I'm delighted with it. It does what it says on the box. I'm one of those who is sure they have a bestseller in them, but I'd never got far using just Word. I've already had hours of fun building my characters and strengthening my plot in this program, and I can see my novel building in front of me. So I reckon it is definitely worth the money. Also, I have XP, and it works perfectly.

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of money, 3 Feb. 2004
This review is from: New Novelist--Start Writing Your Novel (CD-ROM)
Forget about it. The program is just a jumped-up version of notepad with a few bells and whistles. Save your money and buy a couple of decent 'how to' books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Piece of Software!!!, 20 April 2002
Ms. Karen Miller "Hermosa" (California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: New Novelist--Start Writing Your Novel (CD-ROM)
At last I can throw away all my scraps of paper and post-its and keep all my notes in one place. The software has helped me collect my thoughts and put them all in one place.
I've looked at other writing software packages and they are so complicated and full of jargon that I almost didn't buy Newnovelist, but I'm so glad I did as it's easy to install and use. I was typing up my novel within minutes of installation.

If I were reading the same points in a book I'd most likely be in bed or on a train and not have my PC available, but reading through the sections of the wizard on the screen you actually start typing up your novel then and there. The speed of which you get your novel on the screen is very rewarding. And don't be put off by the use of the Wizard - everything is interchangeable, you're not stuck with one template that is irrelevant to your work.
I'd recommend Newnovelist to anyone who is serious about writing, and after all, it costs little more than the price of a good book!

1.0 out of 5 stars Promises a lot - Delivers little, 14 Aug. 2003
C. Joss (Haddington, Scotland) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars It worked for me!, 7 Nov. 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: New Novelist--Start Writing Your Novel (CD-ROM)
All I wanted to do was to find a bit of software that helped me get my basic story idea stretched into a novel. It definitely did that for me, and I thought it was well worth the money. The best bit for me was the way it helped me develop characters with the right depth of detail, because that was where I know my story was weak and shallow. Good value for money.

4.0 out of 5 stars Newnovelist, 29 Mar. 2004
This review is from: New Novelist--Start Writing Your Novel (CD-ROM)
When I first bought this product I found it of little help and never used it again; that was a mistake. When I started buying how to write books I realised they were all telling me to plan things just like Newnovelist did; I went back to Newnovelist and used it in conjuction with my how to write books this time I found I now had the begining of a novel with worlds and characters I was on my way to writing my first novel!
Newnovelist prompts you to think about your novel and plan it out; at first I was convinsed I did'nt need to plan, things just came to me as a wrote, now I realise how wrong I was. Newnovelist makes you think about your characters and the world they live in and that its self gave me insperation to go on and write more and improve the level of my writing.
I would however recomend you use this CD in conjuction with other writing resources such as 'write and sell you novel' it will help you make more sense of the program.

5.0 out of 5 stars New Novelist CD, 30 Sept. 2003
Debbie (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: New Novelist--Start Writing Your Novel (CD-ROM)
Quite often you can start writing, to find that you lose impetus, but with this CD I found that I went through the beginning, middle and end of 3 fictional ideas. One of the stories I have expanded upon, it certainly isn't literary genius but I have subsequently bought the Final Draft software to see if it can be put into screen play mode. They say there is a book in all of us, I think it would make a good Christmas present. For the price its a light hearted way to spend your time, and for those with hidden talent maybe to their advantage.

2.0 out of 5 stars Newnovelist - early version, 8 Jun. 2012
Mr. Derek Denton (South Lakeland, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: New Novelist--Start Writing Your Novel (CD-ROM)
I bought Newnovelist years ago and am intrigued to see that it is still going. To be frank, I abandoned it because I found it did not suit my working methods as a published author. So why did I buy this software anyway? Well, I am always willing to learn something about the craft of writing, but I'm sorry to say Newnovelist in its first version was not for me. I suspect writers, being just people like all the other folk walking about this planet, are many and varied in their likes and dislikes. The most impressive writing software I have ever come across is Scrivener for the Mac (there is now a version for the PC I'm told). Anyway, Scrivener is quite outstanding, being useful in so many ways - including planning, note taking, shoving stuff around with complete ease, and of course writing your epic novel, history, philosophical treatise, or what have you. But there is also a strong following of minimalist writing software. Distraction-free writing is the aim, and there is a lot to be said for this type of program. But, in the end, you pay your money and take your pick. Or you can try one of the many clever freeware word processors knocking around. My personal favourite is ROUGH DRAFT [...]. He must be a remarkable man, Mr S, and generous to a fault with his creation.

As for Newnovelist in its latest version, you can always try it for yourself on a suck it and see basis. After all, it is a newer version than the one I had. You never know, you might like it.

New Novelist--Start Writing Your Novel
New Novelist--Start Writing Your Novel by Creativity Software (Windows 2000 / 95 / 98 / Me / NT / XP)