5.0 out of 5 stars Happy Chappy
Published on 22 Oct 2003 by Abdul Raheem

2.0 out of 5 stars Very poor
NewNovelist is a good idea, but the software is so riddled with bugs that it becomes unusable. For a start it will often lose the information you've stored in one of its files, so you lose every bit of work you've done.
Published on 27 Nov 2005 by A. Jones

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Very poor, 27 Nov 2005
A. Jones - See all my reviews
This review is from: New Novelist--Start Writing Your Novel (CD-ROM)
Aside from the bugs, the idea of actually writing in this is laughable. There are no word-processing capabilities whatsoever. You can't change the font, font-size, use bullet-points, or anything. If you do write something you can't export it. You can only save it and open it in NN. You can't format your work, so you'd never want to submit it to a publisher! You can't even right-click in the text window should you want to copy and paste something!
Given that I paid £30 for it, I feel very ripped off. Don't buy this, just make your notes on paper and write your novel in Word.

2.0 out of 5 stars New Novelist review, 17 Nov 2005
This review is from: New Novelist--Start Writing Your Novel (CD-ROM)
I bought this a few years back now and i noticed that this program is buggy and after a while you can't be bothered to put up with its errors anymore.
your probably better off just using word or something similiar. Seriously don't waste your money on junk like this.
you'll regret it.
i mean there is no spellcheck.
sometimes there is only so much you can write - (nn stops you from writing!?)
help feature sucks coz it doesn't help you.
and if you try to call up customer services to get the pin to unlock you wont get through EVER!
just use word - seriously!
new novelist is CRAP!

2.0 out of 5 stars Good idea, poorly executed, 10 Mar 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: New Novelist--Start Writing Your Novel (CD-ROM)
On the plus side, this software helps me with what I wanted it to help me with. A big plus. It forces you to consider character in detail, story type and structure, the importance of location and several other facets of good story telling.
The big negative is that you can't access any of this in a printed, or even a comprehensive onscreen, report. That's right - you can spend hours detailing all aspects of your major and minor characters, only to find that the information is trapped in fairly unhelpful units in the software.
The really annoying thing is that the software itself claims that such reports can be generated. After an hour of head-scratching I called the company helpline and asked how I did this. The polite man on the other end of the phone admitted I'd stumbled on a 'hot potato', and that such reports couldn't be produced at the moment. An upgrade/patch is expected by the end of the year.
Until such a patch arrives, I'm loathe to invest time in the creation of data which I can't access in any useful form.
This is very disappointing, as the software itself is really rather good, and exceedingly useful, but until it's been improved I'm off to look at other options.

3.0 out of 5 stars expensive gadget but may help kickstart the witing process, 2 Feb 2003
Tilde "Tilde" (Aberdeen United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: New Novelist--Start Writing Your Novel (CD-ROM)
Despite what I say below, this still could be a useful kickstart to anyone who needs help in getting focus on their ideas for a book or story, but there are some significant drawbacks which limit its long term usefulness.
The prog itself is shockingly short, and takes about a nanosecond to install. In reality it is like a glorified spreadsheet - with muliple levels for storing data on places and characterisation (which is by far the most useful part)
It is particularly important to realise that will not actually write a book for you (that still takes effort!) but it will help you index and track characters, places, events. storyline.
It will NOT hold the text of your novel - which is probably a good thing, because the most significant limitation for me is the inability to print anything from it!! Having things electonically is one thing, but I can see no reason for NOT allowing you to print from it....maybe the programmers know something I don't
The tips on storyline etc are pretty basic and you'll only read them once. The structures offered for story framworks are limiting (although they can be edited) tend to become annoying - which is why I think you are likely to move away from this as a tool after using it for any length of time.
I can't thinking that once you have used this for a while, you will realise how easy it is to keep track of your own details in a spreadsheet - which allows you more flexibility - not to mention being able to print from it, and can be conveniently moved between your main computer and laptop.
In sumary - it manages to help you fill in details and keep track on characterisation and overall it is probably too expensive. Of course, the 64K question is 'How much is your book worth to you?' If this helps get a book out of you, then maybe its worth it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Just use word, not this garbage., 7 July 2006
Mr. D. J. Read (Alnwick, Northumberland United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: New Novelist--Start Writing Your Novel (CD-ROM)
Okay, echoing the reviews of others, I have found this to not be user friendly, but it is not this that had me tearing out my hair, ripping the c.d from my computer and smashing it into a hundred pieces.

Beware, if you continue writing and saving, there is a cheeky little bug. It manifests itself like so; the save button suddenly changes function and deletes all your work. Not so bad, you may think, as long as you save regularly you will simply be able to retrieve a previously saved file. Oh no, not only does it delete every word you have written, it then saves it simultaneously, so that you are then left with nothing, all your hard work wiped out.

Just use word, this thing is a complete joke, a travesty for all would-be authors. Whoever created this monstrosity should be thoroughly ashamed, preying on peoples writing dreams at 25 a shot which is only more likely to deter potential authors.

This 1 star rating is far too generous as it is, but Amazon have neglected to include the 0 star facility.

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy Chappy, 22 Oct 2003
This review is from: New Novelist--Start Writing Your Novel (CD-ROM)
I bought this product with a certain degree of wariness, as there were mixed reviews. However, I’m delighted with it. It does what it says on the box. I’m one of those who is sure they have a bestseller in them, but I’d never got far using just Word. I’ve already had hours of fun building my characters and strengthening my plot in this program, and I can see my novel building in front of me. So I reckon it is definitely worth the money.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not for the serious writer, 12 Aug 2006
This review is from: New Novelist--Start Writing Your Novel (CD-ROM)
The idea behind this software is good, but unfortunately the idea isn't carried through to the programme. If you want to write your novel to a formula, then it's for you. If you require a bit more freedom, you will find this very limiting

I can't say I ever lost any work, like previous reviewers. But whilst I found it okay for jotting down ideas (assuming one didn't lose them) it was absolutely no good for copying and pasting chapter, paragraphs or character studies once I'd written them. Even in this computer age, a writer sometimes needs a few printed, easy to access notes at the side of them, rather than having to keep opening and closing software to find what they're looking for.

I took my version of this out of my computer ages ago, having never managed to write one novel with it (I've written others without the aid of software). So, no I wouldn't recommend it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Unsure....., 7 April 2005
This review is from: New Novelist--Start Writing Your Novel (CD-ROM)
I've got to be truthful, I am in two minds about this product. I only bought it several days ago, and I haven't explored it completely. However, the first thing that sprung to my attention is the fact that it is all so organised. Although you are able to develop your own characters etc, you are given a plot template, which certainly for my style of writing is difficult to follow. I appreciate that it does organise your work into a pattern and it is easy to refer to when you need clarification about something which you have earlier discussed, however, it feels like it is all a really good idea- unfortunately too good to be true.
As another amazon reviewer has pointed out, it does solve the fear of being faced with a blank page, but for me I think it breaks it up too much and in some ways can stem the creative flow and the joy that you can get from writing, hate to sound old fashioned, but I'd rather face a blank page, than have a program where I cannot fully develop all of my ideas!
If when I have used this program more I decide that all this is complete rubbish, then I will apologise prefusely! At the moment, this is how I feel towards it, not a bad idea, just not right for everyone!

5.0 out of 5 stars Mum will have to wait for her present!, 18 April 2002
Phil Dawson (Taunton, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: New Novelist--Start Writing Your Novel (CD-ROM)
The simplicity and effectiveness of newnovelist has persuaded me to a write my first ever review for anything. I originally bought this as a gift for my mother - it achieved the tick in the box as a present and I thought that she might actually use it. She hasn't. I loaded it up onto my pc and there it shall stay. Even though I have had a few ideas, I never thought I would ever get around to writing a short story let alone a novel. Newnovelist has changed that. It has helped me overcome the hardest part: getting started. It is incredibly valuable in helping me to structure my thoughts, to pre-plan blocks of writing and to have some fun with my new-found hobby. The software is intuitive and has made it easy for me not only to take ideas and interweave them into the story but also to cut and past earlier drafts.
The software loaded first time and although I had a stupid query about the key authorisation, the after-sales support was responsive and helpful. In the end my mother will get a copy as will my mother-in-law, uncle and anyone else I know with a computer, time on their hands and the willingness to create. Well done and thanks.

4.0 out of 5 stars I am glad I bought it, 26 May 2004
This review is from: New Novelist--Start Writing Your Novel (CD-ROM)
I nearly didn’t buy this because of the poor reviews – but a friend of mine recommended it. I’m glad I did pay for it – I’ve got loads of “how to” books, but what I needed was some form of structure to put my ideas into. Newnovelist does this pretty well. Sure, it’s not a wonderful word processor, but I’ve got Word for that. It helps me build my characters which I was struggling with. All up, very pleased. I only wrote this because it seemed that only unhappy people bother writing reviews

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

New Novelist--Start Writing Your Novel
New Novelist--Start Writing Your Novel by Creativity Software (Windows 2000 / 95 / 98 / Me / NT / XP)
34.95