5.0 out of 5 stars I am compelled to recommend this to you!
I think it was New Year's Eve 2003 that I saw the video for Used For Glue on TV and I vaguely remembered hearing it somewhere before. So I 'acquired' it from the Internet, listened to it 20 times a day for a week, then bought this album.
I read the Amazon review beforehand, and I HAD to weigh in on this debate: Is United By Fate boring bland US Rock, or is it...
Published on 26 Jun 2004 by Russell Smith

3.0 out of 5 stars Occasionally touches on excellence!
I was actually rather disappointed when I heard this album. Press reviews had hinted at a probably-destined-to-be-ignored gem, so a blinding selection of guitar songs was expected.
Rival Schools do actually manage to fulfill the promise on a few songs here - certainly "Used For Glue", "High Acetate" and the awesome "Good Things" (which...
Published on 22 Feb 2002

5.0 out of 5 stars They're here to save the world from nu-metal!, 14 Jan 2002
This review is from: United by Fate (Audio CD)
This is quite literally the best album I have ever listened to, and I've listened to a fair few. "High Acetate" reeks of Nirvana at their best and "Used for Glue" is an absolute classic. This is a must buy album for anybody who likes heavy(ish) music and doesn't want to listen to nu-metal or rap-rock. BUY THIS RECORD!

5.0 out of 5 stars oh my word, it is good, 4 Dec 2001
This review is from: United by Fate (Audio CD)
Wow. With their tuneful, meaningful and relentless music, Rival Schools are quite simply one of the best bands yet to come out of the new decade. I bought this album after hearing 'good things' which is truly wonderful and 'used for glue' on the radio. I must say it was the wisest thing I have ever done. This album contains everything you could want; crunching guitar riffs, amazing lyrics and fantastic vocals. It is a shame that Rival Schools have not had more publicity over here because they could have been, (and still may be) one of the greatest bands, because their talent is somewhat unrivalled with most of the punk/rock/hardcore industry today. Highlights include the genius of 'undercovers on', 'good things', 'My echo' and 'so dawn on', but all of the songs will not disappoint. What else can I say except that i can only advise you to buy the album and see what I mean, because it is, unquestionably, a work of art, which certainly deserves more recognition than it is getting.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is one of the best alkbums you'll ever hear !!!!!!, 18 Feb 2002
This review is from: United by Fate (Audio CD)
This album is the best I own. It has everything man!!!! My favourite tracks are Everything has its Point and High Acetate. Rival Schools are such a good band. I can't wait till they bring out another one or they tour the UK. They are playing support to A in a massive tour at the moment aren't they. Pretty good line up. I strongly reccomend this album to anyone who is into this kaind of music. It's amazing!

4.0 out of 5 stars Grows on you like a rash, 14 Jan 2003
B. Philipson "Johanna" (Gateshead ,UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: United by Fate (Audio CD)
I bought this for my missus for Christmas with the new QOTHSA cd.This is my favourite by a country mile. Starts off with a blast, "Travel by Telephone", and manages to sustain the intensity almost to the end. "Used For Glue" is a classic, other stand out tracks for me are "Undercovers On" & "Good Things Are Coming". If you like Buffalo Tom, Foos,Hundred Reasons or Jimmy Eat World you'll love this.

5.0 out of 5 stars The next big thing?, 14 Mar 2002
This review is from: United By Fate (Audio CD)
I first heard of Rival Schools on the CD from the Magazine Rock Sound. The song I heard was 'Good Things' and I liked it. The band has members from different bands around the NY hardcore genre. The album itself is amazing from start to finish. The highlight songs are used for glue and good things but there are many more, to be honest there isn't a bad song on the lp. Though the hardcore influence the album is a lot more mellow and more emo with twist of punk and has an acoustic feel to it. As they have just finshed a tour with another ace band 'A',these are set to stardom a truly great band and a magnifcent Album. Recommended, so go buy it you money weilding fiends.

5.0 out of 5 stars Uplifting, 4 Mar 2002
This review is from: United by Fate (Audio CD)
This is actually bloody good. To me this sounds post-grunge mixed with emo. Loads of great hooks here to keep you occupied. If you've heard "Good Things" and "Used For Glue" and loved them, you'll love this album. A positive album, a nice break from the exhausted numetal and one beat (fast, snare drum bass drum bass drum snare drum - yawn) SoCal punk music.

5.0 out of 5 stars Includes 13 well written, energy filled, powerful rock songs, 28 Jan 2006
Chris Hall "DLS Reviews" (Cardiff, Wales) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: United By Fate (Audio CD)
Rival Schools was created through guitarist and singer Walter Schreifels who had originally been he guitarist for the ‘80s hardcore group ‘Gorilla Biscuits’ and had then gone on to influence the entire post-hardcore movement with his influential and creative work in the band ‘Quicksand’. The group’s drummer Sam Siegler has played within the likes of ‘Gorilla Biscuits’, ‘Youth Of Today’, ‘Judge’, ‘Shelter’, ‘CIV’ and ‘Glassjaw’. Guitarist Ian Love was a former member of the bands ‘Burn’ and ‘Die 116’. Finally, Rival School’s bassist is Cache Tolman takes experience from the likes of ‘Iceburn’ and ‘CIV’. With their collective talents put together, the emo super-group ‘Rival Schools’ was born, attracting wide media attention and an instant fan base.
The summer of 2001 saw the long awaited release of the band’s debut full length album ‘United By Fate’ through Schreifels’ old ‘Quicksand’ label, Island Records.
The album contains some truly creative and inspirational songwriting and song construction with an explosive energy behind it that clearly floods through from the songs. The guitars deliver a layered and chunky wall of thick riffage that blasts throughout the CD. Schreifels’ vocals are rough and gritty which complements the desperate sound that the group produce.
The album includes the hit single “Used For Glue” that delivers a simple but meaty riff that is the tracks foundation. Awesome in its simplicity, the song is a sing-along anthem even after the first listen. As for the rest of the album, it’s packed with a diverse range of different song styles that still have the same ‘Rival Schools’ seal of quality. The album is definitely a ‘grower’, but persistence does pay off in the end.
A very, very highly recommended album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 14 Jan 2011
This review is from: United By Fate (Audio CD)
A grower, that's what this album is.
I purchased it from a CD store when it was released many years ago, I had no idea at all what to expect having heard nothing of the band before.

The first few listens I didn't take to this album immediately, it wans't bad, but it had a strange quality to it that wasn't instantly hooking.
Hundreds of listens later and this is easily one of the best albums in my collection.
Favourites being Unders On, which manages to bringing emotions about every time, a beautiful song, Hooligans for Life is an excellent, fun instrumental, and a great way to close the album.

Excellent Five Stars *****

5.0 out of 5 stars NOT Boooring, 4 Jun 2003
This review is from: United By Fate (Audio CD)
I am startled by the number of reviewers who found this gem of an album boring - I can only suggest that they did not really give it a good enough listen before flinging it into the corner of their putrid teenage bedrooms in favour of Fred Durst's finest <smirk>.
This album simply screams quality. From the opening bars of 'Travel by Telephone' you know you are listening to something a bit special. Great voice, great lyrics - inspire you to go out and do something like...cut down a tree. I really like the layering of guitars on this album - they roll over you in waves of sound. Like floating in a rubber dinghy on the Atlantic for forty or so minutes. Many tout 'Used For Glue' as the album's highlight but for me it has to be 'Good Things'. I can see why some people would dislike this song - all vague platitudes and unadventurous music - but this is exactly it, Rival Schools' originality lies in the emotion they put into it. I hate 'Emo' as much as the next monkey but that title does this band a real injustice.
I travelled round South-East Asia for 7 weeks listening to this record. By rights I should be sick of it. But I'm not. Buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rival Schools..., 1 April 2005
lex (richmond virginia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: United By Fate (Audio CD)
A fine follow up from former Quicksand frontman Walter Schriefel. If you like this then you will love Quicksand, perhaps one of the finest 90's alternative bands...Emo? I think not. Think Seaweed and Fugazi...Some reviewer compared this to Pearljam...Please.....Know your music before you speak. Six stars.

United By Fate
United By Fate by Rival Schools (Audio CD - 2002)