Art School Dancing
Format: Audio CDChange
Price:£20.07+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 30 August 2002
Malcolm Jones' legendary Harvest Records label has fascinated me ever since I used to spend hours looking at the Pink Floyd record sleeves in my sister's record collection. I was intruiged by Roger Dean's wonderful Harvest logo and the Hipgnosis designs but it didn't take me long to realise that the music was just as good. The label started in 1969 but by 1973 it was already gradually fading away as a creative force. However, the output of the preceding years four had been incredible. This compilation of all that was right about Harvest should be given to all modern record executives to show them where they are going wrong. Much of this material sounds fresh as a daisy considering its age and hasn't dated nearly as badly as I thought it would. There's folk, prog, rock, pop, metal, jazz, classical, blues etc. here, but this being Harvest it means usually there is always at least three of them fused together in the same track! There isn't a duff track on this collection, it's highly representative of the label, it's going really cheap, the sleeve notes are good - what more do you want?
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
on 23 August 2002
With artists such as Deep Purple, Syd Barrett, The Move, ELO and Babe Ruth you might be thinking that this album must be a gem? Unfortunately it's not a diamond but just a cheap crystal copy. The tracks are taken from '69 to '73, and it proves just how bad things got after psychedelia. The inner notes unfortunately don't give you a clue as to what you are about hear. Though if you read between these lines then things become clear... "to explore the studio and its facilities". The guy neglects to mention that they never found the mixing desks.
It does have it's funny side (though unintentionally), Pete Brown & His Battered Ornaments bring us the cheesy "Dark Lady" - hilariously delivered by Mr Brown (who has a hand in writting the inner notes). "Our Song" by Roger Waters & Ron Geesin manage to prove that music can be made on the fly by making trumping and slapping noises for a whole 3 minutes! Sadly even Syd Barret lets us down with a very poor tune. However, it would be unfair to ignore the effort by Barclay James Harvest which is the only song that has any creedence on the album, and the only worth the 47p (per track) that is being ask for.
So what is the link to Art School Dancing??? The last track and again it's my favour cheesy loon pants wearing hippy Pete Brown. To my surprise over 13,000 people have bought this CD, though not one of them seem to have a good word to say about it... that speaks volumes!!!
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again