5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderfully clear, digitally remastered rendition, 1 April 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Mary Poppins (Audio CD)
This classic feel-good film, with original cast, is ideal for anyone wanting to escape from the pace of life. I fooled myself that I bought it for my young son, but really I just wanted an escape to go back to childhood. The music is so visually expressive (and intrinsically linked to the film) that you can picture every scene: a soundtrack with all the favourites (from A Spoonful of Sugar to Let's Go Fly A Kite) you'll never tire of!

4.0 out of 5 stars Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious, 27 Aug 2004
Andy Millward (Tiptree, Essex, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Mary Poppins (Audio CD)
I bought this CD for my daughter, who at 9 has become probably the third generation to be entranced by the excellent music written for the film adaptation of Mary Poppins, which considering it was released in 1964 has shown astonishing longevity. The majority of these songs sound remarkably fresh, aided in particular by the vivacity of Julie Andrews (a performer born to play this role, even though her character in the film is very different to the book!)
With the possible exceptions of My Fair Lady and West Side Story, few musicals have really been able to sustain the quality of material, but the gathering here of songs like A Spoonful of Sugar, Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious, Feed the Birds, Fly a Kite, Chim Chim Cher-ee and Jolly Holiday has preserved Mary Poppins in the British collective memory. True, there are some fillers, but this album has whetted my daughter's apetite so she now can't wait to see the stage version in London.

5.0 out of 5 stars Practically Perfect In Every Way, 23 Jun 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Mary Poppins (Audio CD)
The only reason for criticising Disney's version of Mary Poppins is cynicism. But if your life is just TOO cynical, then what you need is a shot of Mary Poppins. I'm the first to say that Disney's usual approach to "the text" was too often to cover it in saccharine and petals and present it to a jaded American audience. But in the case of Mary Poppins, a "spoonful of sugar" was just the tonic for a slightly dated and often scary series of books by P L Travers.
And the lack of pandering to an American audience by dousing the film in all its intrinsic British elements was (and is) to be highly commended. Let's face it, even Dick van Dyke's hilarious "mockney" accent is now a part of British folklore, isn't it?
And all the songs that you know are here. Even if you thought that you never knew them! Supercali..., Spoonful of Sugar, Jolly Holiday, Feed the Birds.
But... I always thought that Mrs Banks got off lightly when the moral was told. I mean, didn't she have any say over her children's lives?!? Isn't that just the sort of cynicism I criticised at the beginning? Yes, probably, but when your seven year old sings along to this all day long, you can start to think to hard about it!!
Buy this and remember why you're alive!

5.0 out of 5 stars I love Musicals, 25 Dec 2003
This review is from: Mary Poppins (Audio CD)
I love Musicals and proud of it. Mary Poppins the sound track is great on CD. I have this on original Vinyl and the cd quality is great, fully recommend this along with the Vid.

5.0 out of 5 stars back in time, 1 Nov 2013
This review is from: Mary Poppins (Audio CD)
This took me back years and years, adored the film,, Favourite song,, Feed the Birds. Had it on in the car with my grandchildren, they now know most of the songs and it makes a long journey it a journey flown by,, no bored children, When we watched the film it was watched more intensley as we all sang along. It made a great film night,

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, 20 Aug 2013
This review is from: Marry Poppins (Audio CD)
my five-year-old granddaughter loves singing along to it in the car. It's the original soundtrack, so excellent quality. Thank you

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic, 23 Jun 2013
This review is from: Mary Poppins (Audio CD)
We know and love the songs. Great to sing along to as my son prepared for performing this at school. Arrived fairly quickly.

Mary Poppins
Mary Poppins by Dick Van Dyke (Audio CD - 2002)