5.0 out of 5 stars Gardening at its best
I remember seeing a few episodes of this when it was first broadcast on telly,and I enjoyed it.Some years ago I aquired the whole series on video,and have watched it many times.Now that The Victorian Kitchen Garden,The Victorian Flower Garden and The Victorian Kitchen are available on DVD this is a must have for any novice or experienced gardener.
Harry Dodson,like...
Published on 20 Jan 2008 by David Marshall

3.0 out of 5 stars The Victorian Kitchen Garden (DVD)
A great DVD with some very useful information in an easy to follow way.

The only thing is that the quality of the picture is not up to the standards of today, still well worth getting.
Published 22 months ago by Sting

5.0 out of 5 stars Gardening at its best, 20 Jan 2008
This review is from: The Victorian Kitchen Garden [DVD] (DVD)
Harry Dodson,like his father and grandfather before him was employed at "The Big House" working his way up from journeyman to eventually becoming Head Gardener.
The late Harry Dodson who inspired me to take up growing Fruit and Vegetables back in the 1980's was a very knowledgable and delightful man.If you want to be inspired to grow your own veg even in a small garden,then this is definitely the best documentary type film to watch.As one episode finishes you find you can't wait to watch the next one and see what they do next.
Even the music is fine,as is the way they transform this old walled garden
that was run down and neglected back to its former glory. Like others have said this series is truly inspirational,and I can't recommend it stongly enough.
While you are at it though,I higly recommend the complete set of Three Victorian DVD's
Hours of Gardening Bliss

5.0 out of 5 stars Quite delightful, 10 July 2008
A. S. Gilbert (Nottingham) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Victorian Kitchen Garden [DVD] (DVD)
I really enjoy this 2-DVD set and have watched it a few times already. No doubt I shall be watching it again! It is a lovely way to escape from reality for an hour to a more elegant era.

Fortunately for us there are many Victorian walled gardens being restored now. This DVD explains the process from start to finish and is quite delightful. Not only is it interesting from a historic point of view but provides very useful knowledge which we can apply in our own gardens, today.

5.0 out of 5 stars TV gardening at its best, 21 Dec 2008
Wiltshire Bookworm (Chippenham) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Victorian Kitchen Garden [DVD] (DVD)
I was bought this DVD as a surprise birthday present by my husband. What a thoughtful gift!

The DVD of a TV series of the same name, it re-creates how Victorian kitchen gardening operated in meticulous detail. Of course having Harry Dodson, one of the last living proponents of the art at the time (sadly he died last year) is a great asset and he turns out to be the absolute star of the show. Each programme deals with one month of the year, thus building into a kitchen gardening calendar.

With the upsurge of interest in growing our own, heritage varieties and a return to 'the old ways', I'm sure this DVD will continue to be most popular. And I defy anyone watching this series, not to want their own walled kitchen garden forthwith!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, 12 Nov 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: The Victorian Kitchen Garden [DVD] (DVD)
This is a wonderful series. Anyone interested in growing their own food will enjoy this series. Harry Dodson is a delight. Please, please put The Victorian Kitchen and The Victorian Flower Garden on DVD!

5.0 out of 5 stars Victorian Kitchen Garden is a must, 29 Mar 2004
Miss Annette Nelson (Theodore, ACT Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Victorian Kitchen Garden [DVD] (DVD)
With great delight my package arrived and I consumed all 13 wonderful episodes in one day. I have shared it with friends and family and family of friends and we all love it. We watch it over and over again when it is too hot to go outside and work in our garden. Harry is such a delightful chap and such a natural. We desperately need Victorian Kitchen and Victorian Flower Garden on DVD too; videos just couldn't cope with that much use!

5.0 out of 5 stars old ways are the best, 11 Jan 2008
This review is from: The Victorian Kitchen Garden [DVD] (DVD)
I would recommend this dvd,harry dodson is and was a delight, its great to watch the old ways of growing and its his old way that my allotment will carry on the tradition.A must dvd and many thanks to peter thoday and harry for agreeing to do the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!!, 19 April 2006
C. Parry - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Victorian Kitchen Garden [DVD] (DVD)
This is a very informative dvd, Harry Dodson is an inspiration to all who wish to grow their own vegetables. The history surrounding the Victorian kitchen garden is explained in an interesting way.

5.0 out of 5 stars The way it was, 27 Dec 2005
Mr. Iain Cathro "icathro" (Scotand) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Victorian Kitchen Garden [DVD] (DVD)
If this is not the best documentary I've ever seen I cannot remember any better. Superb. Anyone who loves gardening must see this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Victorian Kitchen Garden., 20 Oct 2010
This review is from: The Victorian Kitchen Garden [DVD] (DVD)
If you only have a couple of hours to spare each week then you must watch this DVD. Put your feet up with a nice cup of tea and some bourbon biscuits and prepare to be transported back to Victorian times.
The soothing voice of Peter Thoday who's extensive knowledge of Victorian gardening is mind boggling and Harry Dodson's recollections as a journeyman gardener during the 1930's makes for sublime viewing.

5.0 out of 5 stars A real gem, 7 Oct 2010
A. Carey (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Victorian Kitchen Garden [DVD] (DVD)
I can watch this beautifully made series over and over again and always see something new in it. Contrary to the gardening programmes of today, the focus is NOT on the "personality" presenting but on the practicalities of gardening. In any case, Harry Dodson had buckets load more personality than many of today's gardening 'experts'. Also unlike today's gardening programmes, the camera is always homed in on what is being talked about, not wavering about in the air or on the face of the presenters. And the music.....well, as I say, it is a real gem and a treasure.

The Victorian Kitchen Garden [DVD]
The Victorian Kitchen Garden [DVD] by Keith Sheather (DVD - 2002)
17.11