5.0 out of 5 stars A refreshing change
What a refreshing album to have appeared in the charts. When my sister lent me the album to listen to I thought it was a relatively un-known artist who she'd had the good fortune to discover. But then I walked into my local music shop and there it was sitting at number 12 in the charts!
Published on 25 Jun 2002 by cheryl-anne

2.0 out of 5 stars Wallpaper music
I'm afraid I expected more in the way of jazz singing than what is on offer here. Norah seems to rely on a sultry heavy breathing style which is ok for a number or two, but it all blends into a syrupy sameness after a couple of tracks. Even my wife said can we not listen to something less boring!
Published 17 months ago by Benledi

5.0 out of 5 stars A refreshing change, 25 Jun 2002
This review is from: Come Away With Me (Audio CD)
Norah Jones has a wonderfully mellow voice, and the songs that she has chosen for the album really do it justice. There is a mixture of old songs and new, which all blend together to create an album which you never want to end. The arrangements fit the songs perfectly, no sign of over-production here - it is lovely to just hear her singing with a piano accompaniment. The noted on the album describe her music as a mixture of jazz, country and pop. I would agree with this, although the country and pop influences are very subtle, and I will personally be adding her album to my jazz collection.
I find it hard to believe this is her debut album, but am very much looking forward to hearing more from her and her musicians in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars Be moved, 28 Nov 2005
This review is from: Come Away With Me (Audio CD)
There will always be some fans of any genre that isn't pop who will instantly hate something for its popularity and desperately try and shout about how this isn't rock/metal/jazz etc.
Forget the genre. Forget the popularity and forget the adverts on telly and just listen.
This album has stolen my heart, thrown it on top of its piano and sauntered off into a lazy sunset. It is superb. Probably one of the best albums I have heard in a LONG time (and I work with music).
Norah's voice, which is a beautiful sound on the ear, takes you through a fantastic series of songs each as beautiful as the last. The power in her voice is distinct and obvious, but she does not belt out the sounds needlessly, with only a hint at what she can do. She takes us gently, and its unutterably beautiful.
Just buy the album. Outstanding

5.0 out of 5 stars this album is absolutely fantastic, 20 July 2006
This review is from: Come Away With Me (Audio CD)
I don't usually listen to laid-back-take-it-easy music like this,but I have to say this cd is wonderful.Its classy mix of country,pop and jazz are a powerful cocktail and highly addictive.By the time Norah got to the title track Come Away with Me I found myself thinking "just tell me where we're going honey!" By the time the next track Shoot the Moon arrived I felt as though I could.For me this album is summed up by The Nearness of You.But it's Norah who's near:you really feel that she's singing to you.

5.0 out of 5 stars She melts my cold, cold heart, 23 Oct 2005
This review is from: Come Away With Me (Audio CD)
Norah Jones provides a leading example here in a new wave of country music.
Her voice sold the album to me. It speaks of wistfulness and wisdom, yet also of youth and vitality. Accompanied by excellent instrumentals, her hypnotic vocal tones are captivating; competently and dutifully employed at every turn.
This is a well-executed album. Two years after I bought it, I still listen in semi-comatose rapture and delight.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 10 July 2005
This review is from: Come Away With Me (Audio CD)
Norah Jones is amazing, she's talented and has produced the perfect album here with Come Away With Me. This CD is frequently on my CD player, because it has the power of suiting most moods.. I usually play it when I need to go to sleep (because its soothing), or when I'm sad (somehow feels right) or when I'm happy and just feel like relaxing...
Its not a duff album in the sense that there are only one or two tracks on here that catch my eye.. my personal favourites are "Don't Know Why", "Feeling the Same Way", " Seven Years" and "Shoot the Moon" - her beautiful voice combines with lyrics that are vague that you can relate them to your own feelings.
Well worth the buy, and its likely you'll find a good few standout tracks :)

5.0 out of 5 stars An exceptional album, 14 Mar 2003
Whatchamacallit (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Come Away With Me (Audio CD)
I have to strongly disagree with some of these other reviews. This is my favourite album from the last year. I'd heard the singles and seen the TV ad last summer, so went ahead and bought the CD. I don't regret my choice at all. Her voice is sublime, and the majority of the tracks are excellent.
I'm not a fan of country music and although this does have some country influences there are enough other musical styles involved here to make it just a perfect mix. My usual musical tastes range from PJ Harvey, Coldplay, Radiohead right through to Jazz and Swing.
There aren't that many albums I hear that I feel are good enough to justify telling my friends about. I told them about this one without hesitation. I have also taken the time to write this review as I feel so strongly that anyone who hasn't yet heard this wonderful album really ought to. If you like the samples available on this site then I guarantee you'll not regret buying the CD.

5.0 out of 5 stars perfect escapism, 1 Dec 2002
Pooky Hesmondhalgh "Pooky" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Come Away With Me (Audio CD)
I bought this album on the strength of about ten seconds I heard on a TV ad'.... I'm not a whimsical person as a rule but it seemed like the only thing to do: Norah Jones' voice captivated me from the first moment I heard it: and buying "Come Away With Me" is a choice I have become more pleased of every day.
This music is instantly enjoyable, from the opening bars you are on to a winner, yet it becomes surprisingly more exciting each time you hear it. I think that Norah Jones is a rare species in today's pop market in that she is genuinely talented - the result being that each time you listen to her music you can hear increasing intense depths and begin to understand it on deeper levels than before.
The kind of dreams that it is a shame to wake up from have soundtracks that sound like this: it is music that is too beautiful and perfect to actually be true. If you want to find music to relax to, make love to or generally feel content to then this is a fantastic buy: I would rate it alongside Sade's "Lover's Rock" ... and that is no small compliment!

4.0 out of 5 stars Come Away With Me - Norah Jones, 21 Oct 2002
This review is from: Come Away With Me (Audio CD)
Norah Jones - Come Away With Me.
A new voice is currently storming the CD charts with her debut album, 'Come Away With Me'. (A limited number of a CD's called 'First Sessions' was realeased in 2000).
The 'voice' is that of Norah Jones, who hails from Texas, her 'root's' are quite clearly jazz, but some of the tracks on the CD demonstrate that she has also hung out in the odd country bar or two and has maybe visted Memphis on occasions.
I refer to her as the 'voice', because she sings in pure velvet, warm chocolate, and smokey atmospheres. She is 'late night' listening at it's very best. It also says a lot when you discover that the CD was produced by the legendary Arif Mardin, who has worked with some of the most influencial artists of the 20th century.
The CD opens with 'Don't Know Why', a fairly minor hit on the likes of Radio 2. It's smooth and sexy, her lyrics accompanied by a 'real' double bass (played by Lee Alexander) and the simple sounds of brushes on drum-skins, (Dan Rieser), Norah plays light jazz riffs on the piano throughout. 'Seven Years' was written by the aforementioned Mr Alexander and is a simple ballad for voice, accoustic guitar and double bass, it's pleasant, but one of the weaker tracks on the CD. 'Cold Cold Heart' is a rather good re-working of the Hank Williams song, it's a gentle foot-tapper with that bass and piano. The title track, 'Come Away With Me' has to be 'THE' definitive track for lying in bed with a loved one and and just 'snuggling' too. Norah's voice on this one is so pure. It's slow. Again, it's sexy and shows that she understands what a love song should say. '.......While I'm safe there in your arms, so all I ask, is for you, to come away with me .......'. (The track is currently on release as her second single from the album). 'The long Day is Over', comes second on that count and 'One Flight Down' comes a close third, for the 'snuggle factor'. As a slight contrast in style, 'Lonestar' has more of a country feel, but it just proves what a real talent Norah Jones is, she carries it beautifully.
This has to be one of the best Debut albums I've ever heard. If you like your music cool and refined, if you have an open fire, if you have someone you are truly in love with, then this CD is for you. If none of the above applies, you'll want to go and buy a house with an open fire and fall in love, it really is 'that' kind of album. I'm predicting she and the album will be voted winners in the new-comers sections when the award ceromonies start next year; if she doesn't, I will buy a hat and eat it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A star is born!, 27 Mar 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Come Away With Me (Audio CD)
I bought this purely on the strength of the glowing review in MOJO, and I was not disappointed, and neither will you be. This lady is going to be a star. Great voice, terrific arrangements. But don't try to hang a label on her, or compare her to the likes of Sade as some critics have done. Norah Jones is unique. There's more than a hint of jazz here, but there's also touch of country and a sliver of pop. This girl has got it all, and she moulds these diverse influences into one. Can't wait to see her in concert.

5.0 out of 5 stars Norah Jones - Come Away With Me, 3 Nov 2002
This review is from: Come Away With Me (Audio CD)
One of the reviewers of this album said it was perfect music to fall asleep to, so being a sometime insomniac, I went out and bought it the next day.
It's not what I'd have termed "my kind of music", but it's a beautiful album, and it's been lodged in my cd player day and night since it came home with me.
The music is sultry, sexy, moody and mellow and I will never tire of listening to it. Her version of Hank Williams Cold, Cold Heart is simply perfect.
I defy anyone, whatever their musical preference, not to enjoy and appreciate this debut Norah Jones album. I will be at the head of the queue for her follow-up!

ARRAY(0xabf12a20)

Come Away With Me
Come Away With Me by Norah Jones (Audio CD - 2002)