5.0 out of 5 stars This is the one you want for The Tangerine Dream Score!
Published 18 months ago by Ms. T. Allen

3.0 out of 5 stars Once. Twice. Three times a Legend.
Published on 9 Feb. 2012 by N. Witton

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the one you want for The Tangerine Dream Score!, 21 Dec. 2013
Ms. T. Allen "tara_lara7000" (england) - See all my reviews
After watching a couple of different releases of Legend and being thoroughly disappointed both with the music and cut scenes I have finally found the one that is nearly the exact original. I know Amazon will mash this review together under a 'general' Legend heading confusing which copy I'm talking about so I'm going to make it really clear! If you want the Original Tangerine dream music, blu ray quality and the least hacked up version of this classic film, the one you want is LEGEND (BLU-RAY) (1985) (region free) (US import). This has both the theatrical release and the directors cut. The theatrical release has the right music and no major scene cuts as far as I could tell it's the film I grew up loving! Under no circumstances by the UK release! Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it even more after 16 years...!, 17 May 2003
This review is from: Legend [1985] [DVD] (DVD)
I first saw this movie on tv over 16 years ago and fell in love with it. And even still, at age 20, it is my favourite movie. I believe I am this movie's biggest fan and critic. I have 7 veriated versions of this movie, and have easily seen Legend close to 4000 times (no, it's not a sickness, it just spoke to me in different ways everytime i saw/see it).
It's still so sad that the dance scene had not been rightfully placed back into the movie after all these years.
If it had been, then the movie would finally be complete.
There are so many funny little changes in each version; between misplaced lines, scene sequences, dubs, etc... There's no wonder why I just keep watching it.
I still haven't fulfilled my goal of taking every extra little bit and piece that all the movies have and lack and create my own version with every single line and scene possible to match the complete script as closely as possible.
Sounds disturbing, but if ridley can't do it, I will!
They say a great book can be identified when it entices you just as much/or even more after you read it as a child, adult, and grow old.
That's precisely how I view Legend.
;) CHEERS!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best Fantasy films ever!, 13 Jan. 2003
Tony Watson "Bones" (Newcastle-on-Tyne, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Legend [1985] [DVD] (DVD)
May I suggest that 'surround sound' is turned off???
As all the other reviewers seem to be concentrating on the presentation and not the content of the film, here's my twopence worth.
Definitely not a kid's film, this is a dark, sensual adult film of the age-old theme of the devil wanting darkness to take over the world - requiring the services of a virgin and a unicorn. The visual effects and photography are just brilliant, given the era this was made in - you can see Ridley Scott's influence and imagery in the latest Lord of the Rings films.
The acting is superb;
young Tom Cruise (as Jack) brings off the young lad charged with the task of rescuing the Princess and destroying Darkness with a grace and style that belong to a veteran;
Tim Curry is in his best-ever role here, (even better than Frankenfurter!); the stifled undercurrent of rage is barely held in check as he woos the slightly-willing princess; one is almost convinced by him as he declares his philosophy and aims - "No Good without Evil; no Love without Hate; no Innocence without Lust..." in that rich chocolatey voice; and his laughter and dismissive tone as 'the BOYY!' Jack confronts him sends shivers down one's spine;
and Mia Sara (whatever happened to her?) is both innocence and seduction, and believable in both roles, but her forceful rejection of the Lord of Darkness is as powerful a piece of acting as you will ever get.
Altogether a classic of film-making - seeing it again after several years makes one realise what a masterpiece this is!
Unreservedly recommended. *****

3.0 out of 5 stars Once. Twice. Three times a Legend., 9 Feb. 2012
N. Witton "Dnez" (Darlo. UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Legend [Blu-ray] [1985] (Blu-ray)
There is only 1 reason to buy this blu-ray release. For the EUROPEAN THEATRICAL VERSION, which gives us yet another version of the film, from a Director who seems to like two, three, and in some cases even four versions of one film. It is presented with better sound, than we've had before, Jerry Goldsmith's score can be heard clearly and the dialogue and sound effects are crisp and sharp, giving the listener an all round balance of sound. The picture is the best I've seen it, it's rich in color and sharp in detail, the quality is not lost in the darkness, like the Director's Cut.

My main problem with this release, is the lack of, or NO special features. You get two versions of the film and that's it. Unlike:

Legend [DVD] [1986] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]

This has two versions of the film, US THEATRICAL RELEASE / DIRECTOR'S CUT. A Director's Commentary, and a shed load of extras. The disc's themselves have the original posters printed on them, unlike the blu-ray disc, the menu's are better, beautiful, atmospheric images animated to catch the eye, and the packaging is beautiful, not just publicity photo's layered together in Photoshop. So why couldn't all of these, be incorporated in the blu-ray release too????????????????????

For the true fan, you must get BOTH.

4.0 out of 5 stars Love this film, but..., 25 Mar. 2014
David P. "A Reviewer" (West Sussex, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Legend [1985] [DVD] (DVD)
I'll start off this review by saying that I have always loved this movie. It is one of those many films that I grew up with and loved. This is a definite 80's classic and one of my all time favourite cult movies. There is only one downside to this DVD, which is that it is not the version I grew up with. When I got a copy of this, I was surprised and disappointed to find it is not the same as I remembered; some of the scenes were different, most notably the opening scene, when this movie's main antagonist is introduced. But the biggest difference is the soundtrack. At first, I believed that Ridley Scott had done a George Lucas and Steven Spielberg, and edited this movie. But a little research across the internet proved my assumption to be quite wrong. Truthfully, there are five different versions, all with different running times. This is among those four that features the soundtrack performed by Jerry Goldsmith. The version I grew up with features the soundtrack performed by Tangerine Dream. Of course, we all have our own opinions and persona preferences, but I much prefer the version I grew up with. I suppose nostalgia plays some contribution to my personal opinion, but I also personally feel that Tangerine Dream's soundtrack blends in more well than Jerry Goldsmith's. Whereas Jerry Goldsmith's score gives the film a magical, fairytale feel, Tangerine Dream's gives the film a magical, fantasy feel, as well more depth. I just feel it works a lot more well than Jerry Goldsmith's. To me, Legend is not complete without the classic song, "Loved by the Sun", played during the final scene. But again, that's my personal opinion. Hopefully they'll somehow release the Tangerine Dream version on DVD, here in the UK? Aside from that disappointment, I consider this to be a great film. Here's the plot.

Darkness (played by Tim Curry) resides in his dark lair and plans to shroud the world in eternal darkness, so he can roam the lands freely. In order to do that, the two unicorns must be slaughtered and their horns delivered to him. It's not clear what he is exactly.

As a child, I assumed he was the devil, really because his appearance is the common depiction of the prince of darkness. Now, I'm not too sure what he is. Is he the devil's son or just A devil?

Anyway, Darkness sends his goblin servant, Blix (played by Alice Playten), out on a quest to deliver to him, the horns of the unicorns, as well as to destroy them. I won't say TOO much of the plot, but Blix injures one of the unicorns and takes its horn and it's this time when the world is shrouded in ice and darkness. A princess named Lili (played by Mia Sara) had unknowingly led the goblins (Blix had two companions) to the unicorns, when her lover, Jack (played by Tom Cruise), a young man who lives in the magical forest, took Lili to see the unicorns as a romantic treat.

Jack and Lili are separated after this and Lili learns of the goblins and their actions. Unfortunately, she is captured by them, along with the unicorns. Jack, in the meantime, whilst searching for Lili, meets a forest elf named Honeythorn Gump (played by David Bennent, but voiced by Alice Playten) and his companions, Brown Tom, Screwball and the fairy, Oona. Together, they embark on a quest to rescue Lili and the unicorns, defeat Darkness and retrieve the unicorn horn and restore the world to its former state.

There are several positive things I have to say about this movie. Ridley Scott did an excellent job in capturing the magic in my opinion, and to me, fantasy films featuring mythical creatures, such as elves, goblins, etc, require that magic. The characters were great and the appearance of some really captured that magic, such as Gump's appearance. Other examples include the usage of glitter over some of the mythical characters. The settings really captured that magic too, such as the forest, that features a usage of fairy dust in the air. Even Darkness' fortress captured it too, what with the floor shrouded in thick mist. Of course, this takes it down to a far lower level.

The characters were great, such as the antagonists - Darkness, Blix and Meg Mucklebones, primarily - as well as the protagonists. Then there is the story. This truly is a fantastic fantasy film, but again, I'm just disappointed that this doesn't feature the Tangerine Dream soundtrack. Again, I hope they do release that film some day.

5.0 out of 5 stars "No Good without Evil. No Love without Hate. No Innocence without Lust. I am Darkness.", 4 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Legend [1985] [DVD] (DVD)
-THE FILM-- Tom Cruise stars in this visually-stunning fantasy adventure in which pure good and evil battle to the death amidst spectacular surroundings. Set in a timeless mythical forest inhabited by fairies, goblins, unicorns and mortals, this fantastic story has Tom Cruise, a mystical forest dweller, chosen by fate to undertake a heroic quest. He must save a beautiful princess, Mia Sara, and defeat the demonic Lord of Darkness, Tim Curry, or the world will be plunged into a never-ending ice age. Co-starring Billy Barty and Alice Playten and directed by Ridley Scott, famed for his remarkable settings and unparalleled imagery, the incredibly realized fable is the stuff movie legends are made of.
WHAT CAN I SAY?
the story though a simple tale of good versus evil, has spectacular cinematography, and the score and soundtrack flow with the movie in perfect synchronicity, the imagery gives the full impression of an epic fantasy world, filled with interesting and unusual characters, Tim Curry gives a wonderful portrayal of the personification of Evil. Though not a movie for young children The movie has absolutely amazing cinematography to bring the wonderful scenes to life. Watch the movie
it will transport you into a world full of fantasy and love!
it's beautiful,
it's magical and full of meaning!!
it's one of the first fantasy,
it's good versus evil stories,
it's long long before Harry Potter and Lord of The Rings.
it's such stuff as dreams are made of. This is Legend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bring Back Tangerine Dream Soundtrack!!, 14 April 2007
This review is from: Legend [1985] [DVD] (DVD)
I have to agree with the other reviews. This is a fantastic film, but to me what made it as a child was the Tangerine Dream soundtrack. I was SOOO disappointed when I bought the DVD and found that the soundtrack was different. I have been holding out for a couple of years for the other version but so far no luck. The film is defintely still worth watching, but I much prefer the Tangerine Dream soundtrack. I guess we'll just have to keep on waiting!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars the legend of 3, 25 Feb. 2014
wolfers "bluesman" (uk) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Legend [Blu-ray] [1985] (Blu-ray)
If you love this movie then you will probably buy both the UK and US versions(the US is region free).
UK incl.European and Directors cuts both with Goldsmith score and NO extras.
US Version is the ULITIMATE Edition which incl.Directors cut and Theatrical release.The theatrical has the Tangerine Dream score and a host of bonus features.
Your decision will depend really on what score you prefer and/or if you want some bonus features.
Everybody will have a favourite version, mine for an easy flowing storyline is the Directors cut but I do like the TD score and the extras, so a major plus for the US release, BUT as I love this movie, I have both.
As some reviewers have already stated the perfect movie would be various bits from all 3 to make it really a LEGEND with !!!!!!!!!!!
All 3 have subtle differences ie, some shots have alternative camera angle scenes where you see Darkness rather than just hear his voice, and range from different scenes altogether.
Of note is that the Theatrical cut(US) seems to have the best hd transfer, although the other 2 are equally stunning, The Directors cut has a bigger Meg Mucklebone scene, my favourite character apart from Darkness, in the movie.A shame she didnt feature more, but I suppose that would be difficult without a head eh Jack!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally! both Versions available!, 4 Mar. 2012
Amazing! Finally a Blu ray of this Epic film comes with both the tangerine dream soundtrack that I grew up with AND the directors cut too! so you can choose your viewing to your liking :). It is Region FREE! it plays on Playstation 3!
If you have not seen this film then expect the following... Swords, Sorcery, Demons, Unicorns, a fit princess, Magic, Monsters & Tom Cruise in a young role! kind of like a mini Lord Of The Rings but a bit more magical. If you love all of the above then try it out. Its mint like :).

5.0 out of 5 stars Its no blockbuster but it's a hell of a good watch, 14 Oct. 2006
This review is from: Legend [1985] [DVD] (DVD)
A lot of people criticise the 'wooden' acting and general unrealness of this film, but personally I don't believe that any of that ditracts from the film as a whole. The film was not going to gross millions and millions, but it's still a masterpiece. It's a fairytale, and is true to the surreal and exaggirated nature of those old stories. I suppose watching this film you feel more as if you are watching a play than a realistically acted film, but there is nothing wrong with that.

On the other hand I cannot pass comment on the replaced score. Fortunately for me this was the first version I saw (I think. It was so long ago that I watched it first) so I was spared the experience of missing the Tangerine Dream music that everyone seems to love so much. Personally I don't have a problem with the DVD version score, but that's just me.

In short, the film is definately worth it's price on Amazon, if not any other, and if you have never seen this film before then trust me, it's worth buying it without checking it out before hand. It is a beautiful and engaging masterpiece with a captivating story that you really need to have experienced if you like this film genre.

Legend [1985] [DVD]
Legend [1985] [DVD] by Ridley Scott (DVD - 2002)