on 28 July 2005
As a younger listener of classical music, I have found this album to be a wonderful collection of well loved pieces, all in one place. Perfect. Although previously I did not have much interest in opera, I have found the compositions on this album to be fantastic and I now have a greater appreciation for pieces like Bellini's Casta Diva, and Dvorak's Song to the Moon.
I am only disappointed by one thing, and I am afraid that must be the appalling attitude of anon1659, who thinks that music must be serious to be enjoyed. I have played classical violin since a young age, and find it to be anything but serious. Classical music is beautiful, but you don't need to concentrate when you listen. It has been written to convey emotion, and to be appreciated. You do NOT have to be an intellectual to enjoy any kind of music, and this compilation is a refreshing change to all that 'serious' music! Buy this album, listen and enjoy, as I have done. You will adore this collection. And it absolutely isn't tripe!! It's fabulous!!! ;)
on 16 May 2002
The collection begins with Rachmaninov's third piano concerto, 1st movement. For those of you who have seen the film "Shine," the true mastery of this work will already be apparent. The first CD truely catches the varied moods from films such as "The Lord of the Rings," "Platoon," and "Star Wars."
Not being a fan of opera, I did not initially listen to that particular CD in the collection for a day or two. All I have to say about this is just to give it a listen, it changed my views entirely.
The third CD is again, excellently chosen with eight uplifting pieces, from the beauty of Mendelssohn's Hebrides Overture to Elgar's magnificent Cello concerto.
My only problem with the CD is that the version of "Star Wars" that is played is not the best arrangement I have heard, and feel that the orchestra has not captured the excitement and vision of John Williams. However, please don't let me put you off, as this is only a small glitch in what is a most excellent album, well worth adding to any collection small or large.
on 20 June 2002
This is an amazing album, with many great tracks that I love listening to again and again.
I don't understand why Star Wars was necessary to be included, however, there are many other film soundtracks more worthy.
Apart from that, really enjoyable and a necessary addition to an amateur 'classical' music lovers' collection.
on 10 May 2004
This album is great! It is a fantistic compilation to get people interested in the classical world. Most of the operas have been heard by most pepole anyway. Anybody who says this is anti-intellecual obviously is a purist and is dissapointed in their own ability to appriciiate musical talent. Granted the movie scores and the greates choice to be on their but have you written anything better lately? Also to rubbish Mozart's "Don Giovanni" is an absolute disgrace to the classical world and the person who said it should hang their head in shame. Go buy it. It's bloody marvelous!
on 28 July 2013
I am still searching for a truly great boxed set of Classical music from Rachmaninov, Brahms, Mozart and countless others. My knowledge of the classics is pretty dire to say the least but I just love music and I love listening to fine classical music even though I cannot name the stuff I listen to, call me ignorant but at least I do not completely ignore the genre. I gave this cd a 1 star because seeing "Star Wars" put me off buying it and also the labels next to other pieces of music such as Babe makes the whole CD "tacky"....Classic fm what the heck are you doing?? Don't get me wrong Star Wars, fine movie, fine piece of music but it's not what I call Classical, it's an instrumental soundtrack and a very good one at that but Classical it isn't (in my humble opinion anyway). I was driving in my car the other day with my teenage daughter looking on in horror thinking that her dad had finally lost his marbles as he listened to Brahm's Piano Concerto No.2 but she settled to enjoy the music too. Sometimes in life we need to chillax, so without further ado if anyone can be kind enough to give me the names of one or two CD's as a must have in my oh so weak Classical collection I would be very grateful indeed.
on 6 April 2013
My only quibble with this box set are the mostly unreadable disc lables. My solution was to print out the disc contents from this web site and place them in the disc boxes.
Regarding one upset reviewer I suspect he or she might be a Radio 3 purist culture vulture.
on 20 June 2014
Such beautiful music all of my favorites plus more, extremely happy with my purchase, you won't be disappointed, thank you
on 27 October 2014
Good, not all the music I actually liked. but service excellent from supplier
on 20 December 2015
The Classic FM CD's are superb value and this is no exception.
on 8 July 2014
Just what my husband wanted for his car but not for me,