5.0 out of 5 stars A Real Classic
The whole 4 in the series are great games! You can't say you are an adventurer and not play this game :) Give it a go. Some of the riddles are quite hard. It's a lively game, point and click and good fun keeping the spirit of the previous in the series. Buy it and enjoy...
Published on 26 Dec. 2006 by Crazi

3.0 out of 5 stars control system is terrible
Published on 16 Aug. 2005 by voodoojon

3.0 out of 5 stars control system is terrible, 16 Aug. 2005
This review is from: Lucas Classic Line: Escape from Monkey Island (PC CD) (Video Game)
I loved Monkey 1, 2, 3, but the control system they've put on this game was so annoying that I lost interest in this game. The point and click controls in the earlier chapters were so simple and easy to use that I took them for granted. Now they've replaced this with a system based on either a ps2 style controller or a mass of keys on the keyboard to remember. Even when I had taken the time to learn the functions of the buttons on my controller it's still really frustrating.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Real Classic, 26 Dec. 2006
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Continuation Of The... Legacy?, 10 May 2004
By A Customer
The TM after every LucasArts trademark is brilliant and the ridiculousness that is Guybrush Threepwood (not just a silly name) could sell games in itself.
Anyway it is not a reasonably sane game in any way at all. Rather, it is a haven for adventurers with a warped sense of humour or just for the people who like to laugh at pony-tailed pirate wanabees who talk willingly to monkeys. Yes, this is the game of the twenty first century. Though it has stale graphics as we approach new technology, it is still as playable and adventurous as it was before.
Yes, you may compete in such ridiculous events as Monkey Kombat amongst others and you may run across some prosthetic limbs etc. which will assist in trampoling Guybrush and the likes. And, yes, yes, YES! There are more pirates than ever before, with the reintroduction of fellow pirates Carla and Otis from the original Monkey Island... And Insult Arm Wrestling! The only criticisms would be that there is no insult swordfighting and the barbers of the Barberry coast are no longer providing the excellent soundtrack of The Curse Of Monkey Island.
Overall an amazing game and the only let down being the graphics. Mark off for the graphics.

3.0 out of 5 stars Ultimately the most disappointing of the four, 15 Nov. 2002
LucasArts have certainly pulled out all the stops in terms of graphics in this visually stunning adventure but sadly, for the first time, we have a Monkey Island game thats occasionally a chore to play.
For starters, purists will hate the abandonment of the point-and-click simplicity of the previous games as it moves to a more console-based control method, but that's not the major gripe.
Quite simply this game is not as funny as the others. Every one of the other games had laugh out loud hilarity about some of the exchanges, but it's strangely lacking in this outing.
Add to the fact that some of the puzzles can only be solved by pure chance rather than the mad logic evident in the first three and we have a game that looks the business, but is let down by pure playability. This is a real shame as the series started on the premise of sheer invention with gameplay far more important than graphics and sound. Melee Island is also a shadow of the incredible, thriving town we encountered first time round with very few of the terrific locations and characters.
Don't get me wrong - there is plenty here to enjoy. Some old favourites return and there are some nice plot twists, but I was left more than a little disappointed by this huge, but ultimately hollow addition to a line which should have heaps more mileage left in it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another excellent monkey!, 9 Dec. 2012
It's an excellent game and in 3D. For me I didn't really like it at first but grew to like it. The game itself is typical Monkey. Very difficult at times and very humorous! If you're a fan it's a must really! There's no mouse interface for this game and if you ain't got a Gamepad then you're stuck with the keyboard - it's well worth having a Gamepad for this game!

4.0 out of 5 stars MONKEY ISLAND FRY UP, 30 Aug. 2005
Rockelle S. Joseph "chynawitch" (London, England) - See all my reviews
Starthing at the beginning, with the keyboard controls. My GOSH!!! It was just tooooooo HARD. I wrote them down and still couldn't get it but thankfully there is an option to change the controls so I changed them to something I could remember better.
Next up the looks of the game.........I have to say I enjoyed the 3d look just as much as the 2d I think guybrush looks very handsome......only problem is ELAINE she looks AWFUL and they changed her voice from English to American which I must say was a HUGE dissapointment I liked Elaine better in MI2 she seems somewhat ruder in this version.
ANYHOW I like the look of the game overall but it had a tendency to CRASH quite alot. I didn't like the insult arm restling very much and the game was extreemly hard at some points were I found myself hunting on the internet for cheats:-( The monkey combat was difficult to master, I had to write them down but once I got it I felt very proud of myself. Cheats couldn't get me out of that Jam because the code varied from game to game.
I enjoyed exploring the islands and I found it refreshing that guybrush actually changed clothes this time (*@%$$??) I really felt a part of this virtual world and was captivated by the beauty of it. I found some parts really funny like when the two pirates are throwing insults and one calls the other a monkey molester?!!! Anyway I took of a star coz of all the crashing and that. But a very good game which I played before monkey 2 and the secret of monkey island and my love of the series prompted me to find and move onto the much loved GRIM FANDANGO.
Overall its a good game but in comparison to MONKEY ISLAND 2 and GRIM FANDANGO it cannot hold up but still and EXCELLENT game and it you own this but notMI2 or GRIM I believe u would find it so worthwhile to own these 2. MUCH LOVE-CHYNAWITCH

5.0 out of 5 stars fab game, 9 Mar. 2002
This game is one of the funniest games ever. The game system is easy to play. Graphics are excellent (or at least a big improvement). Guybrush threepwood is as sharp witted as ever and the ending is truely amazing. Murray uberskull of the demonic underworld makes a welcome return. And Le chuck is as evil and maloderous as ever. If you missed these games get them now!!

5.0 out of 5 stars You've gotta love it!, 15 Dec. 2006
S. Hide (East Sussex) - See all my reviews
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I remember playing the very first installment of the monkey island series on an old amiga console that someone had given to us when I was about 8 years old. I loved it then and I love it now 11 years later. All four of the games in this series are absolute classics.

This fourth game brings back some of the characters from the other games such as the voodoo lady, Carla the Pirate and Murray the talking skull, all of whom Guybrush meets during yet another bizarre adventure. This time Guybrush must try and re-instate his new wife Elaine as governor and track down and stop the evil investor taking over the islands and turning them into tourist traps! Along the way he encounters a man with no nose, some prosthetic limbs and a couple of talking parrots all making for yet another enjoyable and amusing game.

I did find the set controls difficult to use but it's simple enough to change them to something easier so it wasn't really a problem. I also found some of the challenges quite difficult to master (especially the truth telling parrot one!) but you can easily find walkthroughs on the internet or you may just be more intelligent than me (you probably are!). I really do recommend this game to everyone. Whether you're a fan of the other games or new to the series you won't be disappointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Love this game, 25 Sept. 2013
I discovered this game years ago, but lost my progress when I switched from Mac to PC. A few years later I thought I'd give it another go. I like adventure/puzzle games because you don't generally need good timing or gaming ability. Escape from Monkey Island is a good game, and Guybrush is hilarious.

However, it is quite glitchy (as I remember it being when I played before). Make sure you save in a new slot after each island, because if you get stuck in a glitch you can end up losing your progress.

5.0 out of 5 stars Guybrush Rules!, 10 May 2002
Simon Slator "coldsun" (Tamworth) - See all my reviews
Three sequels and the series just does not seem to tire! As the box promises, there are all new jokes and insults with plenty of challenges... and quite a few monkeys.
The graphics are incredibe - especially the intricately drawn and atmospheric backdrops that adorn the islands. The only gripe is that the controls are a little funny at first, but you get used to them after a few minutes.
If you enjoyed the first three, MI4 will give you something fresh, challenging and exciting. But if you need reason to buy it, I will say this: after a two-game absense, MI4 FINALLY brings back the world famous "Rubber Chicken with a Pully in the Middle"!

Lucas Classic Line: Escape from Monkey Island (PC CD)
Used & New from: £4.90